• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5 - Episode 2

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

This has to be the first in a long time, that I have literally laughed out loud at an adventure game.

I have only just started episode 2, but so far I’m absolutely loving it especially the witty dialogue and of course this goat puzzle.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Currently playing the Montserrat section. I can’t belive just how good this game turned out. It looks beyond amazing. The puzzles are just so wonderful and then of course as a cherry on the cake there was the return of my favourite secondary character(s).

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Due to some positive comments, I just picked up BS5 and played through the first episode in two days, and now I’m at the beginning of the second one… The game is definitely better than I expected, not perfect, but good. Even the character models, my biggest “fear” while seeing the preview material, are not bad at all, with some great and fluid animation, THOUGH - there’s still some discrepancy between their look and the old voices - every time George speaks, I just can’t relate with the new look and I’m imagining old models. Somehow, even 3D models in BS3 had more life&charm; to it. I’m glad the game managed to change my opinion about models looking sucky, but the fact remains that I’d still rate them “worst” when compared to all 4 previous games.

Backgrounds are, for the most part, breathtaking, perhaps a little bit on the colorful side, but definitely deserving the highest praise. If only they toned down the palette slightly to avoid that “casual”, “children coloring book” feel to it (just look at this screen (even though I thought the puzzle is OK), I’d rate them amongst the best 2D works so far - for example, the whole Spanish hacienda part is toned down slightly to the dominant yellow-brownish palette and looks absolutely magnificent! This and this is ART, IMO. It’s only ashame there’s not more of small background animations, for example in this screen it’s only the eagle, or chimes in front of the house, while the trees stand perfectly still. I know it’s a budget issue and question of time constraint, but seeing for example this Black Mirror scene and spotting the tree on the left waving slightly on the wind, it’s easy to conclude such small things can significantly boost the atmosphere.

As for the puzzles, there were already some great ones - I though that the Aladdin puzzle presented a welcomed “out of the box thinking” change of pace. Also, the whole fireplace/painting puzzle in Spain is wonderful! (it’s just that I needed a first level hint… is it me or you can’t deduce whether they’re barefooted or not simply by looking at the photo, at least not until you right-click the statues?). As for the goat, it was nice, but I couldn’t help but thinking that it was able to even match the original goat puzzle if they only hadn’t spoon-fed the players once you send the goat to a pile of apples, George makes it clear you shouldn’t be interacting with it - it could have been the biggest trolling goat of all time Grin though, I was still significantly stuck here.

My other minor gripes are the slowness when you need to wait for characters to finish their routine, and the fact that you can’t walk while inspecting your inventory - I hate not being able to do that! But on the other hand, the game is greatly optimized! (seriously, Daedalic should pay great sum of money to Revolution optimization/loading times team). Also, I love how they managed to repeat the same historical vibe & mystery as in Cirle of Blood story, and I’m loving where it’s taking me so far, though I hate the fact that like in the best mystery movie traditions the plot seems so overwhelming and complicated to follow with precise. Frown

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

diego - 21 April 2014 03:14 PM

Also, the whole fireplace/painting puzzle in Spain is wonderful! (it’s just that I needed a first level hint… is it me or you can’t deduce whether they’re barefooted or not simply by looking at the photo, at least not until you right-click the statues?)

You don’t need to know that at least not from the photo, only if they are wearing a hat or not, which you can tell from the photo, and which colour should be respectively left or right which can be seen in the notes from the priest, and the barefooted or not can then be deduced from the two statues being identical (except colour).

I’m pretty happy to say that I got through the whole Castell del Sants part, without using a single hint.

BTW: Shouldn’t you be playing The Pandora Directive instead, to catch up with the Community Playthrough? Tongue

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Diego, the proportions of your screenshots look all wrong to me. Is that what you see when you play the game?

Here’s the same scene on my computer. I played in windowed mode. But that shouldn’t change the proportions, right?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Finished the game. Pretty satisfactory ending. Honestly found the puzzles some of the best I encountered in adventure gaming and contrary to Diego I love these character models.

Too lazy to write up a full review but I rate it 4.2 out of 5 stars. Bring out BS6 please.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 21 April 2014 05:06 PM

Diego, the proportions of your screenshots look all wrong to me. Is that what you see when you play the game?

