• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #71: The Shapeshifting Detective

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I did a replay already and now I get what the deal with “needing replays” means. It is not needed per se, but yeah, just playing it once might result in an unsatisfying ending in more ways than one.

I was quite underwhelmed by my first ending. I didn’t think it really fit. My second one was definitely better but it lacked the confrontation with the killer which I had on my first playthrough.

I’m still holding back some things and waiting until people are finished, and one big revelation about the game will probably present itself here. I don’t want to spoil it.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I generally liked the game. I would rate it with 3.5 stars as good.
The acting was very good. There seems to be a lot of variety with conversations. Also is nice watching a murder mystery on FMV and trying to find the killer while you change roles.

What i didnt like as some previous posters noticed was the ending. I got to chose the killer in the end. And i dont even know if i was right. Game ended without a resolution and didnt explain why the killer was the killer. I just chose the most suspsicious person and from what i read from the review if i was wrong i was supposed to die so i guess i chose right.

Probably a replay would do more justice to the game but not sure i m interested atm with so many games available to play.

In the end what matters is that i enjoyed the game and i would suggest it to people that are interested in murder mystery games. But i have to also say that the breaking of a 3 hours game without puzzles in 3-4 weeks time doesnt make it justice, especially when you need to remember information from the people you have talked to.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

millenia - 11 April 2022 09:09 AM

I did a replay already and now I get what the deal with “needing replays” means. It is not needed per se, but yeah, just playing it once might result in an unsatisfying ending in more ways than one.

I was quite underwhelmed by my first ending. I didn’t think it really fit. My second one was definitely better but it lacked the confrontation with the killer which I had on my first playthrough.

I’m still holding back some things and waiting until people are finished, and one big revelation about the game will probably present itself here. I don’t want to spoil it.

This is one of my favorite FMV games, but I also think the ending could be stronger. All my FMV games I replay, as this is part of the fun of these games.

Anyway, mods feel free to unhook this game. As usual, please continue to play and post your thoughts, good or bad.

The nice part of these CPTs is the variety, we do classics as well as new releases.

Finally, this game is a bargain at 5 bucks.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Nico2021 - 11 April 2022 09:49 AM

.......But i have to also say that the breaking of a 3 hours game without puzzles in 3-4 weeks time doesnt make it justice, especially when you need to remember information from the people you have talked to.

The pace of the playthroughs doesn’t suit everyone but it does seem to suit members that have other commitments that leave them little time to keep up with the playthroughs. Also the time to complete a game varies from player to player - my own playing time has so far amounted to 6.5.
hours.

@ Adv_Lvr there’s still players to report back & more to say from some of us so a little more time is needed before the playthrough concludes so please the thread doesn’t need to be unpinned just yet.    Smile

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Yes, I’d like to read some final thoughts. I got my first ending, I’m giving it another go later this week.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

One thing that made me feel a bit underwhelmed about the ending was (vague spoilers)how much they built up the whole traveler thing, and in the end, I think no matter what ending you get, the theories are a bit off. I think some endings fit much better than others, but I don’t see anything happening that would make it fit nicely.

Certainly everything doesn’t need to fit nicely, but it creates even more confusion in the first playthrough.

There are still some things I want to try out, and probably will, while waiting for others to finish.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just finished the game.

I clocked over 6 hours, but more than one hour of that was listening to the “Dark Nights with Poe and Munro” show. Tongue

I correctly picked the killer, it was Rayne in this playthrough, but unfortunately Ellis died. I did get augmented at the end, though.

Despite the fact that the entire gameplay feels underwhelming - it was just me going through the motions of shapeshifting into everybody and talking to everybody about everything each time - and that the ending feels rushed (no explanation about the traveller? Or about us for that matter?), I do feel like the game deserves a replay where I try a few things differently, just to see what changes, and if I get a bit more out of it or not.

Overall it’s not a bad game. The acting is solid enough, the camera work is good (except for a few shots when people aren’t there - Rayne’s couch is *very* out of focus), but I kinda wish there was a little more to the gameplay. Or at least that I felt like I had a slightly better handle on things. Like I said: most of the game I was just going through the motions…

But, hey, I’ll definitely be giving this a replay, so who knows? Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Was not playing this CPT, but am curious how long until it concludes. One week? Two weeks?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 11 April 2022 09:53 PM

Was not playing this CPT, but am curious how long until it concludes. One week? Two weeks?

