• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Technobabylon.

I don’t like the setting, I don’t like the story, I don’t like the characters. It’s all a little too ‘mature’ for me. I’d rather hang out with the crew from The Dig than anyone I’ve met so far in this game.

That is so very funny, when you don’t like a game, you don’t like a game!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

I’m in the dark about what ‘mature’ means here, or why it’s bad. Especially when the Baron has posted nothing but ultra-serious heavy/death metal in the music thread.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Hiveswap Ep.1/2
I’ve finished episode 1, taking a huge break shortly before the end, then started episode 2 ... I’m just not enjoying myself. It’s got a lot of things that I find interesting but it’s not gripping me. I don’t like the characters, I really don’t like the gameplay - it seems such an enormous waste; super-detailed screens with loads of stuff and your character commenting on it but then the puzzle is just “talk to this guy” or “click on that one thing” ... more like an interactive novel at this point, tbh, and I’m not enough into whatever the heck the game is trying to do with that.

Plus, if ep.3 ever appears I’ll probably have pretty much forgotten everything up to then so ... I guess it’s different for fans ^^;

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Adv_Lvr: Not necessarily a bad game. The two protagonists paths have just converged, and there have been some very good puzzles already. Perhaps the story just isn’t my kind of story, and the people just aren’t my kind of people. Actually, there’s more to it than that, but I will save it for later.

Luhr: That’s a great question, and I’m glad you brought up the music, since my views on most metal correlate with my views of Technobabylon (so far) very nicely.  Perhaps mature is the wrong word. It’s more of an affection toward maturity.  I don’t think the kind of music I listen to is intellectually mature in terms of lyrical and thematic content -not usually, at least. Musically, it is often incredibly mature, from a standpoint of technical skill and song composition.
Likewise, the gameplay in Technobabylon has been top notch so far. It’s the story side of the game that is completely whiffing for me. Just like I think metal often strikes out when it tries to be too serious, games do the same. But I will keep listening/playing when the music/puzzles/gameplay are good enough. Trust me, I didn’t play God of War for PS2 for the plot. (And coincidentally, that is another very immature ‘Mature’ game.)
I should say that most of my favorite films are G or PG rated. Ghibli, Disney, the studio that make Song of the Sea and A Cat In Paris…things like that. So it’s a matter of taste, which I think is informed by how I see the world and what I’m looking for in my entertainment. Exceptions exist, but in general I just don’t like stories about robotic French maids that may or may not have been used by their owners for extracurricular sexy time activities cutting open one of their owners after he shot his husband who tumbled into their bedroom jacuzzi.  I prefer more light hearted adventure game fare. Or better written and less contrived dark gritty post-modern hardboiled realism.
Yeah, GTA will never be on my top 10 list.

Since I wrote my last post, I played a little more and some other things happened that I’m not on board with, such as forcing the player to perform despicable actions, in a game where I am often torn between knowing if I am role playing or just playing along.

But! I am still enjoying it, and I will keep going. I can see it getting better, and I can see it getting worse (in my own personal estimation), and I’m interested to see what my final feelings will be.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 29 May 2021 11:58 AM

Same, but maybe for different reasons. The best anecdote I’ve ever heard about GTA: two siblings playing the demo of the first game, making it a challenge to drive as neatly as possible and cause a minimum amount of casualties in the given time. I really like it when people find a way to use the given mechanics and play completely outside of the bounds set by the developer.

Since I wrote my last post, I played a little more and some other things happened that I’m not on board with, such as forcing the player to perform despicable actions, in a game where I am often torn between knowing if I am role playing or just playing along.

I get that. It’s an interesting point: does a good adventure game allow you to make decisions and take actions because you think they’re valid/important/fun/some kind of motivation other than moving the story along? Even though that is, mechanically, the obvious and desired result. Is this mostly subjective or are there good and bad ways to approach this immersive motivation?

But! I am still enjoying it, and I will keep going. I can see it getting better, and I can see it getting worse (in my own personal estimation), and I’m interested to see what my final feelings will be.

