• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

PS4 or XB1??

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

UPtimist - 13 May 2014 03:58 PM

It’s the right move, though. Might make a huge difference for them.

MS is also opening the apps for non-Gold users.

It’s another HUGE backstep from them. Their entire design of the menu and function of the console (TV, Skype etc etc)was built round Kinect.

Sony must be laughing it’s head off as it’s still the more powerful box, but now the Xbox has ditched it’s only unique selling point.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 03:49 PM

Microsfot finally admits to getting shafted by Sony and is now panicing.

Titanfall turned out to be dud instead of savior.
Bet on the wrong horse…and you pay.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 04:08 PM

Sony must be laughing it’s head off as it’s still the more powerful box, but now the Xbox has ditched it’s only unique selling point.

I’d say no one at Sony is laughing at the moment given their financial situation and Microsoft just made the system a race between exclusives…. and Microsoft HAS exclusives that challenge the PS4 library even with the underwhelming response to Titanfall. You don’t think Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct and whatever exclusives get announced at E3 aren’t a unique selling point?

At the end of the day, I don’t see the PS4’s market share being challenged… But I also don’t see a big incentive in buying the console at the moment either.

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

thejobloshow - 13 May 2014 05:55 PM

You don’t think Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct and whatever exclusives get announced at E3 aren’t a unique selling point?

I might give you Quantum Break, but bringing up Killer Instinct as a selling point gets you instant laughter and minus points.

Sunset just looks like Infamous.

However software exclusives are not what MS touted their console for. It’s unique selling point was the one entertainment box where your voice controlled your life, managed your TV, your social media and communication, the ability to interact with TV, snap in Skype calls and all that other BS that nobody cares for.

They are now removing that, pulling back the curtain to reveal the sad little wizard who can’t get Dorothy home. Can’t Skype etc without a camera.

Neither consoles have great exclusives at the moment.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

This is basically Phil Spencer getting rid of all the nonesense Mattrick caused. So, in that aspect this is a good move. The only good thing I’ve heard about Kinect is the voice recognition.

He’s also took certain streaming apps from behind the gold paywall. About bloody time I say.

Early days, but it’s nice to see someone who has a clue in charge.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 06:08 PM

I might give you Quantum Break, but bringing up Killer Instinct as a selling point gets you instant laughter and minus points.

Sunset just looks like Infamous.

Killerinstinct is USP for me and many other fighting game fans, maybe not your
cup of Tea, but i will be playing KI first this summer when i will get XB1.
Best Launch title in recent memory.

Sunset lools like Infamous which looks like Sly cooper shich looks like
Jetsetradio etc.

Every cover shooter looks like Gears of wars where in reality Gears was
blatant ripoff of Kill.switch, so what , its not like we have market flooded with JSR or Infamous look alikes. I am sure you have played plenty of games that looked
and played exactly like your first FPS experience and rated them high in your journal.

Good to see, you didnt catch any familiarity in Quantum break with past Remedy games Wink

Tad - 13 May 2014 06:17 PM

This is basically Phil Spencer getting rid of all the nonesense Mattrick caused.

Yup spencer knows whats up.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The backpedalling continues but I think it’s a good decision for Microsoft. Consumers are the winners here.
The fact they announced a month from E3 is weird. They probably taking a beating in sales and wanted to create a little hype

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Lets hope the damage control ends when their “good” exclusives come out.

nomadsoul - 13 May 2014 06:39 PM

Sunset lools like Infamous which looks like Sly cooper shich looks like Jetsetradio etc.

Thats the thing. Why should that be a bad thing?

But its these sad comparisons that make people think that FPS games are flooding the market even though FPS games are VERY rare by comparison just like it has always been.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

nomadsoul - 13 May 2014 06:39 PM

Sunset lools like Infamous which looks like Sly cooper shich looks like
Jetsetradio etc.

Every cover shooter looks like Gears of wars where in reality Gears was
blatant ripoff of Kill.switch, so what , its not like we have market flooded with JSR or Infamous look alikes. I am sure you have played plenty of games that looked
and played exactly like your first FPS experience and rated them high in your journal.

Good to see, you didnt catch any familiarity in Quantum break with past Remedy games Wink

Well considering the context of the conversation was about unique selling points for the Xbox that you couldn’t get on PS4 and might tempt somone to buy an Xbox. The fact that it apes a whole bunch of other games backs up my argument.

