• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PS4 or XB1??

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

It’s nothing to do with expanding their mind. They just don’t find it useful for what they/we want. And looking at what they’ve offered us so far with Kinect, I’d have to agree.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Tad - 15 May 2014 01:58 AM

It’s nothing to do with expanding their mind. They just don’t find it useful for what they/we want. And looking at what they’ve offered us so far with Kinect, I’d have to agree.

Isn’t that the definition of “Expanding your mind”. Going beyond what they find useful? Its what it can not not what it could do for me at this very moment. Thats why its called “expanding your mind”.

Once again, like I said before in this thread. People just want a prettier version of what they’ve experience before. Not innovation or progression.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Monolith - 15 May 2014 01:44 PM

Isn’t that the definition of “Expanding your mind”. Going beyond what they find useful? Its what it can not not what it could do for me at this very moment. Thats why its called “expanding your mind”.

Once again, like I said before in this thread. People just want a prettier version of what they’ve experience before. Not innovation or progression.

No. Expanding your mind requires a reason to. No one (or few) wanted gaming to go in that direction.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Tad - 15 May 2014 02:48 PM
Monolith - 15 May 2014 01:44 PM

No. Expanding your mind requires a reason to. No one (or few) wanted gaming to go in that direction.

Saddest reply ever.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

How is it?

People were hyped about motion controls at first, loads of people wanted it. However, after sometime people decided against it as the cons outweighted the pros of the technology. With that, they looked for other ideas (VR headsets for example), but MS decided to force the older method on us.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 15 May 2014 06:28 PM

How is it?

People were hyped about motion controls at first, loads of people wanted it. However, after sometime people decided against it as the cons outweighted the pros of the technology. With that, they looked for other ideas (VR headsets for example), but MS decided to force the older method on us.

Well you cannot blame if he belongs to this crowd

Wink

Thats his prerogative.

But Kinect was fad and just like every other fad it died.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Oh right, I see the potential in the kinect, therefore I fit in your shallow understanding of your pathetic world.

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Oh, at least for me the sadness of the post very much comes from “expanding your mind requires a reason to”, not the part about gaming.

Tell that to all the artists, philosophers etc. in the world. Expanding your mind is the reason.

And no, I’m very much not talking about gaming here…

But back to the Kinect stuff, I agree that so far there was not so much that was great. But there’s been a lot of potential shown, just at least so far not refined to a full game. Like, look at Fru, something that was done in just 48 hours.

Even if 99,99 % of the population can’t think of anything innovative to do with something, it only takes that 0,01 and suddenly everything’s seen in a new perspective.

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

That was exactly my point though. People start expanding their mind once they find something of interest. Once they have that, they start to explore what can and can’t be done. It’s always been the case. Kinect is a great bit of technology on its own, but MS have failed to show why we should want it and why we should pay for it to improve our games. Kinect has already shown promise outside of gaming (didn’t a doctor use a modded version of it to help me?)

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Tad - 16 May 2014 11:50 AM

That was exactly my point though. People start expanding their mind once they find something of interest. Once they have that, they start to explore what can and can’t be done. It’s always been the case. Kinect is a great bit of technology on its own, but MS have failed to show why we should want it and why we should pay for it to improve our games. Kinect has already shown promise outside of gaming (didn’t a doctor use a modded version of it to help me?)

I don’t think I was even arguing that the Kinect failed its purpose with the console, but it wasn’t always the case that people are required to wait for a set of conditions before they explore the technology. If that was the case, we wouldn’t be where we are for many projects and games.

When we compare the technology to gaming, we compare organic interaction with a very analogue control system which both Sony and Microsoft feel the need to pursue no matter what. Thats where the problem lies. Just like Virtual Reality, people won’t like the organic nature in which will accompany many VR games just to make things work for the end user. Thats where expanding your mind comes in. This sort of thing should come naturally without reason because if you want to do something that’s not the next COD, then you must think outside your comfort zone. Technology comes with that and that’s where I’m confused with your blatant ignorance toward that saying. There shouldn’t be a reason to expand your perception. It should come naturally if you care about anything. Else you look like a pompous ass like so many people sound on many gaming websites. They can’t look past themselves. The world revolves around them and if they don’t know something it doesn’t exist or won’t work.

I guess Nomad is right. That Doctor must be the type of guy that goes in that dance game crowd.  Crazy

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 16 May 2014 01:46 PM

I guess Nomad is right. That Doctor must be the type of guy that goes in that dance game crowd.  Crazy

Dude want to know what you smoke, feels like heavy shit that can insulate you from like anything.

Read Tad comment again above, he is talking Kinects worth in GAMING terms.
Not the world outside it.

You are not troling on medical forums, wake up its Gaming forum, kinects worth
in gaming terms, kinect2 didnt evolve much and in a year they failed to show [s]shit[/s] games that can suck in gamers. Realized late enough to get rid of it.

And people aint gonna wait, when they give you extra 100$ they need games to
enjoy , games not medical, retail, space R&D shit.

Nope not gonna wait, market decides what it wants and it chose PS4.
And i was right back then when i was backing Sony to take initial lead and you will
moaning on xb1 drm and supporting it, go back to thread and read your comments.

In anycase, do let me know what you smoke.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Not going to argue with Mr Dense.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 17 May 2014 12:47 AM

Dont argue but please Name the brand.
Need to smoke

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Monolith - 17 May 2014 12:47 AM

He is right. Expanding your mind was aimed at gaming only. It’s has been proven time and time again. People tried motion controls and we found its strengths and weaknesses. Now people are moving on. Just look at the VR headsets people are looking at now.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

In the meantime Kinect shovelware claimed another casualty

Microsoft-owned developer Rare has suffered layoffs after the release of Xbox One exclusive Kinect Sports Rivals failed to set tills alight,

During his distinguished career Sutherland acted as lead programmer on Battletoads, as well as all three Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie games. He’s also known as the ‘voice’ of the latter’s bear and bird protagonists.

CVG sources indicate that designer Gavin Price will also leave Rare, after a 15-year career which saw him work on Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts and a number of unannounced, cancelled projects.

Pan

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top