• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 April 2022 08:27 PM

I’ve been keeping my eye on this game, for a while but not too sure what is really about. Can you give me some details without spoiling it. I was also very interested in Chinatown detective agency but the reviews have not been great and from what I can tell there are some things that I think would bother me. so I will probably wait for a deep discount on that one.

You play as a young woman named Kay who’s mostly estranged from her family and a drifter. It’s set in a near-ish future so the setting is familiar to current day but there’s robots and AI tech. Kay comes back home to Norco, Louisiana after she learns her mom, Catherine, is dying but doesn’t make it in time to reunite before she passes.

Before her death, Catherine was looking into an area of the Bayou where a large oil refinery named Shield, that essentially runs the town, was mysteriously sending surveillance teams. One day while researching, a mysterious light appeared before her & quickly vanished, but she doesn’t know what it was.

The game switches back and forth between Kay in the present and Catherine before she died and you’re basically uncovering the mystery of what she was researching during her final days, what Shield is up to, and where your brother (Blake) went.

The first act of the game is available as a demo and I’m pretty sure the save carries over, so that’s a good way to check it out. It’s a great game so long as you’re not expecting a puzzle heavy experience.

Total Posts: 1688

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 08 April 2022 08:52 PM

I’ve been keeping my eye on this game, for a while but not too sure what is really about. Can you give me some details without spoiling it. I was also very interested in Chinatown detective agency but the reviews have not been great and from what I can tell there are some things that I think would bother me. so I will probably wait for a deep discount on that one.

You play as a young woman named Kay who’s mostly estranged from her family and a drifter. It’s set in a near-ish future so the setting is familiar to current day but there’s robots and AI tech. Kay comes back home to Norco, Louisiana after she learns her mom, Catherine, is dying but doesn’t make it in time to reunite before she passes.

Before her death, Catherine was looking into an area of the Bayou where a large oil refinery named Shield, that essentially runs the town, was mysteriously sending surveillance teams. One day while researching, a mysterious light appeared before her & quickly vanished, but she doesn’t know what it was.

The game switches back and forth between Kay in the present and Catherine before she died and you’re basically uncovering the mystery of what she was researching during her final days, what Shield is up to, and where your brother (Blake) went.

The first act of the game is available as a demo and I’m pretty sure the save carries over, so that’s a good way to check it out. It’s a great game so long as you’re not expecting a puzzle heavy experience.

Thank you for all the info. Does it have any puzzles??

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Jdawg445 - 08 April 2022 09:05 PM

Thank you for all the info. Does it have any puzzles??

It does. There’s simple item use, mini game-ish memory puzzles, more tailor-made puzzle/interactive story sequences, as well as different choices you can make at certain scenes.

But the puzzles don’t come up with extreme frequency and the narrative is the primary focus.

Plus the game is a bit excessive with the hints sometimes. Usually it’s gated behind optional dialogue that’s easy to avoid but unfortunately other times it isn’t.

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

PlanetX - 08 April 2022 08:52 PM

Sounds interesting. I could be convinced to give it a go.

Besides the mysterious lights, is there any supernatural stuff you’ve encountered so far?

AKA Charo

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

No, there’s future tech that has an creepy surreal vibe to it but nothing supernatural. At least not yet.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

That sounds very interesting. Immediately had to give the demo a try Grin ... I feel like it’s maybe a little bit too “avant garde” with some stuff, but on the other hand; real neat look, interface ... and options! You can go into options and change fonts! And font colors!

Basically immediately made me like the game 37% more than comparable competitors. Someone actually caring about the player experience when reading the game.

rtrooney - 08 April 2022 08:47 PM

Paper must be totally free of the folder before you can write on it.

I guess kinda, but it’s typical for that sort of things in games that you need to have it to 100% (unless it’s specifically a puzzle where you need to adjust to a certain number). Like if you open a lock somewhere or have to spin something or turn on whatever it’s always got to be 100%; it’s not like in reality where if you open a pipe 99% it’ll get plenty of water flowing or you open a door 90% and then just walk through. In games it’s always 100% required ^^ So once you’re reminded of that I think it’s not an issue.

(incidentally I do have to disagree with Adv_Lvr; the puzzles in my opinion do not get harder. Slightly more complex perhaps in some specific instances but otherwise I remain with my stance that there’s exactly zero even vaguely challenging puzzles in the game)

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

PlanetX - 09 April 2022 04:17 AM

No, there’s future tech that has an creepy surreal vibe to it but nothing supernatural. At least not yet.

Ok thanks. Think I’ll pass for now, creepy’s just not my jam at the moment.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2022-04-13

PM

I am starting the Black Cube series, I got several of these games for cheap during Steam sales. I’m beginning with the newest, Bonihi, and liking it so far despite a bit lack of polish on a few minor things (it’s not really a bad point, it just makes the game look dated, particularly after playing the new Syberia!). I was expecting to play a Myst-like adventure but it’s actually 3rd person - like Syberia again - and has a good feeling like Syberia 1 or 2. Puzzles are tough and require a lot of observation and logic. Taking notes on paper is mandatory, I can feel here the influence of Myst! Good challenge, mysterious story: if I can finish it, and if the good level of challenge and puzzles continue until the end, I think it could be an unexpected gem for me!