It wasn’t a comment on Sunsets quality (I love the infamous games) just that it’s not unique enough to sell the console in the same way Infamous wasn’t good enough to be a PS4 system seller.

Quantum Break is the only game that looks genuinly unique.

Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

Lucien21 - 13 May 2014 04:08 PM
UPtimist - 13 May 2014 03:58 PM

It’s the right move, though. Might make a huge difference for them.

MS is also opening the apps for non-Gold users.

It’s another HUGE backstep from them. Their entire design of the menu and function of the console (TV, Skype etc etc)was built round Kinect.

It’s true that it was the unique selling point, but it was clearly holding them back. So many people didn’t want to pay that extra for Kinect. It may be a step back as far as uniqueness goes, but I have no doubt it is a step forward at least for the time being as far as sales go. Can’t say about it in the long run, naturally…

Of course there are still many things to make the difference, a lot of people really don’t care that it’s less powerful. I don’t, if I had to choose right now which to buy I would take the Xbox because it simply has more interesting things for it - even if not that many (and now it’s the same price). The only reason for me to get a PS4 is for a slightly better-looking Destiny. Good thing that I don’t have to choose right now Grin

You know, I really do wish MS could have stuck with their ideal because they were the only of the two who tried to innovate with the console. But if the other option is to clearly lose the race, I guess there’s not much question. Now I hope they’ll be able to make something of that Cloud, but I doubt it - too few developers will be interested to invest so much in designing for it to actually have it make a difference. (But it has great potential, in theory)

(In other subjects, people use tons of abbreviations and I still know about 20 % of them… like, “USP”?)

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Not all innovative is good and what MS were purposing to do, clearly wasn’t.

Most of the kinects features needed on the dashboard etc are voice activated. I’d like for them to keep the voice recognition, just drop the camera.

Meanwhile, in the Sony camp: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/14/sony-financials-reveal-huge-loss-with-more-expected

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Tad - 14 May 2014 04:21 AM

Most of the kinects features needed on the dashboard etc are voice activated. I’d like for them to keep the voice recognition, just drop the camera.

Meanwhile, in the Sony camp: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/05/14/sony-financials-reveal-huge-loss-with-more-expected

Actually it was a good idea. The problem was, as proven over and over across gaming history, Gamers don’t like paying more for innovation. Their idea of innovation is better graphics. No matter what, if that wasn’t the case, then people wouldn’t be complaining about the Watchdogs graphics drop for the PS4. People just want a prettier version of the previous console. There is so much proof to support this in almost every article and comment hammered into the internet grain.

This is why I would rather stick to the PC. All the progression on it doesn’t get met with insult and ridicule because people know, its a platform that constantly changes.

I haven’t played on my PS4 ever since I got a desktop pc after years and years when my crap alienware burned out and I had to live on laptops.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Tad - 14 May 2014 04:21 AM

Kinect was shity gimmick like wiimote that just ran its course.
Kinect2 is essentially same shit with better latency still not perfect.

M$ thought they could fool customers again while that casual demographic
that danced infront of their TVs or with wiimote once,
are already in tablet gaming space now.

Ninty should also drop its tablet pad too, its not casual stuff, asymmetric is more harder than normal games out there and its not fun, maybe just announced Fatalframe wiiu could be better fit, but forcing it on all games is just fucking with customers.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Oh God, here I go throwing my hat into the Microsoft camp again…

I actually think the Xbox One Kinect was a good idea because of its possibilities.

A device that could collate data on users’ heart rates and expressions may have provided valuable information in developing titles that engaged people in emotionally powerful ways. A game that knew how to make players scared, angry or on the edge of their seat. We could have seen some wild stuff.

I guess they can still figure out a player’s responses with beta testing or quality assurance but damn - the potential.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

thejobloshow - 14 May 2014 06:48 PM

Oh God, here I go throwing my hat into the Microsoft camp again…

I actually think the Xbox One Kinect was a good idea because of its possibilities.

A device that could collate data on users’ heart rates and expressions may have provided valuable information in developing titles that engaged people in emotionally powerful ways. A game that knew how to make players scared, angry or on the edge of their seat. We could have seen some wild stuff.

I guess they can still figure out a player’s responses with beta testing or quality assurance but damn - the potential.

Especially with all the possibilities developed on the PC with the Kinect. Its a great piece of tech. It has flaws but its way ahead of the shit people are raving over. So many great things were done even on the first Kinect, now the V2 offers even more that developers are afraid of developing with. Console gamers aren’t ready to expand their minds, in turn scaring off potential developers.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top