• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #71: The Shapeshifting Detective

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I took some time listening to the radio and I really enjoyed the show. When I went into my room, I got some low-key motion sickness from the camera. I braced myself and it wasn’t too bad, but it did take its time.

The game is good, visually, but I’m not a big fan of all of the effects and hard cuts.

The conversation/interview parts so far are great. A bit weird, effectively intriguing and I like the actors.

edit: almost at the stopping point. I think I have some idea what’s going on, but it could be a ploy.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It’s time people. You have until Tuesday, April 12th to reach:

22:00 - Judgement Day

When you see that appear on the screen, stop.

Of course, comments on what you think of the game are much appreciated.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1291

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hi!

We finally made it to “20:00 Dead Cert”. I will post comments later.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

walas74 - 05 April 2022 07:31 AM

Hi!

We finally made it to “20:00 Dead Cert”. I will post comments later.

Great, looking forward to reading them.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

If you need a walkthrough for the game, here is an excellent one:

https://www.walkthroughking.com/text/shapeshiftingdetective.aspx

Heart

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I think I’ll hold off using a walkthrough for now.

This game is really quite dark. Some of the stories on the radio genuinely got under my skin and the game’s main mechanic is unnerving.

I feel bad about manipulating Violet and I try to limit it where I can.

edit: Zak is a particularly unfortunate character. I don’t trust Monroe.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Tex Murphy’s on the radio!

edit: I’ve reached the stopping point. I think I caused some serious derailment in people’s lives.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I finished the game tonight. I was about to stop at the stopping point but last chapters didnt have gameplay, they were just cutscenes and 2 or 3 choices. I ll write my thoughts about the game when everyone finishes it. Its less than half an hour from 22:00 time anyway.

So what i have realised is that you could go through the game and miss like 90% of conversations if you dont shapeshift into people. If you shapeshift into everyone possible and talk to everyone possible chapters take about 45 min long. Otherwise if you only use sam it takes 5 min.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

It took a long time to get to 21:00 but then it took like 3 mins to get to 22:00. Luckily there is a chance to keep investigating, a lot of stuffed I would’ve missed.

I also finished the game already, because I though I might want to check out a second playthrough while we’re still discussing here. Also, the pace itself has been kind of slow for me. This isn’t a terribly long game, even when being thorough.

I wont comment about the ending yet, but there were some very shady reveals about the suspects in this section.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1291

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, we are still at 20:00 point. The game so far is very linear (complain from my wife, as Contradiction had some puzzles while investigating), but the production values and the work from the actors is very good!

As someone said, it is a dubious method to shapesshift into the suspects so we can obtain information, but well, the game is called The Shapeshifting Detective, right? It would be fun being able to meet a character we are impersonating haha!

I love Poe and Munro’s chemistry on the radio and I can’t wait to play their game.

I don’t trust Zak either.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

After temporarily falling behind I have now reached 22.00 Judgement Day.

To start with it felt as if the repetitiveness of the gameplay could get tedious & I also miss more interactive environments but the acting is excellent, the story compelling and as already mentioned moves pretty fast.

I like the idea of giving unwise responses & managed to get Sam as Bronwyn to have an unfortunate liaison with Oscar

So far I’m suspicious of Chief Dupont (why did he tell Violet he’d buried Hedges?), Poe (did he also ask Dorota to marry him?) and Ellis Munroe (did she think that Poe had asked Dorota to marry him?) - I don’t think it’s Zak, he’s only guilty of being a sleazeball!

As far as the `package’ of gameplay + story goes Contradiction, so far, is the better game in my mind but TSD may turn out to supersede it on the strength of its story.

So far I haven’t found the game to be creepy but I’m curious to know more about Birmingham, the Travellers and exactly what the tarot readers are up to

I’m also curious about what the graphics at the beginning of each chapter represent?

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

chrissie - 09 April 2022 05:03 AM

I’m also curious about what the graphics at the beginning of each chapter represent?

My associations were blood and mercury (both the metallic element and the planet).

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

It now looks like everyone is at the stopping point or beyond.

Let’s now play the game to the finish and please post your thoughts on the game, good or bad.

Heart

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Is anyone replaying the game after the ending?

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Yes, for me I I thought it was needed to try and get at least a little more from a game that left me so disappointed with a conclusion where a lot of the details of the story didn’t gel for me.

The review here gave the game 4 stars & I knock one of those off because if a game needs to be replayed to make more sense of the ‘plot’ then it should surely have a save anytime feature rather than having to replay from scratch. Okay, you can fast-track through but in my mind you should be able to replay the snippets you choose rather than having to do that.

For me the replay WAS worth it as it elevated my opinion of the game but I’ll post more about that in the next couple of days. 

Vegetable Party - 09 April 2022 06:20 AM
chrissie - 09 April 2022 05:03 AM

My associations were blood and mercury (both the metallic element and the planet).

Thanks for your reply on that VP. For me the mercury (planet) association especially made sense & I did glimpse, in my second playthrough, that static images of the graphics were on the back of the tarot cards.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top