• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

So we have finally managed to find Malloy, and in the very last second no less. It seems like Tex’s timing in this game is suspiciously impeccable, this is the second time that we just happen to be at the right place at the right time, surely it can’t be because Tex was followed and led the NSA straight to Malloy.  Tex is much too professional for that, it has to simply be a case of perfect timing for dramatic purposes, which as we all know, is an important part of narrative.

And not only did we manage to find Malloy, Fitzpatrick has also decided to come clean and tell us his real reason and what this is all about. I knew he wasn’t being completely honest with us!

Soooo… Case Solve - I guess!
We have done what we were hire to do, all questions answered, nothing left to do!
Please make the check out to cash.
Perhaps we should take a little trip to Phoenix to sort things out with Chelsee, and if that doesn’t work Regan seemed like she might be interested.
I kind of expected the game would be longer, but I guess not - Thanks everybody for participating in this Community Playthrough!

Tex? TEX?!?
Well perhaps the fat lady haven’t sung just yet, it seems like Tex aren’t satisfied with simply solving the case he was hire to solve. For whatever reason he might have (altruistic or selfish), he has decided to join Fitzpatrick on a crusade to save the world.

Time to officially start the playthrough of DAY 5 of the game. As it seems like many has fallen a bit behind here on Day 4, I have decided to add a little extra time to this chapter compared to my original plan, also note that even though it isn’t necessarily a long chapter then there are a couple of difficult puzzles. You have until Saturday the 19 of April evening CET time-zone to complete Day 5.

Trigger point: None should be needed as the game is changing character, and is becoming more linear with only little or nothing that can’t be delayed to later chapters.

Tip of the Day: There is some extra cash that can be found in this chapter, but I won’t say where Naughty

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m afraid that I’m stuck down in the sewer with the beeping device. (Still on Day 4.) I stop where it beeps like mad and search everywhere, but the only hotspot I find is on a couple of boxes, which simply give a standard response. Where should I look? I’ve scanned the ceiling, walls, and the areas around the water, but no luck so far.

I loved the fight on the rooftops. Went back to see it a second time. I like the way Tex straightens his hat between punches, and puts away that metal thing that he was using as a weapon (to make the fight “more fair”?) and then gets punched just about into insensibility. I take it the reason Dag fell from the roof was that he partly tripped over Tex’s coat?

I enjoyed Mac silhouetted against the blinds, emphasizing the nose and the pony tail.
I’m trying to remember how Tex first learned that Dag was an NSA alumnus. I don’t remember Tex finding anything about that in the Autotec office. Did I miss something?

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m back on track, having finished Day 4 this afternoon. I did have to go into Day 5 a bit. Not that I had a choice! Kevin McCarthy is really good. I will never forget him in Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

There were a few things I didn’t like. I’m not sure why it was necessary to go back to Malloy’s room a second time. Couldn’t the blue jeans have ben left there to find during the first visit? Also the instructions for disabling the Clayborn mine were given verbally by Tex. I had to replay that scene four or five times while taking notes to make sure I understood them. That was more than a little tedious.

Glad to know that we have a little more time to complete Day 5.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 05 April 2014 06:10 PM

I’m afraid that I’m stuck down in the sewer with the beeping device. (Still on Day 4.) I stop where it beeps like mad and search everywhere, but the only hotspot I find is on a couple of boxes, which simply give a standard response. Where should I look? I’ve scanned the ceiling, walls, and the areas around the water, but no luck so far.

When you get to the spot where it beeps non-stop, do a pixel hunt on the left-hand wall. I hope you found the chisel when you first entered the sewer on Day 2. I did not, and spent a lot of time aimlessly looking for something. Re: Dag, I think there was a picture of him on his office wall.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Thanks Tim—with your help I got it.

And my score is now up to 9! Clearly time to borrow more money.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 05 April 2014 03:01 PM

Tanya Roberts is absolutely fantastic as Regan and her scene with Tex was perfect… Barry Corbin as psychopathic bully Jackson Cross was also a delight…
* (final scene) Kevin McCarthy really steals any scene he’s in.

Yeah there really is some good acting here, and I thought the exact same thing about Kevin McCarthy both in general, but also specifically when watching that scene. Even though Chris Jones is perfect as Tex and I can’t imagine anyone else playing that role, then it does show what a first class actor can bring to a game.

Incidentally I just checked Tanya Roberts IMDb page, and it seems like she has both appeared in Playboy magazine and as a Bond girl in A View to a Kill.

Which I really wouldn’t have expected based on her appearance in TPD:

But I guess it explains why she was cast in the role of a femme fatale, as I never really found her very attractive in this game, or understood why Tex was so infatuated by her Wink

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Iznogood - 06 April 2014 03:11 PM
Kurufinwe - 05 April 2014 03:01 PM

Tanya Roberts is absolutely fantastic as Regan and her scene with Tex was perfect… Barry Corbin as psychopathic bully Jackson Cross was also a delight…
* (final scene) Kevin McCarthy really steals any scene he’s in.

Yeah there really is some good acting here, and I thought the exact same thing about Kevin McCarthy both in general, but also specifically when watching that scene. Even though Chris Jones is perfect as Tex and I can’t imagine anyone else playing that role, then it does show what a first class actor can bring to a game.

Yeah, and you have to realize that, at this point, Fitzpatrick is just a plot exposition device. It’s impressive how McCarthy manages to make those scenes so gripping.

To me, the quality of the acting is a big part of what makes TPD the best Tex Murphy game. The game does embrace the cheesiness of the whole FMV thing at times, but when it comes to the main characters, the actors are treating their job seriously and doing really great. I’ve always felt that Overseer was a huge step down in that respect: Rebecca Broussard looked like she couldn’t act if her life depended on it (the little girl’s dress and that disgusting wig certainly didn’t help either), and Michael York was hammy as fuck (as usual?).

