• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Where are the Hints?

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

I’ve been a long-time fan of Adventure Games, but I don’t always have the intellect or patience to figure out their strange logic. Years ago, I’d discovered UHS, and it easily provided for the games I had at the time. However, they don’t seem to be abreast with what’s going on in the Adventure world lately.

Specifically, they seem to offer no Hints for anything by Wadjet Eye or Daedalic. As a fan of Bundles and Sales, I’ve inevitably filled my library with Adventure games that frustrate more than entertain me cause I get stuck.

My pet peeve is that I can find all manner of walkthroughs, but that kills my motivation. I want hints and tips to guide me till I have that Eureka moment instead of just being told what to do to progress.

I’ve discovered and forgotten about this site a few times over the years, so I’ve not actually explored how well the Hints sub-forum might help. I’m also wondering what the best approach might be. I worry that I may end up creating a dozen threads each time I play a game, and that bothers me.

I guess I don’t have any specific questions at the moment, but just wanted to share and get advice. Thanks.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Is your name qmuddy2 BTW?! Ehh… nevermind.

Several solutions:

1) http://www.gameboomers.com/ has almost all of the walkthroughs, but yeah, you’ll be getting the direct solutions unlike UHS, but works well as the last resort.

2) You can open one thread per game in the Hints section of the forum, and ask for hints/nudges from other players, not the entire solution. No need to open several threads for the same game, just ask another question in the same thread.

3) Join community playthroughs/challenges in the forum and ask hints from other players playing at the same time as you!

4) Some games have the built-in Hint systems that work very much like UHS - from the top of my head: Keepsake, Simon the Sorcerer 4… Of course, many recent games have some kind of hint system.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 208

Joined 2014-01-27

PM

diego - 19 April 2016 04:22 PM

Haha.

“Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!”- Guybrush Threepwood

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hexamony, just ask for hints, emphasize that you don’t want the solution, and you will get hints.  Like diego said, one thread per game is best.

br305893 - 19 April 2016 04:27 PM

Haha.

God, yes, an incredibly funny way to welcome a newcomer.  Angry

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

Karlok - 19 April 2016 04:49 PM
br305893 - 19 April 2016 04:27 PM

Haha.

God, yes, an incredibly funny way to welcome a newcomer.  Angry

I think I’m in the dark on the joke.

One thread per game. I can do that. Now the real trouble, figuring out which of the many games I have to play. I recently played a demo of Anna’s Quest before I got stuck, but think I’ll go with something I can play entirely.

Oh, and what are the Playthroughs? I glanced at one or two, but not enough to figure out what madness was going on.

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

Welcome Hexamony! Don’t worry about asking questions in the Hints section forum. One thread per game is ok.

But really, I recommend joining one of the community playthrough, you’ll get to discuss the game and exchange hints with other players.

EDIT: Seems you answered around the same time I posted… Community Playthroughs are a regular event in this forum where we enjoy a game together and discussing our progress, the game and give each other hints.
We’re currently voting for the next game, voting thread is here http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/2683/P300

Don’t worry about the joke, it was in bad taste.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Choose a game, yea (as said) post a thread and you won’t imagine the subtle hints we clever adventurers Tongue here would imply for you.

go for it, myself i could be your full-time hint(er) for that first choice.

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

I’m trying to figure out what Adventure games I even have, and it’s a jumbled mess with all the other games I own. Is There Any Deal only helps so much with keeping track.

On the awesome side, the current Playthrough’s vote leader is Resonance, and that’s one I briefly played.

I know, I’ll do Grim Fandango Remastered. The UHS hints don’t seem to match up with the modernized copy.

Kind of wish this site had a personal library feature. Got that, got that, want that.. y’know? What’s the ideal way to create a shareable list of just my adventure games?

Total Posts: 101

Joined 2016-02-18

PM

Hexamony - 19 April 2016 06:33 PM

I know, I’ll do Grim Fandango Remastered. The UHS hints don’t seem to match up with the modernized copy.

As far as I could tell, puzzles are not different in Remastered and original versions, so the UHS hints for Grim Fandango are all valid for the new edition.

Joined 2016-04-19

PM

You know what it was? I think I had some initial trouble matching up the UHS hints with what was happening in the game, but I really lost my drive when I dared glance at a Steam Guide.

Oof. Within just a few paragraphs there were countless things I hadn’t done, or achievements forever unobtainable that playthrough. I’ll have to stick to the safe waters of UHS or here for my carefully moderated, non-game ruining hints.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top