• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Day of the Tentacle Remastered announced!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

zane - 12 April 2016 07:26 AM

Perfect example: i could tell that washing the carriage was something the game wanted me to do, but i was not thinking it would result in rain, ben goes inside, i encourage him to go back out so i can charge the battery…..

That’s an infamous puzzle, probably the worst in the game (along with the horse puzzle maybe). The only clue is some character saying that when he washes the car it always rains

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

wilco - 12 April 2016 09:46 AM
zane - 12 April 2016 07:26 AM

Perfect example: i could tell that washing the carriage was something the game wanted me to do, but i was not thinking it would result in rain, ben goes inside, i encourage him to go back out so i can charge the battery…..

That’s an infamous puzzle, probably the worst in the game (along with the horse puzzle maybe). The only clue is some character saying that when he washes the car it always rains

Yeah when I played it when I was younger, I didn’t get the joke since it is not a joke that translated to my culture(same as monkey wrench or red herring in the MI games). It seems to be a staple of those lucasarts games to have at least one of these jokes in their old games.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

yeah what iv seen of the horse puzzle is also a good example because i just started showing that book to every character, like the disappearing ink, and i didnt expect it to have results with the horse and i didnt have a use in mind for those dentures. (and still havnt yet, though i have suspicions)

I still like this style though. This game reminds me of playing daedalic titles more than any other classics do.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I loved all the puzzles in this game and I liked the story.  I really don’t know why they did a remaster of it as the old game was wonderful.  Brighter graphics are not what compel me to play a game.  Now, if they enhanced it with a few more puzzles as they did in the GK remake, I would think of getting this, but, again, the original game is fantastic and a few brighter scenes does not make a game.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

mbday630 - 13 April 2016 07:09 PM

I loved all the puzzles in this game and I liked the story.  I really don’t know why they did a remaster of it as the old game was wonderful.  Brighter graphics are not what compel me to play a game.  Now, if they enhanced it with a few more puzzles as they did in the GK remake, I would think of getting this, but, again, the original game is fantastic and a few brighter scenes does not make a game.

the game allows you to compare with the old version, and I have to say the difference is huge. And not just graphics, the sound is much nicer too. And the picture is so much more crisp.
Normally, id hope for new puzzles too, but in the case of GK I wished they hadn’t. The new puzzles were not good and the flow alterations damaged the game.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I’m sure the difference is huge.  but, why? the first game was fantastic and if they didn’t add anything but more “glitter and gold” what a waste of money.  I still enjoy the old DoTT game and even thought it would be nice to see the graphics improved, there is still enjoyment in the game.  I guess I would have preferred there to be different puzzles or a few enhanced puzzles to warrant me spending money on this..

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

why? because this version makes it a totally smooth cartoon that isnt pixelated or stretched in a widescreen resolution.
If you werent going to replay it anyway then maybe its not a reason by itself to buy it. (though the commentary is fun).
But if you are playing it anyway, this is the way to go for sure. (Its also the only easy way to obtain it today, and if you really miss the old style you can use it in the remaster.. but the new style is seriously aesthetically pleasing) Cool

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The newly remixed voice acting alone is worth the remaster IMO. The original CD version has pretty horribly compressed voice acting, which makes it hiss and pop. This was an issue with a lot of first wave CD games.

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

zane - 12 April 2016 11:40 AM

yeah what iv seen of the horse puzzle is also a good example because i just started showing that book to every character, like the disappearing ink, and i didnt expect it to have results with the horse and i didnt have a use in mind for those dentures. (and still havnt yet, though i have suspicions)

I still like this style though. This game reminds me of playing daedalic titles more than any other classics do.

I suppose back in the day the expectation was that the player was going to spend a significant amount of time exploring the game very thoroughly and trying lots of combinations and what-ifs. If you go around reading the book to everyone and getting funny responses, then the horse puzzle doesn’t seem so horrid. I’m just not sure how many people would enjoy that style of play nowadays.

I’d say by today’s standards it’s considered a bad design when the player is likely to perform an action before knowing why and how that action is going to be useful. If there’s a pulley and you have a rope in the inventory, combining them is a knee-jerk reaction. And then nothing happens until much further in the game. DotT has lots of that.

A game that’s mostly a streamlined narrative solves those issues pretty much automatically. But then it’s difficult to make the puzzles challenging.

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Forgive me if this has been answered earlier in the thread and I just missed it, but I see the minimum system requirements stated on GoG for Windows is 7, 8, or 10. My system meets/exceeds all the other requirements, but I’m running Vista 64. Will it run on Vista, and be fully playable?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Mike the Wino - 06 May 2016 03:46 PM

Forgive me if this has been answered earlier in the thread and I just missed it, but I see the minimum system requirements stated on GoG for Windows is 7, 8, or 10. My system meets/exceeds all the other requirements, but I’m running Vista 64. Will it run on Vista, and be fully playable?

I cant say for a fact without seeing it run, but 99% chance it will run without any problems. My recommendation would be to buy it on steam, and youre guaranteed to get a refund if you want it for any reason. (you could possibly get a refund on gog but its trickier)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top