• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I just started playing Disco Elysium, I’ve been hearing great things about this game even though I didn’t know exactly what it was about, only that it was an RPG or something like that and after reading the thread about your top 100 adventure games I realized that many people had it among their favorites.  So I decided to check it out.

I’ve only played for a few minutes, I have no idea what’s going on, I don’t know how the interface and mechanics work, or who I am, or what is that voice that keeps talking to me. It’s exciting when you don’t know anything and everything is a surprise. So far I can’t say much, it looks beautiful that’s for sure, and it seems like a game with a lot of dialogues and above all very very intense, which is great.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

420 posts. I don’t mean to imply anything about you or your life choices, but I personally wanted to shout out the occasion.

With that out of the way: Same! Very curious how this will pan out.

Also still playing Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy, the gift that keeps on giving.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I heard a lot of praise about DE, and I saw a short conversation with an interesting mood. Although I did not like the presentation, I thought, why not. I was surprised how boring, bloated, cumbersome and poorly executed the game was. Some of the atmos sounded nice though. I didn’t finish it.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 16 July 2022 01:21 PM

420 posts. I don’t mean to imply anything about you or your life choices, but I personally wanted to shout out the occasion.

Thanks?, now you have done nothing but make me reflect and question all my life choices.
I am suddenly feeling slightly depressed.
And I thought I had left that behind a long time ago.
But it’s like trying to run away from your own shadow.

meteor - 16 July 2022 02:13 PM

I heard a lot of praise about DE, and I saw a short conversation with an interesting mood. Although I did not like the presentation, I thought, why not. I was surprised how boring, bloated, cumbersome and poorly executed the game was. Some of the atmos sounded nice though. I didn’t finish it.

I hope I don’t get bored, because while the reviews are mostly great, the few that aren’t flattering allude to just that, that it can be boring. I’ll see what happens.

~

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Tenebra - 16 July 2022 05:38 PM
Vegetable Party - 16 July 2022 01:21 PM

Thanks?, now you have done nothing but make me reflect and question all my life choices.
I am suddenly feeling slightly depressed.
And I thought I had left that behind a long time ago.
But it’s like trying to run away from your own shadow.

Oh dear.  Gasp

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@Tenebra
It certainly wasn’t my cup of tea, but I wish you fun with it nonetheless.

Let me see: a 5 stars rating on adventuregamers. So, it’s already better than The Witness. What else could you ask for?!

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Tenebra - 16 July 2022 01:11 PM

I just started playing Disco Elysium, I’ve been hearing great things about this game even though I didn’t know exactly what it was about, only that it was an RPG or something like that and after reading the thread about your top 100 adventure games I realized that many people had it among their favorites.  So I decided to check it out.

I’ve only played for a few minutes, I have no idea what’s going on, I don’t know how the interface and mechanics work, or who I am, or what is that voice that keeps talking to me. It’s exciting when you don’t know anything and everything is a surprise. So far I can’t say much, it looks beautiful that’s for sure, and it seems like a game with a lot of dialogues and above all very very intense, which is great.

I was very intimidated and discouraged by the first couple of hours of this game.
The one piece of information that is crucial to enjoying it early on is that the game is not as big as it seems. Playing slowly and savoring it, it’ll ‘only’ take you 25-30 hours (only is in quotes because for a story heavy slow-paced RPG like this, you might expect 80-100 hours). Even when you think you’re not really making progress, you probably are. Relax, soak it in, enjoy. Despite the initial discouragement, it turned out to be one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Oh, and I’m playing Norco. It bears some similarities with Disco Elysium, but in a much more traditional point ‘n clicky streamlined way. The atmosphere and writing are splendid. If you like rusty bucolic things, you’ll probably like this game just for the written and visual aesthetics. My only complaint so far is not really a complaint: It’s just that I can only imagine how much fun the game would be if it used a text parser instead of a cursor.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

meteor - 17 July 2022 03:03 AM

@Tenebra
It certainly wasn’t my cup of tea, but I wish you fun with it nonetheless.

Let me see: a 5 stars rating on adventuregamers. So, it’s already better than The Witness. What else could you ask for?!

Thank you. The Witness 4,5 stars here at Adventuregamers. I haven’t played it, it looks too “colorful” and “cheerful” for my style, lots of puzzles judging by what I’ve seen, although I don’t know what’s up with the story if there is one and if there are any other game mechanics that I don’t know about.

Baron_Blubba - 17 July 2022 03:16 PM

I was very intimidated and discouraged by the first couple of hours of this game.
The one piece of information that is crucial to enjoying it early on is that the game is not as big as it seems. Playing slowly and savoring it, it’ll ‘only’ take you 25-30 hours (only is in quotes because for a story heavy slow-paced RPG like this, you might expect 80-100 hours). Even when you think you’re not really making progress, you probably are. Relax, soak it in, enjoy. Despite the initial discouragement, it turned out to be one of the best gaming experiences I’ve had.

I’ve been playing for a couple of hours now, and like many RPG’s I feel that I didn’t even scratch the surface and the impression as you say that it’s a huge game. In this sense I feel that the main character has not yet achieved any relevant progress from his internal confusions to the goals to accomplish, the tasks keep piling up but I take it calmly and trying to enjoy every step.

I like its approach between the intellectual and emotional side rather than the simple physical action. There’s a latent sense of hopelessness and broken dreams that I find appealing combined with that beautiful, yet tragic soundtrack that sets the mood very well.  And so far its dialogues that I feared might bore me are not doing so but manage to force me to pay attention even when it’s not obvious what many characters are communicating.

