• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #74 - Still Life

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2022 03:36 PM

I honestly don’t think I heard any beeping in this puzzle…....Here you can just adjust overall volume.

I have the GOG version same as you Tim & unless you have the sound turned right down the ‘beeping’ is definitely audible.

rtrooney - 26 August 2022 03:36 PM

I didn’t realize that speed mattered. Not the game’s fault.

Sorry to disagree but of course it is the ‘game’s fault’! The developers of the game in my mind didn’t have to include the timing element as the puzzle was good enough without it!  Smile

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s not the game’s fault that they included a timed puzzle. But I agree with you that it’s a design flaw when they don’t tell you it’s timed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2022 06:21 PM

It’s not the game’s fault that they included a timed puzzle.

The ‘game’ is an inanimate thing designed by developers that can’t be responsible for anything unless it’s programmed to do so by developers so anything you perceive as the ‘game’s fault’ is down to the developers.  Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, the developers could have included a hint in the Document. The same one that gave us the PIN. It could have simply said that when you use the new ID card you have five seconds to enter the information. But they didn’t. And thanks to Sylv, I got through it anyway, That hint would have been so easy to include.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 26 August 2022 08:34 PM

Well, the developers could have included a hint in the Document. The same one that gave us the PIN. It could have simply said that when you use the new ID card you have five seconds to enter the information

Yes! that would have been helpful.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

chrissie - 26 August 2022 06:56 AM

I confess to peeking at a wt to solve the chest puzzle - I realised what the reference was but I’m totally useless at that kind of puzzle. But apart from that I’ve very much enjoyed the first chapter!

I always write down the combinations that move along with any of the buttons. But it was really difficult to ‘compute’ it like that, in this case.
I knew how to reduce ot to just three buttons, and I guess I had luck from then :-)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

sylv - 27 August 2022 02:02 AM

I always write down the combinations that move along with any of the buttons. But it was really difficult to ‘compute’ it like that, in this case. I knew how to reduce ot to just three buttons, and I guess I had luck from then :-)

Strange thing just happened. I was trying to replay to sylv’s post when the spoiler tag stopped working. So I will simplify my response to un-spoiler it. I think one of the problems we puzzle solvers have when encountering this type of puzzle is that we think we must use all the resources i.e., buttons we are presented with. Often, as in this puzzle, that turns out not to be the case.

I hope the spoiler tag gets resolved. Would be hard to complete a playthrough without it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Testing 1, 2, 3
They seem to be working, Tim.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 August 2022 01:11 PM

Testing 1, 2, 3
They seem to be working, Tim.

It was down for a bit. I saw messages on other threads where the tagged message was visible as were the [spoiler] tags themselves. Glad it’s fixed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Just a quick note. I know chapter two starts on Wednesday. I have some appointments on Wednesday and Thursday. Will not be able to start until Friday. Hope to catch up by the time chapter three starts.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1265

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

I finally managed to play chapter one last night, I will comment it later.

Now, we can continue with…

Chapter 2: The Persistence of Memory

In this chapter we will play as Gus McPherson, Victoria’s grandfather. We will realized we have finished the chapter when Gus makes a finding and we are back with Victoria recieving a phone call from Claire. Please stop after the call is over.

As spoken, we will have one week to play this chapter, until September 6.

Let’s find out about Gus investigations!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1265

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

About chapter 1, I agree with you about entering the code at the morgue (I didn’t have the problem of time as I was certain I had to use the VODKA keys, similar to other puzzles in other games, so I pressed them quick enough, but it’s true the game sounds a tiny beep when you use too much time, and I agree they could have warned the player in the instructions document).

About opening the chest, I gave up. I have no patience for that kind of puzzles nor sliders nor mazes, so if I fail a few times, I learnt it is better for me to look up for the solution in a walktrough. My temper appreciates that.

I love the mature tone of the game, the proffesionalism of the forensic parts and the intro (a classic for me, like “Paris in the fall”...)

I am very intrigued what Grandad Gus has to do with Victoria’s case…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Having got to this next part of the game & getting familiar with some of the in-game features I like that you can access documents to get some background of the current person/people & revisit their dialogues.

I thought the artwork in Gus’s current day Prague along with the locations is stunning & the details of rippling water & reflections very impressive!

I haven’t finished this next part yet but as far as I’ve got I got a little stuck in the park when I wasn’t sure what to do when the ‘use’ icon appeared along with the photo from the morgue It was a good way to learn about a feature of the interface which I was oblivious to until then!

I liked the safe puzzle & thought I knew how to use the symbols to work out the numbers – nearly….... but I counted the wrong details Also I’ve since learnt that there may be a visual clue around to help?

I think I’ve got quite a lot more to do to finsih this part.     
Smile

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

chrissie - 01 September 2022 03:58 PM

I thought the artwork in Gus’s current day Prague along with the locations is stunning & the details of rippling water & reflections very impressive!   
Smile

Yes, I agree!
Also, I like the huge difference between the two situations: in the past and in the present. Also, in Prague, that the colours are almost absent, with the dresses of some of the ladies as an exception.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m now back with Victoria receiving a phone call so ready to move on!

I did reload a save to see the visual clue I was alerted to - it’s not an easy clue but if you can work it out it could help to solve the safe puzzle.

I liked the other prominent puzzles in this section which was the first part to activate the crane by solving a slider puzzle (one of my guilty pleasures!) & the second part to manoeuvring the crane

From an arty point of view there were a couple of nice scenes where you could see Gus’s reflection which reminded me of Post Mortem.

sylv - 02 September 2022 03:49 AM

…..Also, I like the huge difference between the two situations: in the past and in the present. Also, in Prague, that the colours are almost absent, with the dresses of some of the ladies as an exception.

Yes, me too!

Two of the more characteristic/interesting characters (I thought) were Kubina the pimp who I found suitably sleazy & the coachman/part-time homeless guy wonderfully portrayed with an air of mystery about him.

I’ve missed this type of presentation in games but I don’t miss the glitches where you sometimes have to fiddle around before you can move a character that’s ‘doing a dance on the spot’!  Laughing   

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top