Yeah I also noticed that, I believe it is because he is playing on a 4/3 monitor and uses fullscreen mode 1 which distorts the 16/9 images. On mode 2 it instead adds black bars below and above the picture, and on mode 3 (which I use myself) it instead crops the images.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Iznogood - 21 April 2014 04:26 PM
diego - 21 April 2014 03:14 PM

Also, the whole fireplace/painting puzzle in Spain is wonderful! (it’s just that I needed a first level hint… is it me or you can’t deduce whether they’re barefooted or not simply by looking at the photo, at least not until you right-click the statues?)

You don’t need to know that at least not from the photo, only if they are wearing a hat or not, which you can tell from the photo, and which colour should be respectively left or right which can be seen in the notes from the priest, and the barefooted or not can then be deduced from the two statues being identical (except colour).

Yes, but I still felt like they could represent the barefooted/sandals difference slightly more detectable, thus presenting players various ways to solve that puzzle.

Iznogood - 21 April 2014 04:26 PM

BTW: Shouldn’t you be playing The Pandora Directive instead, to catch up with the Community Playthrough? Tongue

I’ll try, really! I promise not to start another game beside BS5 & TPD. Grin

BTW, I have a feeling the background artist have mastered their job better and better as the game progressed - another amazing scene:

and if this was “Match that screen!” thread, I’d say it reminds me of TWW:

Iznogood - 21 April 2014 05:17 PM
Karlok - 21 April 2014 05:06 PM

Yeah I also noticed that, I believe it is because he is playing on a 4/3 monitor and uses fullscreen mode 1 which distorts the 16/9 images. On mode 2 it instead adds black bars below and above the picture, and on mode 3 (which I use myself) it instead crops the images.

Indeed - it is because in this mode I haven’t experienced any of the flickering, and I don’t actually mind bigger character models. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 21 April 2014 05:19 PM

Indeed - it is because in this mode I haven’t experienced any of the flickering, and I don’t actually mind bigger character models. Smile

Flickering? Haven’t experienced any.
Bigger character models?  Nico has become positively anorexic!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 21 April 2014 05:47 PM

Nico has become positively anorexic!

Haven’t you heard it’s the latest fashion?

Iznogood - 21 April 2014 02:18 PM

This has to be the first in a long time, that I have literally laughed out loud at an adventure game.

How about, while in the flower shop, when George asks about some inventory object:

George: Why do I need it?
Fleur: Do you want the long or the short story?
George: Short.
Fleur: Because you do.

Grin

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

diego - 21 April 2014 05:19 PM

But the characters don’t look bigger, they look horribly deformed.

*breaks into an educational rap about aspect ratio proportion*

You dig?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oh, for crying out loud, here, I changed the resolution!

Happy? (Nico sure looks happy! And fat!)

Can we move on with the discussion? (and I’ll revert to the old resolution, tehehe…)

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

Finished it just now. That final location was really small! But I guess that has something to do with the fact that it was a stretch goal. One that they reached albeit but still. All in all I really enjoyed it. It wasn’t perfect but I had more fun with both parts than I’ve had with any game in some time. My favourite part of the game was definitally Montserrat because it both looked stunning and had the best puzzles of the game. Especially the parts with the cable cars were brilliant! I would rate it the third best Broken Sword thus far. After The Sleeping Dragon and the original Broken Sword respectively. It’s a return to greatness for the series and I really hope there’ll be a Broken Sword 6 in the distant future. As long as it’s as good as this one of course.

Four stars out of five.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

^
Haven’t final areas always been small within the BS franchise?

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Finally finished the game. Excellent, and I’m totally glad I backed. Just wishes I backed for more money. It is definitely my third favorite in the series (first, second, this one, third (by a hair) and then the fourth, which I actually did enjoy). Nothing I could probably add to the conversation, other than this:

By far, my favorite joke in the game is right in the beginning. As George, if you look at the stained glass at the cafe, George says, “I always was a sucker for Parisian stained glass.” But if you look at it as Nico, she mentions how only tourists seem to really love Parisian stained glass. Hilarious!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top