• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRoseTimovieMan

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dreamfall: Chapters

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The prototype needs more box puzzles (BS3 - lol)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

<shudder>

Gemini Rue seemed to like the crates a little too much too.

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

A.A - 15 February 2013 07:06 PM

I’ve found it can feel incredibly empty running around in a 3D world where you can’t jump or slash/shoot at things. With lots of places to run PAST and LOOK at, but nothing to actually DO. Lots of areas that are THERE…but what for?

I agree with with this sentiment. I always have a slight nervousness about 3D adventures because the worlds can seem almost too big. You take a look at that lush forest in the gameplay video, and while it is a visual treat it’s only something that you want to glance at superficially. The number of items of interest with which you can interact is few, and so you’re not going to spend a great deal of time wandering around scouring each part of the environment, and so it can lead to an empty feeling. There’s a whole lot of world, but nothing to actually do with 99% of it. I noticed they’d even gone so far as to highlight the interactive items to prevent them from being lost. The difference with a 2D game is that you get that hand-drawn background and everything is much more concentrated. You can scour every little detail that the artist has drawn there, spotting both important gameplay elements and quirky hidden jokes, and it does make the world feel fuller and more alive.

Lucien21 - 16 February 2013 06:59 AM

I don’t see it being just a 3D problem.

Even going back to the likes of Grim Fandango, there was a world that felt alive.

I think that one of the reasons why Grim Fandango worked in 3D was that it used fixed cameras, so it limited the size of each room to a single screen. In this way it was a lot more like a 2D game than you might first imagine, and it kept the world feeling cosy.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

$850,000 reached

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Now the wait starts…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

In support of the kickstarter campaign, the guy is doing an interesting Let’s Play… Dreamfall over at Telltale’s forums.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-02-16

PM

Congrats to them on making the $850k!  I just dropped my own donation into the Kickstarter pool about 15 minutes ago.

The tech demo is interesting- It doesn’t look graphically impressive yet, but it’s still a good 20 months away from release, so it looks like it was just fleshed out quickly (some of those textures looked like they were imported from Dreamfall) to give them a platform for interface/design coding.

The moving 3rd-person camera view doesn’t bother me much, since I’m used to it from similar games, plus I am probably one of the few people who actually played Dreamfall first.  Since I didn’t have TLJ to compare it to, I didn’t associate Dreamfall’s interface with memories of disappointment that a lot of people seemed to have had.

In other cool TLJ-related news, Sarah Hamilton (April Ryan’s voice actress) has signed on to reprise her voice role for DF:Chapters!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Now this is secure, all you people help Asylum, too!

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Katiahnya - 16 February 2013 03:25 PM

The tech demo is interesting- It doesn’t look graphically impressive yet, but it’s still a good 20 months away from release, so it looks like it was just fleshed out quickly (some of those textures looked like they were imported from Dreamfall) to give them a platform for interface/design coding.

Read my posts. The tech demo wasn’t running at its full potential. Comparison: Look at the screenshot posted.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Yessss! Congratulations! I’m very happy to know the journey will now continue!

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Wow. I can’t believe I missed this one so far… wish I wasn’t so penniless and broke at the moment Meh

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2008-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 16 February 2013 02:32 PM

Now the wait starts…

The wait started about six years ago. xD

Total Posts: 214

Joined 2005-10-07

PM

I’m glad to see they met their funding goal, and so quickly too. Exciting times could lie ahead.

I should start replaying Dreamfall now in anticipation, as it’s probably the only adventure game that I’ve only played once.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2003-09-28

PM

Probably a silly question guys but if you don’t back a certain game such as this, can you still buy it when it’s released or is it only available to the backers that allowed it to happen?

I need to play The Longest Journey again!

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

The game will absolutely be available to anyone when it’s released through multiple retailers.

Kickstarter is a way to help fund the developers to make the game, and your ‘reward’ is a copy of the game (and other things depending on how much you pledge).

Plus, as a backer you might have access to updates about the game development.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top