• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #27: Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive

Total Posts: 1799

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Becky - 30 March 2014 08:11 AM
HandsFree - 30 March 2014 06:42 AM

I don’t understand how you can end up with not enough money.

It’s sooo easy to spend money. I’ve tried to reconstruct it, and I think this is what happened:

I started with $4000. I paid Nilo $2100 for rent, Louise $200 that I owed him for food, Nilo $100 for information and then Nilo again $500 for the code. I redeemed the pawn shop ticket from Rook and don’t remember exactly how much that was, but it must have been enough to put me below the $1230 I owed at the electronics shop.I mailed the orphanage money to them, and I hadn’t yet found the drug money.

So when I walked into the electronics shop without enough to pay the debt there, the game offered to give me $500 in exchange for 500 points so I could pay my electronics shop debt. Including the (punishing) amount of interest.

You’re big mistake Becky was to pay Nilo the $500. It wasn’t necessary to give him a brass farthing.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

The strange thing is that I actually tried to do that but it just didn’t happen (unless I don’t remember it correctly).
I tried to pay but Tex just refused and got the code anyway.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 29 March 2014 08:39 PM

I’m not sure I understand the points system, other than you can trade them for dollars if you find yourself with an empty wallet.

Maybe Iz can explain what the points are all about.

The point system is quite simple.

Every time you complete some task or solve a puzzle including the optional puzzles, you get some points. Every time you use the hint system it will cost you a few points and if you skip puzzles you wont get any points for that puzzle, and as Becky discovered it is also possible to convert points to cash. The maximum amount of points you can get on ENT level is 1500, which would require that you don’t use the hint system and solve all puzzles (and don’t run out of cash).

On GP mode there is a maximum of 4000 points, the extra points mainly comes from bonus points that can be gained at the isolated puzzles, where there is either a time-limit or a max number of moves, if you solve the puzzle in less time or moves then the limit then you get some bonus points. (especially the time-limits is however brutal, and will required several tries where you already know the solution) But there is also a few extra puzzles and you get bonus points from clicking on some specific hotspots. On GP mode it is also more expensive to convert points to cash costing either 1000 or 1500 points for 500$

The points however has absolutely no influence on the game, or the ending you will get.

Jabod - 30 March 2014 09:06 AM
Becky - 30 March 2014 08:11 AM
HandsFree - 30 March 2014 06:42 AM

I don’t understand how you can end up with not enough money.

It’s sooo easy to spend money. I’ve tried to reconstruct it, and I think this is what happened:

I started with $4000. I paid Nilo $2100 for rent, Louise $200 that I owed him for food, Nilo $100 for information and then Nilo again $500 for the code. I redeemed the pawn shop ticket from Rook and don’t remember exactly how much that was, but it must have been enough to put me below the $1230 I owed at the electronics shop.I mailed the orphanage money to them, and I hadn’t yet found the drug money.

So when I walked into the electronics shop without enough to pay the debt there, the game offered to give me $500 in exchange for 500 points so I could pay my electronics shop debt. Including the (punishing) amount of interest.

You’re big mistake Becky was to pay Nilo the $500. It wasn’t necessary to give him a brass farthing.

If you pay everyone everything immediately then it is actually impossible not to run out of cash, even if you do find all the extra cash that can be found in the game. The problem is of course that on your first playthrough you really don’t know what you need to pay and what is more optional, and you don’t know what expenses can be delayed until you find some extra cash, so it is actually quite normal that players run out of cash on their first playthrough.

They were perhaps a bit too shrewd when they designed this part of the game imo.

BTW: Jobod is right, it isn’t necessary to pay Nilo the extra $500 for the code. But you could also have delayed sending the orphanage money, giving Nilo his wallet back and redeemed the pawn shop ticket, until some extra money can be found later in the game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

HandsFree - 30 March 2014 09:14 AM

The strange thing is that I actually tried to do that but it just didn’t happen (unless I don’t remember it correctly).
I tried to pay but Tex just refused and got the code anyway.

