• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games by well-known authors

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

What’s wrong with Ray Bradbury and the many Jules Verne games? IMO they should be in the same category as Agatha Christie. And why no Nancy Drew?

PS: Harlan Ellison is not the author of Discworld. Smile He even did the voice of one of the characters in his IHNMAIMS.

PPS: Speaking of voices… the horror adventure game Dark Eye features six stories by Edgar Allen Poe, which also puts it in the Agatha Christie category. But the (in)famous writer William Burroughs reads a couple of Poe’s creepy poems in the game. How’s that for involvement?  Thumbs Up

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 24 March 2016 02:26 AM

Well, obviously it depends on what you mean by involvement. I haven’t seen any evidence that Pohl or Clarke were involved in Gateway or RAMA,

I take it you don’t own Rama. Clarke’s novel was included; Clarke is to be seen and heard on a separate CD that comes with the game and he’s even in the game itself. Quoting wiki: Clarke himself appears in some scenes of the game, such as when the player dies, and in the epilogue, gives advice to the player. He is implemented into the scenery and humorously interacts with it - provoking a Biot into a fight in one example.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Karlok - 24 March 2016 06:13 AM
Oscar - 24 March 2016 02:26 AM

Well, obviously it depends on what you mean by involvement. I haven’t seen any evidence that Pohl or Clarke were involved in Gateway or RAMA,

I take it you don’t own Rama. Clarke’s novel was included; Clarke is to be seen and heard on a separate CD that comes with the game and he’s even in the game itself. Quoting wiki: Clarke himself appears in some scenes of the game, such as when the player dies, and in the epilogue, gives advice to the player. He is implemented into the scenery and humorously interacts with it - provoking a Biot into a fight in one example.

I knew that. But I didn’t think that constituted the game being “by” Clarke.

Like I said, this is about what Projectitis wants. But I don’t really see the point in making a list of games where an author plays just any inconsequential part in its production. I might love (insert author) but why should I care if he/she once brought one of the programmers at work a cup of coffee?

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Can someone remember the author who was (in one way or another) AGAINST the computer game based on his work, or something like that?! It’s on the top of my head, but can’t remember it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 24 March 2016 06:53 AM

I knew that. But I didn’t think that constituted the game being “by” Clarke.

Huh? That’s not how I read the OP: I am after a list of games that have had substantial input from well-known authors. Either they wrote the script, or the game was based on an existing novel/IP.

Like I said, this is about what Projectitis wants. But I don’t really see the point in making a list of games where an author plays just any inconsequential part in its production. I might love Paulo Coelho’s writing but why should I care if he once brought one of the programmers at work a cup of coffee?

Oscar, please! Don’t do this. Coelho was directly involved in the writing of the three games.

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Chronomaster adventure game was written and designed by Roger Zelazny and finished by Jane Lindskold after his death.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Karlok - 24 March 2016 07:16 AM

Huh? That’s not how I read the OP: I am after a list of games that have had substantial input from well-known authors. Either they wrote the script, or the game was based on an existing novel/IP.

That is still contradictory - if an author writes a novel, and someone later makes a game about it without consulting the author in any way, it’s a substantial (or a complete) inspiration, not an input.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The Abbey - Umberto Eco

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Robot City and Isaac Asimov.

diego - 24 March 2016 07:39 AM
Karlok - 24 March 2016 07:16 AM

That is still contradictory - if an author writes a novel, and someone later makes a game about it without consulting the author in any way, it’s a substantial (or a complete) inspiration, not an input.

Okay, so I see (at least Smile) three categories:

A. Games inspired by certain characters (Frogware’s games and Sherlock Holmes),  novels (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Jules Verne) or an author’s work in general (Shadow of the Comet and Lovecraft).
B. Games based on a specific short story or novel. Like the Agatha Christie games, the Abbey, Robot City, etcetera.
C. Games where the author was involved in the development in some way. Like RAMA, Starship Titanic, Pilgrim.

Total Posts: 313

Joined 2014-07-01

PM

There are a ton of games based on books, but the following are a few old ones I can think of off-hand that had actual author involvement.

Amazon, 1984. Written by Michael Crichton, partly based upon his novel Congo.

Fahrenheit 451, 1984. Developed in cooperation with Ray Bradbury.

Rendezvous with Rama, 1984. Developed in cooperation with Arthur C. Clarke who contributed a different ending to the game.

Amnesia, 1986. Written entirely by Thomas M. Disch.

Mindwheel, 1984. Written by Robert Pinsky.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2016-03-17

PM

zobraks - 24 March 2016 04:45 AM
Projectitis - 23 March 2016 08:43 PM

Harlan Ellison

Discworld

Hmmm…

Gah! Thanks Zobraks. Fixed.
I’ve just come back to curate this thread.

Joined 2016-03-17

PM

Wow - there is a lot of knowledge here Smile

I’m most interested in games where the Author helped write it or was consulted in the writing, rather than just the game being based on their work. I then want to get a feel overall for how good those games are.

What I’m ultimately trying to understand is if the game(s) were on the whole better because of the direct involvement of the author, or (like I have heard mention a few times) that book authors do not generally make good game writers?

What are your thoughts? What are the best author-developer relationships? This would obviously be a generalisation, as there will be contradictory examples all over Smile

p.s. I am Projectitis. Changed my name (should have been Pixelthis from the start, I use projectitis for non-game things).

Joined 2016-03-17

PM

wilco - 24 March 2016 05:20 AM

Want Comic books? Like Robert Kirkman in Walking Dead; Bill Willingham in Wolf Among Us; Filipe Melo The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça and Pizza Boy

I hadn’t even thought of that! Yes, by all means.

Total Posts: 187

Joined 2013-11-12

PM

A few days back I wrote out a complete post on Japanese writers & games, but for some reason the forum didn’t accept my post… (too long maybe?)

But there are quite some Japanese adventures based on the work of, or supervised by authors. Of the ones released in the West, the first who comes into my mind is Takemaru ABIKO, who wrote the original Kamaitachi no Yoru (released in the west as Banshee’s Last Cry), one of the first sound novels, and Starship Damrey (3DS).

As for not released here, Kyotaro NISHIMURA and Misa YAMAMURA have supervised too many games to mention. Yasuo UCHIDA and Jiro AKAGAWA have a couple of games based on their work. The PSP game Trick X Logic was completely written by mystery authors (including the above mentioned Abiko), etc, etc.

And waaaaaaay too many games to mention that are based on a comic.

“Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God’s good earth” - Ellery Queen, The Lamp of God

Joined 2016-03-17

PM

Tantei KID, thanks for the info. In your opinion, are those games involving authors generally better than the ones that don’t?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top