I’d say one week should do it.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

TimovieMan - 11 April 2022 06:31 PM

I just finished the game.

I clocked over 6 hours, but more than one hour of that was listening to the “Dark Nights with Poe and Munro” show. Tongue

I correctly picked the killer, it was Rayne in this playthrough, but unfortunately Ellis died. I did get augmented at the end, though.

Despite the fact that the entire gameplay feels underwhelming - it was just me going through the motions of shapeshifting into everybody and talking to everybody about everything each time - and that the ending feels rushed (no explanation about the traveller? Or about us for that matter?), I do feel like the game deserves a replay where I try a few things differently, just to see what changes, and if I get a bit more out of it or not.

Overall it’s not a bad game. The acting is solid enough, the camera work is good (except for a few shots when people aren’t there - Rayne’s couch is *very* out of focus), but I kinda wish there was a little more to the gameplay. Or at least that I felt like I had a slightly better handle on things. Like I said: most of the game I was just going through the motions…

But, hey, I’ll definitely be giving this a replay, so who knows? Tongue

I think this is a fair review. I liked the game, a lot actually, I might say. But your assessment is on point.

MAJOR SPOILERS HERE:

About the ending, first time I didn’t pick the right killer. I had no idea there could be different killers in different playthroughs, that actually blew my mind a bit. So I felt it was actually kind of cool to be caught by them. And I didn’t even die.

But my killer was Zak, who was super duper creepy but I didn’t feel like he fit in the traveler theory at all.

With all the shadiness with Violet, I though Zak was the red herring and Violet the real killer. Zak being the actual killer seemed to me, that he started seeing things in photos and went off the rails, being quite a misogynist bastard in the begin with. After knowing about multiple possible killers and how the travelers are not really the main plotline, it was obvious that it was Zak.

edit. I forgot one thing, added it here because it’s about the paragraph above.
One more reason I didn’t pick Zak as the killer was that I thought Lexie had him handled. I asked Lexie to investigate him, and talked about restraining the traveler. When Zak disappeared, I though Lexie had tied him up somewhere. Grin
/edit

The second time I got the killer right, and while the story seemed to fit better, it was quite anticlimatic that the killer being jailed just disappeared and that was it.

Btw, I liked how after two female characters come on to Sam really strong, it’s actually possible to show interest towards Rayne in the end.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

After giving the story a lot of thought I’ve come to the conclusion that the plot is far more enjoyable if you don’t challenge it too much as the main elements which should ideally be connected & work as a whole just don’t - at least not for me & no number of replays will in my mind help to join the dots.

The focus of the story to start with obviously is the murder of redhead Dorota Shaw & the hiring of a detective `Sam’, unbeknown to Chief Dupont a shapeshifter. to help find the perpetrator.

I loved the premise of Sam appearing as someone else & often having to find ways of extracting info from people who think Sam, as the person he/she presents as, should already know. 

But who is Agent X, who or what is `Sam’ & why is he/she specifically allocated to this case?
Is the reason connected to the three tarot readers & their `job’?

The explanation for the tarot readers’ presence i.e. travelling to August because the murder + victim was predicted via their special tarot deck & an Ouija board respectively needs a major suspension of disbelief for anyone that has the slightest inkling of how tarot cards & Ouija boards are used but okay, disbelief suspended.

But even more convoluted is that the `tarot’ readers’ job is to track down & save the potential victims of entities known as travellers who have the ability to occupy a human body.

The travellers apparently like to collect `ornaments’ in groups of 3 for decorative purposes such as human heads & it seems perhaps this time they want redheads. Was violet’s dream an indication of the travellers’ `window shopping’?

It seems that towards the end of the game Sam always becomes either the second or 3rd victim so is Sam a redhead too?

If its travellers wanting a collection of redheads’ heads why are the bodies found intact?

Is it that the perpetrators who seem to be either Zak, Rayne or Violet each time are not responsible as they are just the host bodies & they are in particular used due to strong emotions perceived by the travellers such as misogyny. hatred, previous conviction used as faux motives along with the gold coins to hide their identity from perhaps Sam as I’m convinced that they are the real reason Sam is there & a reason why he/she may choose to go with the tarot readers?