~

Total Posts: 7473

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Tenebra - 17 July 2022 05:55 PM

The Witness 4,5 stars here at Adventuregamers. I haven’t played it, it looks too “colorful” and “cheerful” for my style, lots of puzzles judging by what I’ve seen, although I don’t know what’s up with the story if there is one and if there are any other game mechanics that I don’t know about.

It’s a puzzle game. Don’t expect a story. But it has a lot more to offer than just puzzles. It’s about different types of knowledge, about changing your perspective. Seeing things in a new light.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Playing Mutropolis, nearing the end of Part III.

The story isn’t anything to write home about, but the puzzles have been surprisingly good. Even if sometimes it takes me time to figure out something, the solution is always logical in hindsight and the “aha!” moment is worth the time taken to figure out a puzzle. There’s one small exception in Part III but I can overlook that.

Tenebra - 17 July 2022 05:55 PM

Thank you. The Witness 4,5 stars here at Adventuregamers. I haven’t played it, it looks too “colorful” and “cheerful” for my style, lots of puzzles judging by what I’ve seen, although I don’t know what’s up with the story if there is one and if there are any other game mechanics that I don’t know about.

Baron_Blubba - 17 July 2022 03:16 PM

I’ve been playing for a couple of hours now, and like many RPG’s I feel that I didn’t even scratch the surface and the impression as you say that it’s a huge game. In this sense I feel that the main character has not yet achieved any relevant progress from his internal confusions to the goals to accomplish, the tasks keep piling up but I take it calmly and trying to enjoy every step.

I like its approach between the intellectual and emotional side rather than the simple physical action. There’s a latent sense of hopelessness and broken dreams that I find appealing combined with that beautiful, yet tragic soundtrack that sets the mood very well.  And so far its dialogues that I feared might bore me are not doing so but manage to force me to pay attention even when it’s not obvious what many characters are communicating.

I’ve listened to a few friends talk about Disco Elysium and got the impression it falls into the “weird for the sake of weird” category. I’m willing to be wrong about that if it’s a really good game. I’m not too enthused about hopeless and oppressive atmospheres unless they’re used for higher ends, I just don’t enjoy them as much as I used to.

AKA Charo

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@Tenebra
Hmm. It’s a beautiful game. It’s about ... here’s John’s short explanation. Either this might be new for you or you can enjoy your curiosity right away. The world itself, its puzzles (panels and environmental ones), audio logs, there is a reference to Brian Moriarty too, speak to you. It’s fun, hard, wonderful and takes its time. Some video games are fun, aim for more than just sheer entertainment and succeed in doing so. The Witness is one of them.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Karlok - 17 July 2022 08:30 PM

It’s about different types of knowledge, about changing your perspective. Seeing things in a new light.

meteor - 18 July 2022 01:29 AM

@Tenebra
Hmm. It’s a beautiful game. It’s about ... here’s John’s short explanation. Either this might be new for you or you can enjoy your curiosity right away. The world itself, its puzzles (panels and environmental ones), audio logs, there is a reference to Brian Moriarty too, speak to you. It’s fun, hard, wonderful and takes its time. Some video games are fun, aim for more than just sheer entertainment and succeed in doing so. The Witness is one of them.

Now my interest has grown.

“Change your perspective, see things in a different light”. 
“It’s a game about the world and trying to understand it.” Ok, these last words are from the game designer’s own mouth talking about his own game, so they should be taken with a degree of skepticism but they still sound profound. I googled Moriaty and The Witness and found something about the secret of Psalm 46.

Anyway, I’ll check it out once I’m done with Disco Elysium.

Charophycean - 18 July 2022 01:05 AM

I’ve listened to a few friends talk about Disco Elysium and got the impression it falls into the “weird for the sake of weird” category. I’m willing to be wrong about that if it’s a really good game. I’m not too enthused about hopeless and oppressive atmospheres unless they’re used for higher ends, I just don’t enjoy them as much as I used to.

Hmm for now it’s hard for me to give an founded opinion on whether it’s weird just for being weird, I don’t have that impression yet, I do think it’s innovative for example I must pay attention to the character’s morals and how this can be affected by our decisions or about accepting or rejecting/ignoring the skills that speak to us. There is also a philosophical and political component I might add.

There is an oppressive and hopeless atmosphere that I don’t think will change during the game. What do you mean by higher ends?

~

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

If you’ve made the development on your own before, you know what he, the game is talking about. If not, you might learn something through the game. Have fun.

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Tenebra - 18 July 2022 04:03 AM
Charophycean - 18 July 2022 01:05 AM

Hmm for now it’s hard for me to give an founded opinion on whether it’s weird just for being weird, I don’t have that impression yet, I do think it’s innovative for example I must pay attention to the character’s morals and how this can be affected by our decisions or about accepting or rejecting/ignoring the skills that speak to us. There is also a philosophical and political component I might add.

There is an oppressive and hopeless atmosphere that I don’t think will change during the game. What do you mean by higher ends?

Well, I used to believe that the universe was just like that - hopeless, oppressive. So anything that reflected that appealed to me, games, movies, music. Now I’m more of the view it’s not like that, that was just a view I had, so such media doesn’t appeal to me so much. But if a game uses an oppressive atmosphere to, say, demonstrate something to the player, and not simply be hopeless for its own sake, then that’s fine. A game like I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream did something like that.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top