Glad to hear it and very interested in the rest of your thoughts and feelings. I had figured this game would be more up your alley, but it’s cool to learn about your approach to (adventure) games.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

VP: The puzzles are absolutely up my alley. *So far* I am just not enjoying the characterization of the people or the realization of the setting. Who knows? It might change!

As far as player-protagonist agency goes: It wouldn’t be fair to say that a *good* adventure game does one or the other, because I’ve seen plenty of good adventure games fail in both directions. But, I will say that any game would be enhanced by making it clear whether it is one or the other: Is the player responsible for the moral choices of his character, to a reasonable extent (I don’t expect complete agency from an indie point and click adventure game), or is the player along for the ride? I know that when I play Day of The Tentacle, I’m Laverne—living in her world, acting by her rules, subordinating my logic to her logic, and it’s very clear that this is the case.  If I tried to play that game as Michael Lock, I wouldn’t make it very far at all. Actually, Laverne is a bad example…Our minds are much too similar. Let’s say Ben Throttle instead. But you get the idea.
In Technobabylon, all the non-voiced text makes it seem like YOU are playing as YOU…or as you as you can be within a mostly linear narrative structure. Then you run into a dialogue tree that makes it seem like you have choices, one of which might be much more personally appealing than the other, but by the time you’ve whittled down all the options in the dialogue, you realize that only one course of action is possible. That’s frustrating, in a disturbingly* uncanny ‘who am I?’ wayI would not have bombed the vacant apartment. I would have let the blackmailer destroy my EVF material.

*Not existentially disturbing. Immersion disturbing.

Customers have shown up at the toy store, so…to be continued.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

All i will say is i love technobabylon, i love 2 outta the 3 main characters, the 3rd character grew on me. The voice acting is good. The puzzles are challenging without being obtuse, the setting and mood are up my alley as is the music. It gives the player some choice and agency, without the ridiculousness of a telltale game telling you this player will remember that. Its the closest thing to a modern classic adventure game to me.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

+1 for Technobabylon rep. I thought it was a great game!
Then again, I AM a big fan of dark and gritty and mature (whatever that means for anyone) and sinister and even morbid and full of gore, so… Different strokes!

Sure you still up for Strangeland, BB? Grin

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

DCast - 29 May 2021 05:43 PM

+1 for Technobabylon rep. I thought it was a great game!
Then again, I AM a big fan of dark and gritty and mature (whatever that means for anyone) and sinister and even morbid and full of gore, so… Different strokes!

Sure you still up for Strangeland, BB? Grin

Absolutely! There is a professed benevolence and optimism in Primordia that earned my admiration. One of the developers was in this forum a little bit ago and said something like ‘we wanted to show that it is possible to be nice and live light, even in a bleak environment.’

For the record, I am currently playing and loving Disco Elysium. I can embrace darkness, when done how I like it done. Heck, one of my favorite games is Twisted Metal: Black. It’s terrible, and it’s hilarious. I don’t like darkness or ’ grittiness’ (stupid word to describe it, but that’s the way the word is used these days) as serious social commentary, which I feel is the case with Technobabylon. Even DE, high falutin as it is at times, always seems to be winking at me and saying ‘hey, you can take this seriously, or you can take it with our collective tongues in our collective cheeks—it’s your call, and we’re not telling you what *we* really mean by it.’
That’s great writing for ya.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Other things i love about technobabylon, the length is perfect to me. It has a satisfying ending but with the openness for a sequel. It has good representation for different types of characters, but puts the character First, before the representation of said character. The villains while not super complex are definitely more than one note cliches. The writing is excellent, it has a very serious tone but just enough humor injected in the right spots so it doesnt become dour.

