• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Playthrough #7-Drawn: Dark Flight

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I hate to admit it, but I got LOST during this latest episode. At some point the objective screen will say something like Fix the Marionette. Well I hadn’t seen any, so I went searching. Nothing! So I went backtracking. I went all the way back to the screen before you enter the Library. (BTW, Lady K, during my search of the library I did run across the candle puzzle clue you mentioned. Don’t know how I missed it. Maybe it was a latent memory that allowed me to solve it without that clue.) Anyway, I decided to go back and I forgot how to do that. I missed the down arrow by the pop-up book in the Library. I thought I was going to have to start the game from scratch. Very unsettling. Turns out I also missed the second left that takes you from the cart alley to the marionette stage. Much walking around for nothing.

I don’t know if the puzzle you are referring to is the “Create the Cello” puzzle. I found that one very frustrating. It wasn’t particularly hard, but I ended up skipping it because I apparently misunderstood the directions. The hint says that there are clues that will help you align the pieces. One of which is the outline of a fish that appears on the background and on the scrap of paper that shows the cello stand. Another, or so I presumed was the outline of the cello’s tuning pegs which I lined up with the same found on another scrap of paper. Then I proceeded to fill in everything in between. The problem, which I found out after skipping, was that [spoiler]the tuning pegs on the paper scrap actually were supposed to be on the opposite side of the neck than those seen on the background.[/spoiler] Which is different from the instructions as I understood them. Made me mad that I had to skip a puzzle because the instructions were unclear.

Note to Becky: I think your interpretation of what the two battling figures represent is correct based on what will be seen in a cut scene towards the end of this episode.

More later.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

For the cello puzzle, I used the outline of the rectangles as a guide, then just flipped the remaining pieces around until they fit.  It was a bit frustrating because many of the creatures and faces on the pieces were upside down or sideways.  I gradually realized that I had to concentrate on the cello shape and ignore the rest.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Being an old guitar player I am familiar with tuning pegs and necks and S cutouts. Throw in basic curvature, bridge placement, etc. I thought I had it nailed. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that one piece of paper was misplaced.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I made the same mistake that Tim made, but I quickly realized that placing the tuning peg poster over the already present tuning pegs didn’t fit the poster outlines.

I didn’t have any problems with that puzzle at all. In fact, I thought it was a shame that the game automatically placed the posters in their correct overlapping order. I wished we had to place them correctly ourselves, so a new poster could obscure parts of the one below it and mess up the cello image if you didn’t get their order right.

I’ve just opened those big gates. Will finish the game this evening.

Btw, I loved how that play not only summarized the entire backstory of these games, but also seemed to add significance to our actions… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the game. This chapter was much easier than the previous 2. Didn’t have any problems with the poster puzzle. The final battle was a little bit anticlimatic, but what the heck, it is a casual after all. Much more backstory is explained (See? There really WAS a real dragon!!) and everything is tied up really nicely. Music score and art is gorgeous as usual.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Drawn 2 will come to a close on Monday 3/16. We all know that we can multitask and discuss/play game simultaneously. So I am going to open play of D3 on Wednesday, 3/18.

FWIW, TimovieMan made a very appropriate comment regarding the Casual Game thread. I responded in a way that affirmed his observation. I would like everyone to take a look at his, and my response, and voice their comments. If we want to keep a Casual Game commentary alive, we can’t do it by playing endless playthroughs.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 11 March 2015 05:10 AM

I’ve just opened those big gates. Will finish the game this evening.

Silly me, stopping the game one second before the final cutscene… Tongue

Finished the game and the bonus content. Boy, was that bonus chapter about the worst thing in two games! Nothing but backtracking and trying to remember every single screen you could visit in the game.
I think I’ve used Franklin’s advice and even that hint button that I’d been avoiding more times than I can count…
Still, only missed three of the shards (two shards, one star), so my treasure hunt without hints wasn’t so catastrophical.

My least favourite part of both games…

Anyway, finished the game, and apart from the bonus chapter, I liked it more than the first game, but they really count as one single bigger game, if you ask me.
Great music, absolutely amazing artwork, decent-if-simple story, good game.