Anyway I have to reinstate the star I took away as I’ve had too much fun with the game on my 2nd replay & I’ve enjoyed reading everyone else’s comments. 
I’d be pleased if anyone could fill in any gaps or correct me but meanwhile thanks Adv_Lvr for leading the playthrough!     

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

chrissie - 12 April 2022 06:21 AM

It seems that towards the end of the game Sam always becomes either the second or 3rd victim so is Sam a redhead too?

Haha, I didn’t think of that. But I don’t think the whole red head motive is actually proven.

chrissie - 12 April 2022 06:21 AM

Is it that the perpetrators who seem to be either Zak, Rayne or Violet each time are not responsible as they are just the host bodies & they are in particular used due to strong emotions perceived by the travellers such as misogyny. hatred, previous conviction used as faux motives along with the gold coins to hide their identity from perhaps Sam as I’m convinced that they are the real reason Sam is there & a reason why he/she may choose to go with them?

Personally I don’t buy that Zak was a traveler. They should be hiding their identity, and he’s revealing the whole “pictures move” thing, and seems to be genuinely upset about it. Also, in my ending he seemed to really freak out about Sam’s shifting. I mean, it’s not completely impossible that he’s acting for some reason, but it just doesn’t fit.

Violet on the other hand could be a traveler. There’s the same problem about “why raise suspicions with the alien abduction story”, but I think that’s easily explained with the Rayne’s theory that traveler was “window shopping”. Violet told others about the experience before she became the traveler fully, so she couldn’t pretend nothing had ever happened.

The bigger issue thinking that if Zak and Violet were travelers in their respective attempted killing sprees is their emotional state. If the travelers are sneaky things with plans - as hiding their identity would suggest - why are they acting so emotionally? If it’s a cover of some sort, wouldn’t a better cover be to remain cool in the begin with? Do they actually want to get caught? To me, it felt more like maybe the travelers were messing with their heads but never actually took over completely.

Both Zak and Violet had real personal motives for choosing their victims too. Maybe that’s how travelers work though, they pick a person that has the desire to hurt the intended victims?

I wasn’t a big fan of the victims either, to be honest Wink
Nothing wrong with active sex lives, but both were intentionally misleading their partners, and it seems, actively hunting opportunities to cheat. And then “oh no, I can’t possibly think of any reason why anyone would have wanted to hurt me Crazy “.

I have not yet played a route with the third killer, so I’m not sure how it will fit with everything I wrote here. I think I’ll check it out too, just to see if I can still hit on him Wink.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

millenia - 12 April 2022 10:18 AM

………I don’t think the whole red head motive is actually proven.

No, perhaps not proven exactly but in my second playthrough Ellis Munroe was the second redhead to be murdered & Victoria, if I recall correctly, was concerned about herself.
This combined with the revelations of the tarot readers about the power of number 3 & events in Birmingham if you believe in the story about the travellers makes sense otherwise it could also make sense if you believe it’s the work of a serial killer. I think it depends on what information you glean & that does seem to vary on subsequent playthroughs for different players depending on choices although I think that the details are the same regardless of who the perpetrator is in each case.

Personally I don’t buy that Zak was a traveler. They should be hiding their identity, and he’s revealing the whole “pictures move” thing, and seems to be genuinely upset about it. Also, in my ending he seemed to really freak out about Sam’s shifting. I mean, it’s not completely impossible that he’s acting for some reason, but it just doesn’t fit.

Agreed. I don’t think that any of the perpetrators themselves were travellers, travellers who in my mind were just hiding in their bodies without affecting their identity & personality etc if that makes sense. I also don’t believe that the travellers recognised Sam as a shapeshifter

I saw Zak as a sleazeball to start with but underneath that it seemed he had a serious misogynistic streak which I believe that a traveller by occupying his body (like a parasite) was able to use to tip him over to committing a murder which he might not otherwise have done  

Violet on the other hand could be a traveler. There’s the same problem about “why raise suspicions with the alien abduction story”, but I think that’s easily explained with the Rayne’s theory that traveler was “window shopping”. Violet told others about the experience before she became the traveler fully, so she couldn’t pretend nothing had ever happened.