Total Posts: 1261

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

What can I say? I loved Technobabylon, for me it’s the adventure game made in this century I enjoyed the most and chapter 111-JAHILIYYAH is superb.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Baron_Blubba - 29 May 2021 11:58 AM

Luhr: That’s a great question, and I’m glad you brought up the music, since my views on most metal correlate with my views of Technobabylon (so far) very nicely.  Perhaps mature is the wrong word. It’s more of an affection toward maturity.  I don’t think the kind of music I listen to is intellectually mature in terms of lyrical and thematic content -not usually, at least. Musically, it is often incredibly mature, from a standpoint of technical skill and song composition.
Likewise, the gameplay in Technobabylon has been top notch so far. It’s the story side of the game that is completely whiffing for me. Just like I think metal often strikes out when it tries to be too serious, games do the same. But I will keep listening/playing when the music/puzzles/gameplay are good enough. Trust me, I didn’t play God of War for PS2 for the plot. (And coincidentally, that is another very immature ‘Mature’ game.)
I should say that most of my favorite films are G or PG rated. Ghibli, Disney, the studio that make Song of the Sea and A Cat In Paris…things like that. So it’s a matter of taste, which I think is informed by how I see the world and what I’m looking for in my entertainment. Exceptions exist, but in general I just don’t like stories about robotic French maids that may or may not have been used by their owners for extracurricular sexy time activities cutting open one of their owners after he shot his husband who tumbled into their bedroom jacuzzi.  I prefer more light hearted adventure game fare. Or better written and less contrived dark gritty post-modern hardboiled realism.

Thanks for that detailed post, it definitely clears up your stance on the game.

And while I was reading I was thinking, maybe my own views on music also mirror this debate but in a different way. While I was playing Primordia, with its dark and very gloomy aesthetic, I didn’t really get the sense that it was for any greater end or goal. And with music I’m often like that, when what I’m hearing just seems to be there for the hell of it, because it sounds cool. A lot of metal is a prime example of that.

I can’t say too much about Technobabylon because it’s been years since I played it, but I didn’t get that same sense about it. And it’s not that I need social commentary either (if that’s what Technobabylon has) - if anything I’m put off by it. Just something more than “hey look! Flying cars! Robots! Cool VR headsets!”

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

“The Last Express”. It immediately won me over. I figured out its mechanic quite soon after and now I’m eavesdropping, possibly swindling a German arms dealer and snooping around like it’s nobody’s business.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Made quite a bit of progress in Technobabylon. I just booted everyone off the server in the opium den, playing as the thralled girl. Good puzzles, excellent story set up, especially having Charlie chasing after Thrall Girl in order to save her, and her running from him because she thinks he wants to kill her. The idea itself is not original, but the way it’s set up is superlative. I think I’m enjoying the forest of this game, but not the trees. The overall plot is pretty good, but I just don’t like the details. I could go into the nitty gritty of why I think the characters are poorly written pieces of cardboard, and the problem with the narrator switching between second person and first person, as if the designers decided to switch up the style half way through production. But I’ll do that later. For now, I think my main issue is more personal: The culture of this game is just lost on me. I ‘get it’, but I don’t like it. I don’t enjoy playing as an internet addict (even though I see the character growth/change coming), and I don’t enjoy playing as hardboiled Charlie—just not the kind of person I relate to, and Max is okay, but just…bland. Everyone is so bland. The hackers, the doctors, the CEL officers, the AI characters. The best character so far was the guy selling salvation outside the opium den, but even he is a transparent vehicle for an obvious idea. He gets away with it, because street corner psycho salvation-selling preachers are generally just vehicles for ideas, even in real life.
That all sounds so harsh. Truth be told, I’m enjoying the game more and more as it goes on, and I can see many of the reasons why so many people like it so much. The puzzles range from good to excellent, and the story is broad but focused. So it’s delicious, but not my taste. Or at least, not my favorite dish.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

See i love regis and max, i think they are both really well written and expertly voice acted. Latha aka thrall girl is the mixed bag to me as a character, but she easily had the best puzzles in the game. I love how the internet is used, everything about the game just works for me.

By the way there are different ways to solve the internet den puzzles baron.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top