Now onto part three, which as far as I have seen has one of the coolest menu screens ever! Cool

Edit: hey, achievements! 11 out if 15, but I’m not going for the remaining 4 (no speed demon, cat burglar, welcome to the team or drawncore for me).

rtrooney - 12 March 2015 09:26 PM

I would like everyone to take a look at his, and my response, and voice their comments. If we want to keep a Casual Game commentary alive, we can’t do it by playing endless playthroughs.

I’m very much in favour of having a couple of weeks ‘off’ between playthroughs.

It could lead to me actually playing something that’s NOT part of a community playthrough. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m still on Dark Flight, and am having a more unusual experience than the first time I played this game. On the first trip through town, I went up to the first beacon before doing anything else, happened to click on it, and it lit. Gasp.

Well, I’m not going to argue with it being easy, right? (Not ME, anyway.)

But now I have a scroll in inventory and it wants nothing to do with the first beacon, and when I click it on the first beacon I get a message that that shouldn’t be burned. When I click on Franklin for help, he keeps telling me to do something I’ve already done.

So I’m continuing with the game while carrying a scroll I shouldn’t have. It’s my own little secret, I guess. If Franklin wants to continue in denial, I won’t stop him.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Still haven’t started the last part yet. My Let’s Play and the release of Book 2 of Dreamfall Chapters is eating up all my playtime, but I expect to have time for it and finish it before Monday.

As for some pauses between the Casual Playthroughs, that’s fine with me.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Finished the game now, it turned out to be much easier and faster than I had expected.

I must admit that I skip the Violin Poster puzzle, not matter what I did then there were some pieces that I simply couldn’t figure out where they belonged, though if I had know that it would be the only difficult puzzle in this part, then I probably would have persevered.

As for the ending: I quite liked turning Iris into a firebird, and having her battle the evil king, in the form of a shadow dragon, herself, instead of having to do all the hard work for her all the time.

But id does confuses me a bit, I thought that there would also be a REAL dragon. The story we were told earlier in the game, clearly showed the king riding on a fire-breathing dragon, and not just some shadow thing that he can turn himself into. Perhaps that is the objective in the next game, to defeat the Dragon?

Anyway, Iris is now queen and everybody lived happily ever after.
** The End! **

On a side note, I just now realised that the game actually has Danish subtitles! This is not something seen often in games, and had I realised it before, then I would probably have used it, but I’m so used to just selecting English without even checking the other possibilities that I only discovered it now.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

There’s one thing that puzzles me about this game in relation to the first one: the theme in the first game was very much dragon vs. gryphon, but here it seems to be dragon vs. phoenix. Why this difference?

Is the gryphon the symbol of Iris’ family/kingdom and the phoenix the symbol of Iris herself, and does that explain the difference?

Oh, and I’m very curious to find out what the story in the third game is going to be, as this story feels finished after two games…

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think the phoenix represents Iris because she is the light in the darkenss.  I remember in the first game that we used Iris’ phoenix to light the fireplace.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

I also finished the game. I realised it had been some time since I last visited the thread, and I’m glad I did because otherwise I would have missed the deadline.

When I started the game, I didn’t remember how far along I was. Turns out I had just lit the second beacon. I seem to remember that I skipped the colour puzzle, but I’m not entirely sure. I’m tempted to replay the game just to get my revenge on the candle and colour puzzles.

The rest of the game didn’t pose many problems. The cello puzzle gave me some trouble before I realized that there was an outline in the background to guide you. And in the end, to make the image fit together, you had to place some pieces slightly off the grid.

Iznogood - 14 March 2015 02:06 PM

On a side note, I just now realised that the game actually has Danish subtitles!

Same here, I didn’t know about the Swedish subtitles until I watched the credits. Wow. I wonder what the return on investment on those two translations were.

I liked the game, though I think I prefer the first one. It was nice to get some more story, although it’s still really simplistic. I have to admit that I wasn’t entirely sure during the first game why I should care about Iris and her predicament. Things felt a lot more relevant now when Iris was an active character in the narrative.

I agree that the story feels finished now, but I also like the thought of getting to explore the kingdom at peace and in full bloom, so I hope we get to do that in the final part.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

And so brave Iris, wise beyond her years,

faces the evil king and his dark shadows

and lights the final beacon to bring to restore her kingdom.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

But what of Franklin, Iris’ beloved friend, who was turned to stone and broken?

In the bonus section, we help the new queen restore her dear friend, the only father she has ever known,

and, we hope, they will live happily ever after.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top