• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #74 - Still Life

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

chrissie - 28 September 2022 09:41 AM

I’m not sure that there is any info that you get that you can’t check on again?

To enter the secret room you need a combination. The first part of the combination comes from the name of painting that the game gives to you only once when you click for the first time. After that whenever you examine the paintings you can only see them without seeing their names. I solved this puzzle by trying all possible combinations but the right way is by following the phrase on the left of the panel. I was curious why it was the painting with the skull first on the combination and the reason is that it is called “reminder” something and it matches with “memoir”

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks Nico, you’re right! I didn’t notice the first time I played & the second time I already knew what paintings corresponded so didn’t need to look at the paintings a second time     Smile

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 28 September 2022 09:41 AM
rtrooney - 23 September 2022 02:59 PM

Question: When I talked to Claire at the studio murder site she mentioned that I should read the memoirs. Is she talking about the crime scene reports or something else? I don’t have anything in Documents that has the word “memoir” in it.

I don’t recall Claire mentioning that to me but I did find it’s quite easy to overlook reading new info. I’m not sure that there is any info that you get that you can’t check on again?

I should clarify this. You need to talk to Claire twice. When you first talk to her she is busy and kind of blows you off. The longer conversation which includes her memoirs recommendation occurs when you meet with her at the crime scene a second time. If you only talked with her once, you wouldn’t have heard her mention the memoirs. She also berates you a bit for taking items from the crime scene before she got there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I wasn’t able to play the chapter yet, I will try to catch up this weekend. As show must go on, the following post is for next chapter.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

We are getting closer to the end. Let’s play…

Chapter 6: The Scream

We are Gus now and you will have seen him beating Skalnic badly. We will continue our investigation in Prague. And we will find a maze. I don’t usually like mazes, let’s hope this one is not terrible. This chapter should be shorter than chapter 5.

We will realize this chapter ends when we are in some kind of art exposition and someone is explaining some paintings. You should stop when regaining control of Victoria.

As always, one week to play this chapter, until October 4th.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 28 September 2022 02:17 PM

I should clarify this. You need to talk to Claire twice. When you first talk to her she is busy and kind of blows you off. The longer conversation which includes her memoirs recommendation occurs when you meet with her at the crime scene a second time. If you only talked with her once, you wouldn’t have heard her mention the memoirs. She also berates you a bit for taking items from the crime scene before she got there.

Thank you Tim, I reloaded a save to just after I got past the bouncer & left to go & see Claire again. That is quite a lot of conversation to miss! Whether you do that or not makes any difference is yet to be discovered but I tried to continue the chapter after that but the game crashed!  Sick
I’ll just add here on the subject of Mia, if you read the journal Victoria does refer to the ‘attention’ paid from her towards Victoria

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It may not make ay difference, but then again….? She does give the information that the killer’s MO changed. Which might mean nothing, or it might mean that there are now two killers working in tandem. Just having that information might prove valuable n’est pas?

To be honest, I’m surprised at how little of the game I remember. I totally forgot about the lockpick puzzle and the slider puzzle. I played it when it first came out, but that was 17 years ago. I was probably playing a fair number of games around that time. Games that I might not remember playing at all, let alone the details of the games. I might not even have remembered the cookie bake puzzle if not for the fact that every other year there’s poll that asks us to name the worst puzzles of all time, and cookie bake always ends up in the Top 10. I also remember the mechanical spider puzzle because, in addition to its difficulty, it really creeped me out.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve finished chapter 6 which was so short I was surprised when I found myself in the present day at the beginning of chapter 7!

There are only 3 puzzles in this section which include a fairly easy maze & a dastardly slider which I had to refer to a walkthrough to solve which was a puzzle in itself!

rtrooney - 23 September 2022 06:42 PM

I took a short tour of the gallery’s paintings. I’m sure everyone else noticed that they were all signed MA. The only MA I know is Mark Ackerman, the painter in Prague. So how did Richard get ahold of them? Things are getting curiouser and curiouser[/spoiler].

I did find out in this chapter that Ackerman returned to the US after his father resigned as ambassador & also that Skalnic was going to blame Gus for Ackerman’s misdemeanours which explains the beating.

As short as it was it was still an enjoyable chapter.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it through the maze. Not that difficult, but it begs why? Is the first part of the maze only there as a vehicle for finding a second body? Wasn’t there another way? Then there was the re-tracing to get back to the starting point. Again, why? Couldn’t there have simply been another part of the maze that gets you to the ring puzzle?

So I am at the ring puzzle. I am guessing that I’m supposed to match the six rings with the ring images shown on the six squares below. Before I start tearing my hair out, could it really be that simple?

Edit: Well the answer is that it really can almost be that simple! BUT…if I back out of the game, the game resets, and there is no way to save a game while the puzzle is full-screen. And to make matters worse, the game froze, as opposed to crashing when trying to save the game. Thoughts?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I went back to a save game just before I started the six rings puzzle, solved that puzzle again, backed out and clicked on the door. Good to see that the solved puzzle was intact. Backed out again, saved the game. Went forward and solved the key puzzle. This particular type of slider puzzle is one I don’t much care. I did try it about three times before resorting to a walkthrough.

A reminder that it’s a good idea to save a game before starting a puzzle.

What follows is deeply disturbing. What follows that is even worse, i.e. watching Richard giving a totally inaccurate/uninformed description of Ackerman’s paintings. Although we do find out that Ackerman returned to the US, first LA and then Chicago in the early 1930s. That explains why his artwork is in Chicago, but doesn’t explain how Richard managed to acquire them. I guess that’s something for us to find out now that we’re in Chapter 7.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

A nice short chapter that escalates the story. I didnt have any problem this time with the two puzzles. Managed to do the ring puzzle pretty fast. Its a lot easier than it looks. I dont consider maze a puzzle as it is straightforward, only thing that is annoying is the lack of light. Anyway this was pretty short, i think i finished it in an hour or an hour and half and most of it was messing with the two puzzles.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I want to add to my comments about the slider puzzle at the end of Chapter 6. It think it is solvable without a walkthrough. Perhaps fairly easily if you just take the time to look at the puzzle and mentally map out the moves you think will get you to the solution.

I said I didn’t care for this type of slider. But the ones I’m familiar with are a bit more complex. Picture a 3x3 graphic with the individual squares misplaced. But instead of having access to each individual square via three pins on each horizontal and vertical axis, imagine you only have movement on the two outside columns (left/right) and the two horizontal rows (top/bottom). This makes finding the solution much more difficult.

So, when I saw this slider, I equated it with its read-headed cousin and gave up too soon. I’m going to reload an give it another try. After all, I’ve got a lot of time to waste before we get to the final chapter on Wednesday.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 408

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

The key slider had me stuck at first, and I was trying to solve it randomly. After doing it for a while, I suddenly saw the pattern of how it moved, and was able to solve it then.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

I think this was a very nice variation on a slider puzzle!
Also, in this chapter, it struck me that the atmosphere of Prague is captured beautifully. Somehow better than the Chicago scenes.

Really disturbing paintings and a disturbing explanation!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Is anyone still playing? Or in my case, replaying parts of the last Chapter, looking for a way to do better, or find things we might have missed?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top