Either you accidentally clicked on the wrong response or you simply don’t remember it correctly, as one of the responses is to pay the money.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

wilco - 29 March 2014 08:44 PM
Kurufinwe - 29 March 2014 04:05 PM

3) Of course, the question is: who can this mysterious caller be? Anyone care to venture a guess? (That includes people who’ve already played the game but not read the book.)

I’m not that far into the book, so I’ll try
- Lucia/Lucas and Gordon wouldn’t be secretive and I can’t remember any other character with connection to Autotech, so I can only guess Regan (in one of her manipulative games) but maybe I’m missing something

That would also be my guess, it’s hard to imagine it could be anyone else.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

harald - 27 March 2014 07:15 PM

...Turns out I wasted $700 on Nilo for nothing the first time around… Honestly, it feels better this way. And I’m still on Boy Scout Boulevard. That one was a little bit better!

You might want to consider giving Nilo his wallet back if you also plan on ending on Mission Street, as there is 2 boy scout points to be earned by this.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

With the start of Day 4 rapidly approaching let me once again ask a couple of questions to round of this chapter. I must admit the only questions I can think of is regarding your path and the ladies in the game.
(Click on the links as this site doesn’t allow pictures in spoilers, and the questions/pictures are slightly spoilerish)

1) Regarding:

Did you manage to Option A or did Option B happen?

2) Regarding:

Did you get a Option A or a Option B or… is there an Option C I don’t know about?

Total Posts: 1799

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

For me I got A for Emily and for Chelsee I got a message that you don’t know about (apparently). Mine says that she’s safely arrived in Phoenix and it’s almost as hot there as it was in Tex’s office.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 30 March 2014 12:13 PM

For me I got A for Emily and for Chelsee I got a message that you don’t know about (apparently). Mine says that she’s safely arrived in Phoenix and it’s almost as hot there as it was in Tex’s office.

Ah…Hehe… I kind of suspected there would be an option c, but I have never been able to get this long in the game while staying on Mission Street myself.

My own answers btw is B and B (Tragic Tex).

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 29 March 2014 07:48 AM

I’m way behind—near the beginning of Day Three.

Do you think you will be able to catch up?
The next chapter will be played relative fast, but I can add a few extra days to it if you need it.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Iznogood - 30 March 2014 12:45 PM

Do you think you will be able to catch up?
The next chapter will be played relative fast, but I can add a few extra days to it if you need it.

Yes, I should be able to catch up on Monday.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I got option A for both ladies!

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Edit: Option A for both.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Option A for both too.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

So it turns out that the NSA is the villains in this game, or are they?
Well at least we managed to save… eh… well at least we managed to stop a dangerous killer!
But what the h… is going on here, have we somehow stumbled upon some covert NSA operation, or was DH just some rogue agent on a killing streak, or both, or somewhere in between? Why is NSA even involved in this, surely it can’t just be because of that film we found earlier, there has to be more to it than this.

Call me suspicious, but I’m finding it harder and harder to believe that Fitzpatrick is really just searching for an old friend and that he doesn’t know more about what is going on than what he has told us. And what is up with that package that Emily had just received, is it just me or did DH seem more interested in the package than in Emily? Didn’t we also hear/read about someone else who was expecting a package?

We also still haven’t learned anything about Emily’s connection with Malloy and her involvement in this, whatever this might be. Well there is one thing I know for sure, I’m really looking forward to finally getting a chance to properly question her… eh… well I’m sure I can find someone who knows something!

Time to officially start the playthrough of DAY 4 of the game, you have until Saturday the 5 of April evening CET time-zone to complete this chapter.

Once again we will play a chapter relative fast, but I will once again add some extra time to the next chapter, in order to allow anyone who falls behind in Day 4 to catch up.

The “trigger point” that will lead you towards Day 5, is when you enter a certain warehouse. So once again, make sure to follow as many leads, complete as many objectives and solve as many puzzles as possible before the “trigger point”.

Tip of the Day: I’m not sure it is actually necessary, but as a safety precaution I recommend saving the game every time you plan to return to your office, just before you actually do it.

Edit: Now I am sure, you should definitely save before returning to your office.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top