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Glad to read this David_P. I too am looking forward a lot to playing the new Syberia game but my pc is too old and I can’t change. I would like also to discover Call of the Sea but I think it will be the same issue Grin ahah

Recently I am playing to Octopath Travaller, a j-rpg with a very nice pixel style. After months playing it when I can, I must be at over 30 hours but still not finished. Very good game if you like the genre! But I don’t know if I will finish it someday, all those repetitive battles become a little boring. Why not making a j-rpg game without battles? Ah, I’m being told that it’d be an adventure game… Tongue

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Syberia 3 (& Gemini Rue)

Syberia 3 I gave up on a couple of years ago because the controls were so awkward & clunky, my previous PC wasn’t up to it & so it proved to be unplayable.

It’s had updates since so I’ve tried it again on my new system, it’s not perfect but it plays as well as it can & the controls don’t detract too much from the flow of the game as they did before - they just seem to be a clumsier version of those in The World Before.

I read recently on a thread here, which I unfortunately I couldn’t find, some praise for the game, which I definitely agree with, which so far I’m very much enjoying.

If you liked the first 2 Syberia games & have the hardware needed to run it I would definitely recommend giving the game a shot as it looks lovely, the voice-acting is great & the story is compelling…......so far

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I was little hasty on this as I’ve since come across missing hotspots & video execution necessary to progress the game &, also a complete freeze later bringing my game to a standstill.

I came to a point where I had to get coal but there was a hotspot missing where I was unable to click on the wheel on the ship to open up the hatch to receive the coal. Also in the store on identifying the right chute that contained coal on pressing the button the hatch didn’t open but I still heard the coal being dropped although there was no video footage of this & the cart remained empty & so I couldn’t move on.

I was so disappointed but came across some svegame files from Microids one of which enabled me to get past that but I had to miss out on quite a few interesting puzzles wich included the use of a crane

Anyway after that I was able to move on until I came to Baranour....the game freezes & now there’s just no way of moving on.

I’m so disappointed but will follow the rest of the story on YouTube ( that will be a first for me as I prefer to play…)

Please Microids fix this game - it deserves to be played!

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 16 May 2022 07:20 PM

I was little hasty on this as I’ve since come across missing hotspots & video execution necessary to progress the game &, also a complete freeze later bringing my game to a standstill.

Please Microids fix this game - it deserves to be played!

That would be nice. I, too, was unable to finish the game. Although, in my case, there were non-technical issues that contributed to my failure to complete. I wonder whether a re-work of Three is even on Microids’ radar. With the success of the new game, their eyes might be focused on “what’s next?” rather than fixing what came before.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I am steadily enjoying the recently released citizen sleeper. The concept is you are a sleeper: A corporate owned android, imprinted with the recorded mind of your human self. People sign up for a sort of immortality but are met with the harsh realities of corporate servitude. So you escape to the far reaches of space in a station that has achieved some independence, erlin’s eye. The game plays like a visual novel with heavy sim elements. You choose how to spend your time to make money, get shelter, and find supplies to survive. At the start of the day you roll dice and then explore to choose where to apply those dice in order to advance different plot threads. Everything is represented in “clocks”, with some advancing as time passing or from actions you take to work on a project. Some of my favorite adventures have segments where it feels like youre just playing as a person living their daily life as mystery builds around them. And this has definitely accomplished that.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney Trilogy. I’ve been at it for a while, I enjoy many things about it. It was gift from a friend and you could definitely say a gift that keeps on giving. I think it’ll be a while before I reach the end. I don’t mind at all.

To play a game I thought I could finish in about an hour tops, I tried Cat Museum.

The game looks and sounds amazing, for one: especially the graphics are amazing. It’s a surrealist horror game, somewhere between dream, art, nightmare and memory. The puzzles start off holding your hand entirely, for some reason the game keeps this up a bit longer than it just being an in-game tutorial, but they gradually get harder after about half an hour and I just encountered a couple that were somewhat challenging: though, nothing that took my more than a minute or two. It gives the game a nice flow and pace, but I would not have minded a bit more challenge up to this point. The game is longer than I expected, though, and I suspect the puzzles are picking up. For now, I’d recommend it for the excellent style, reminiscent of Rusty Lake, also in gameplay, and When the Past Was Around and the incredible surreal horror imagery. Balanced out with cuddly cats.

edit: my brain needs an editor (or sleep) - tldr; it has wonderful art, it’s surrealist and nightmare-ish, but also sad and sweet. Gameplay: very easy to moderate challenge, with some timed events and dexterity-based elements in puzzles.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2022-06-24

PM

Vegetable Party - 09 July 2022 02:08 PM

To play a game I thought I could finish in about an hour tops, I tried Cat Museum.

The game looks and sounds amazing, for one: especially the graphics are amazing. It’s a surrealist horror game, somewhere between dream, art, nightmare and memory. The puzzles start off holding your hand entirely, for some reason the game keeps this up a bit longer than it just being an in-game tutorial, but they gradually get harder after about half an hour and I just encountered a couple that were somewhat challenging: though, nothing that took my more than a minute or two. It gives the game a nice flow and pace, but I would not have minded a bit more challenge up to this point. The game is longer than I expected, though, and I suspect the puzzles are picking up. For now, I’d recommend it for the excellent style, reminiscent of Rusty Lake, also in gameplay, and When the Past Was Around and the incredible surreal horror imagery. Balanced out with cuddly cats.

the owlet!  Heart
what a fun spooky ride.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top