But I guess it explains why she was cast in the role of a femme fatale, as I never really found her very attractive in this game, or understood why Tex was so infatuated by her Wink

Oh come on. She may have been past her prime in TPD, but she has infinite charm. And she does a fantastic job at making her character more complex and multi-layered than just another calculating femme fatale.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 April 2014 03:44 PM

Oh come on. She may have been past her prime in TPD, but she has infinite charm. And she does a fantastic job at making her character more complex and multi-layered than just another calculating femme fatale.

True, she does a fantastic job in the role, and it wasn’t meant as a critique of her performance. But still… I have never really found Regan attractive in this game, and that is also important in a femme fatale role. Also it isn’t just a case of her age, I really don’t think the short hair and especially her pale complexion does her any justice, but I guess that is what sleeping all day and only going out at night does to you Wink

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I was really enjoying day 5 until I realised you need to solve the slider puzzle in under one minute to get maximum points.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kurufinwe - 06 April 2014 03:44 PM

Yeah, and you have to realize that, at this point, Fitzpatrick is just a plot exposition device. It’s impressive how McCarthy manages to make those scenes so gripping.

To me, the quality of the acting is a big part of what makes TPD the best Tex Murphy game. The game does embrace the cheesiness of the whole FMV thing at times, but when it comes to the main characters, the actors are treating their job seriously and doing really great. I’ve always felt that Overseer was a huge step down in that respect: Rebecca Broussard looked like she couldn’t act if her life depended on it (the little girl’s dress and that disgusting wig certainly didn’t help either), and Michael York was hammy as fuck (as usual?).

Not a fan of Michael York? Smile
I’ve said it another thread but I think PD has some great acting in some parts, but it’s bogged down by some painfully bad acting by some of the support characters. Overseer and UaKM are more balanced (I thought York did great) and Chris Jones and Suzanne Barnes get better with each game.

harald - 06 April 2014 04:28 PM

I was really enjoying day 5 until I realised you need to solve the slider puzzle in under one minute to get maximum points.

I fear for your sanity if you have to restart the game again Smile but I hope you get those maximum points!

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I thought Tex was rather cool to her during their encounter in his office, even though she seemed to be acting as seductively as possible. This struck me as an iconic noir detective mystery moment, when the gorgeous client walks into the gumshoe’s office, and he takes the case even though it’s clear she’s nothing but trouble. Except that, usually that particular encounter happens at the beginning of the story, not partway through. And Regan didn’t appear to be there to hire him—just to influence him and/or pump him for information.

I don’t understand Malloy’s action in mailing those boxes to various people he cared about—wasn’t that putting all of them in danger? He might have been better off mailing them to all his enemies, knowing that the NSA would eventually take them all down.

I’m starting to warm up to Mac’s character a bit. The first time I visited his office very early in the game, all he would talk about was himself. I thought he was a waste of space. Now that I know that the NSA is involved, I’m assuming that Mac already knew that the NSA was haunting Chandler Avenue, and therefore he couldn’t help Tex much. Must have been rather uncomfortable for him.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For iconic femme fatale watch Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid. “Just adjusting your willie.” is a classic line.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Becky - 06 April 2014 08:39 PM

I’m starting to warm up to Mac’s character a bit.

Were you aware that Mac was played by (the late) Kevin Jones who was the brother of Chris Jones (Tex)?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Wondered how I could have missed those blue jeans first time around!

Enjoying day 5 now, couple of great puzzles got the numbers for safe but needed a little help for the order Also took a while to open Emily’s box Solutions are all there though.

Becky - 07 April 2014 12:39 AM
just to influence him and/or pump him for information.

Sorry, maybe it’s because I’m Scottish, but this made me laugh. Grin

Cheers
Nod

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

harald - 06 April 2014 04:28 PM

Soo… I probably shouldn’t tell you that I fluked it, and got (almost) max points without even trying to do so Tongue

I thought Tex was rather cool to her during their encounter in his office, even though she seemed to be acting as seductively as possible…

Tex might be acting cool now,

but it doesn’t necessarily stays that way, at least not if Regan has any say in the matter Tongue Besides remember the quotes from the book Kurufinwe posted earlier, when Tex first meets Regan? It is pretty clear that Tex is not unaffected by her charm.

I don’t understand Malloy’s action in mailing those boxes to various people he cared about—wasn’t that putting all of them in danger? He might have been better off mailing them to all his enemies, knowing that the NSA would eventually take them all down.

LOL - I don’t think that is how Malloy was thinking, had he know the consequences of his actions, he might have done things a bit differently. A better action might simply have been to destroy his research, but what true scientist is capable of that?

I’m starting to warm up to Mac’s character a bit. The first time I visited his office very early in the game, all he would talk about was himself. I thought he was a waste of space…

Nah - I think your first impression of Mac was more correct. I seriously doubt Mac had the slightest idea of what was going on, at least not until after the fact.

rtrooney - 06 April 2014 10:56 PM

For iconic femme fatale watch Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid. “Just adjusting your willie.” is a classic line.

I hadn’t had my willie adjusted like that in a long time, especially without having to beg. Grin

Oh Man, do you know what you have done, now I won’t be able to rest until I have found a copy of that movie. I will probably end up going on a Steve Martin trip, and also watch both All Of Me and The Man With Two Brains.

Speaking of The Man With Two Brains, time for some Tex quotes:

The label says ‘Abbie, Abbie normal.’ I hope someone doesn’t accidentally use this brain.
Which becomes even more disturbing in combination with:
‘How I Did It’, by Victor Fraunkensteen. I get the feeling that evil experiments have been done here.

And of course:

And we also get to solve a small mystery that was left over from UaKM. Cool

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top