• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure games scenes that calm you

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

2021 has been the year where I’ve taken back my mental health! One little thing that’s helped is revisiting adventure games with scenes that make me feel calm. This holiday season, I’m playing my favorite Christmastime game: Still Life (which I do every year around the holidays). I know, I know - how can a suspense-filled murder mystery calm me?

Well, it’s in an individual scene. Visiting Victoria’s dad’s house is always calming to me, especially the jacuzzi room. But the scenes where she’s just talking with her dad by the fireplace are calming too. Even when she enters - you see her put on slippers. So comfy.

So, tell me, adventure gamers - what adventure game scenes (or maybe adventure games altogether!) make you feel the most calm?

Total Posts: 4273

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I expect anyone who finds Still Life calming and relaxing (Christmas scenes notwithstanding) to thoroughly enjoy Harvester.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I like how Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers makes you feel safe as soon as Gabe returns back to his little bookshop, even if he was that close to being dead just a minute ago. It’s cozy, it’s quiet, there’s a tiny back room where Gabriel writes and sleeps, Grace is always sitting around doing something, a nice calm music plays in the background. Aaand then… But that’s a different story full of spoilers)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Playing Kentucky Road Zero was very relaxing for me.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I have a game that calms me every time I play it.  Simon the Sorcerer 1.  if I am depressed or anxious, that game with the birds and butterflies flying around, for some reason calms me and relaxes me. I have played it so many times that it is not a challenge, but for some reason it makes me feel better. In fact, if I tell my kids that I am playing that game, they know that I must be depressed!  Hollywood Monsters and Day of the Tentacle does that to a degree - but, nothing like old Simon!

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Good for you! Smile

I really enjoy wandering around the forest in the first Kyrandia game. I love the bright colours, but I think it’s music that really gets me.

One of my favourite places in an adventure game is Zanthia’s home in the second Kyrandia game, Hand of Fate. It’s a modest, organic looking building on stilts, in a swamp.

Total Posts: 5610

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I find the scene in Riven with the sunners on the rocks very soothing.  If I’m patient and approach them very slowly, I can get close without scaring them away. 

Lisssen also has some soothing parts because of the beautiful classical music.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

The view from the balcony in Blade Runner isn’t what I’d call pretty, but it’s still quite soothing:

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Quite iconic as well, I’m reminded of balconies in later games with a similar vibe: Murder, Blackwell Unbound, Virtuaverse..

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I also wanted to notice how those lonely balconies always feel safe and quite in adventure games. Even in The Cat Lady.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Just standing on Ray’s balcony in Blade Runner. The music is so relaxing

Edit: oops someone already mentioned it Smile

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Going back a ways, but any outdoors scene in the original MYST was relaxing. I have two friends that used the game to relax while undergoing serious medical procedures.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Building on what rtrooney said, the giant tree in Myst 3. The ultimate relaxation.

Also anywhere in a Carol Reed game somehow manages to relax me, even if it’s a dirty, graffiti-covered old building where someone was brutally murdered.

Total Posts: 4273

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The scene where you get the Rubber Hose of Purity in Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life; I got so relaxed there that I almost fell asleep.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 282

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Oh yes, calming myself is one of the reasons I replay some adventure games despite their many faults. The seaside environments in Nancy Drew Danger on Deception Island work everytime, as well as several other games in the series (I feel relaxed walking through town in Alibi in Ashes and Secret of the Old Clock, which makes them my most often played games even though they’re objectively not very good). I also tend to feel good in Sherlock Holme’s appartment, no matter the game. And most of the scenes in Monkey Island 2 and 3, Broken Sword 1 (especially in Paris), and Day of Tentacle make me feel safe, if I’m feeling fragile. But it’s really Hercule Poirot Evil Under the Sun which takes the cake. There is some soothing vibe about the hotel and the island altogether.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top