• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #74 - Still Life

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Yes, the inventory mechanics are a little rough. Even though walas’s description is pretty accurate, the fist icon doesn’t always appear when use of an inventory item is available. On one of the blood stains it appeared. In the other room it didn’t. But both camera and swab actions worked in each room. Perhaps the game figures if you learned how to do something, it doesn’t need to tell you how to do in subsequent situations.

I made it back to the office. Am now temporarily stuck trying to get into the Morgue. I have a few days to figure out what I am doing wrong. (Yes, I have turned over the ID card. So I think I have the right information. It must be the sequencing.)

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK! Rather than look for a WT, I thought I would ask here first. Problem: I can’t get into the morgue because my access code isn’t recognized. I have read the document, picked up my replacement card, and read the information on the back of the card. I’m assuming these numbers are not randomly generated, and are the same for everyone. The information in the document says to swipe the card and enter the PIN number. I did that, and hit OK. No luck.

Then I tried combinations.

Manually enter vodka OK PIN OK
Manually enter vodka PIN OK
Swipe card OK PIN OK
Swipe card, enter vodka OK PIN OK
Swipe card, enter vodka PIN OK
In all instances PIN = 583

In all instances access was denied. Help!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

Haven’t played this in ages.  I love the graphics.  What I really love about these mid 90s - mid 2000s era games is the pre-rendered cutscenes.  I definitely prefer these to modern games that just do on the fly in-game rendering for all cutscenes.  (Like compare syberia 1 or longest journey 1 to the most recent syberia for example.)  I don’t know why developers moved away from having the pre-rendered cutscenes which had more shading and gfx to just using in game graphics.  Anyway looking forward to getting back into this one Grin cheers

Total Posts: 1266

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

You are most welcome to this CPT, syn.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

chrissie - 24 August 2022 10:16 AM

I haven’t got too far with the game yet.

As to skipping dialogue have you tried pressing the spacebar sylv? It worked for me.

Smile

Oh, wow, thank you :-)

And yes, there really is progress in game development. But that shows al the more how good this game is, for its time!

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

rtrooney - 24 August 2022 06:26 PM

OK! Rather than look for a WT, I thought I would ask here first.

You did everything right (swipe card, enter vodka, ok).
However, you really have to do it fast. You can hear it: the sound of the beep changes when you are too slow.

This was, I think a bit unnecessary hard. But they gave good feedback, with the beep.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks. I’ll give it a try this afternoon.  Thumbs Up

EDIT:

I finished the first episode. Entrance to the Morgue is very finicky. Even knowing what I had to do still took more than a few tries before I was able to actually do it. (My monitor is happy that I had no heavy objects at hand. Otherwise I would have been on a trip to Best Buy buying a new one.) I also found the pixel hunting while looking for the light switch in the attic a little annoying.

Also, the ending of episode one and the start of episode two are connected by some dialog and two cut scenes. So you won’t actually be able to stop until the cut scene in episode two ends.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

As I mentioned in the above post, I finished chapter one. From installing the game (twice,) to finishing the chapter, it took about four days of intermittent playing. I’m sure other chapters are going to be longer, so I’m keeping my vote at one chapter per week.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 25 August 2022 10:51 AM

Thanks. I’ll give it a try this afternoon.  Thumbs Up

Also, the ending of episode one and the start of episode two are connected by some dialog and two cut scenes. So you won’t actually be able to stop until the cut scene in episode two ends.

Yeah, I wrote in my starting chapter post we should stop after the cutscene and we realize we are playing as Gus.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 25 August 2022 07:42 PM

Yeah, I wrote in my starting chapter post we should stop after the cutscene and we realize we are playing as Gus.

Of course. It just seemed as though the transition between episodes wasn’t as clear as it was for Amerzone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I peeked a walkthrough in Youtube to check if there was a clear separation between chapters (even a titular with the name of the chapter) but I saw none.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 25 August 2022 09:27 PM

I peeked a walkthrough in Youtube to check if there was a clear separation between chapters (even a titular with the name of the chapter) but I saw none.

Blushing, I also looked at a written WT I found on GameBoomers, and the episode/chapter transition is equally vague.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve got to the beginning of Chapter 2. No, there wasn’t a clear label but switching to playing as Gus was a clear stopping point!

I was surprised at how easily I flowed through this first part except for the morgue door puzzle :

sylv - 25 August 2022 02:26 AM

This was, I think a bit unnecessary hard.

Yes! It took me a few attempts.
Can you imagine having to do the same to access your workplace!  Laughing

I confess to peeking at a wt to solve the chest puzzle - I realised what the reference was but I’m totally useless at that kind of puzzle. But apart from that I’ve very much enjoyed the first chapter!

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Also finished the first chapter and i enjoyed it a lot. I like the acting, i like the mature content and dark mood of the game. I had problem with entering the morgue and had to check sylv’s spoiler to get in. Also couldnt open the box in the end. I had to check a walkthrough and seems i hadn’t find the reference. After that with some random clicking i managed to open it. Not sure if there is some kind of pattern to get the right combination, i just stayed there for 15-20 min till i get it randomly right.

Well a great start and the story seems very interesting. Cant wait to see how it will unfold.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

sylv - 25 August 2022 02:26 AM
rtrooney - 24 August 2022 06:26 PM

OK! Rather than look for a WT, I thought I would ask here first.

You did everything right (swipe card, enter vodka, ok).
However, you really have to do it fast. You can hear it: the sound of the beep changes when you are too slow.

This was, I think a bit unnecessary hard. But they gave good feedback, with the beep.

I was thinking about this. I honestly don’t think I heard any beeping in this puzzle. I won’t say that casual games are more advanced, but with most casuals you can adjust music, voice, effects and ambient noise levels individually. Here you can just adjust overall volume. I would guess most people would adjust volume for either voice or music. (If they adjust it at all.) So if I adjust the voce level low enough that it doesn’t disturb someone in the next room I might be missing out on the beeping. Until you told me, I didn’t realize that speed mattered. Not the game’s fault. Just a nit pik.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top