I don’t think in each playthrough any of the characters becomes a traveller, they’re just ‘infected’ with one & don’t realise so…..

The bigger issue thinking that if Zak and Violet were travelers in their respective attempted killing sprees is their emotional state. If the travelers are sneaky things with plans - as hiding their identity would suggest - why are they acting so emotionally? If it’s a cover of some sort, wouldn’t a better cover be to remain cool in the begin with? Do they actually want to get caught? To me, it felt more like maybe the travelers were messing with their heads but never actually took over completely.[/spoiler]

I don’t believe that Zak & Violet were travellers But yes!!!! their heads were messed with.

Both Zak and Violet had real personal motives for choosing their victims too. Maybe that’s how travelers work though, they pick a person that has the desire to hurt the intended victims?

Yes!!!! (But they wouldn’t actually do any serious harm if it wasn’t for the travellers ‘infesting’ them)

I wasn’t a big fan of the victims either, to be honest Wink
Nothing wrong with active sex lives, but both were intentionally misleading their partners, and it seems, actively hunting opportunities to cheat. And then “oh no, I can’t possibly think of any reason why anyone would have wanted to hurt me Crazy “. [/spoiler]

Poe doesn’t get off too lightly there either!  Laughing

I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts millenia & I’m sorry as I realise I didn’t express myself too well in the first place! We do seem to be more or less on the same page.
Smile

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

chrissie - 12 April 2022 01:03 PM

No, perhaps not proven exactly but in my second playthrough Ellis Munroe was the second redhead to be murdered & Victoria, if I recall correctly, was concerned about herself.
This combined with the revelations of the tarot readers about the power of number 3 & events in Birmingham if you believe in the story about the travellers makes sense otherwise it could also make sense if you believe it’s the work of a serial killer. I think it depends on what information you glean & that does seem to vary on subsequent playthroughs for different players depending on choices although I think that the details are the same regardless of who the perpetrator is in each case.

Oh I believe there would be 3 victims, and the whole red head thing is heavily implied in several places (at one point speaking with Rayne if I remember correctly, there is a small debate where the player - as who I don’t recall - can doubt the whole red head thing and Rayne disagrees.) The whole red head motive is so spoonfed to the player, I just started to doubt it myself. When something is treated as obvious, it might not be. And in the end, there is no actual confirmation than it would be the reason for picking the victims. Dorota and Ellis have a lot in common otherwise too.

Yes!!!! (But they wouldn’t actually do any serious harm if it wasn’t for the travellers ‘infesting’ them)

I agree, they dislike the victims or even hold a grudge, but they needed to be influenced to pass the barrier of killing.

Poe doesn’t get off too lightly there either!  Laughing

Yeah, another douche there, but no one tried to kill him. And he’s really trying to paint it nicely, with the most usual and lamest excuses of all cheaters everywhere.

I’ve enjoyed reading your thoughts millenia & I’m sorry as I realise I didn’t express myself too well in the first place! We do seem to be more or less on the same page.
Smile

Good to have a partner for theorizing. And I’m at least presenting many ideas here that even contradict each other, so it’s no wonder if something gets miscommunicated.

Another long discussion would be the guilty pleasure and ethics about pretending to be someone else and prying confidential information from others. There are many places in the game where the player can behave rather horribly and/or silly. Several playthroughs work well with this one, one can try out all the stupid things like introducing yourself to Oscar as a shapeshifting detective or sleazeballing as Zak so that you get punched in the face.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

millenia - 12 April 2022 03:03 PM

Another long discussion would be the guilty pleasure and ethics about pretending to be someone else and prying confidential information from others. There are many places in the game where the player can behave rather horribly and/or silly. Several playthroughs work well with this one, one can try out all the stupid things like introducing yourself to Oscar as a shapeshifting detective or sleazeballing as Zak so that you get punched in the face.

My thought with this idea is that we are already doing that in this game as Sam & we as players are using him to do whatever we can get away with! I’ve found that I can shapeshift into various characters as anyone but quite often get a blank where the person’s not available to talk to so I think our investigations are limited to what the game developer’s limitations are? Laughing

But to get back to Sam - who or what is he? Who is Agent X? Any suggestions?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top