• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The adventures of bryan scott demo

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I just beat this demo and it stars Rolf Saxon aka the voice of George Stobbart from broken sword. This game was a straight up ripoff, aka the wish version of broken sword. Or like a vhs sequel to a popular disney movie. Animations were not good at all, the puzzles in the demo were bland and Rolf was literally playing george stobbart, same exact voice and mannerisms. I feel like this could be a lawsuit waiting to happen. Here is the link for those that want to try the demo.

https://radio-silence-studios.itch.io/the-adventures-of-bryan-scott?secret=Vzl1AcZTNADJBHrsgHs0vPB9W0&fbclid=IwAR3DL7nQbXFKK0tti9q8-XoTdkk7MLxVjS18EVRIOer7P4O6vtsWCb8lb1A

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

I just finished the demo as well.
Thanks for sharing the link!

I agree with you, but not entirely Smile

The game really does copy a lot of Broken Sword elements, like the interface is a complete copy-and-paste. Which is not that bad, I get it, they are big fans of BS, so am I, but I’d rather prefer something more original. There are a lot of references in the game for BS. But it actually doesn’t give you that bad of a ripoff feeling. It left me rather with a positive taste, though I would have expected it to be more Scott-original.

B.Scott is indeed voiced by George Stobbart, I mean Rolf Saxon, but Rolf does a pretty good job and gives you a rather different feeling than G.Stobbart. And the design, the look of the character is very distinguishable, so I had to force myself hard to pretend I’m playing as Mr. Stobbart.
I think that part of the game was pretty good. Worked least for me.
Rolf does have a very recognizable voice, lets not make a mistake about that Smile

Animations, yeah, sorry for my blunt honesty, but they sucked. Maybe because I would have expected more than a mediocre quality? Hopefully full version has improvements.

The puzzles were a bit boring, though I liked the hidden corner.  Generally not that bad, but it was also a very short demo.

One thing that annoyed me the most, was the voice of Uncle Henry! In my mind I was expecting an old guy, but that guy sounded more like a teenager. So I hope, if this Uncle Henry is older than Bryan and plays a big role in the full game, they will replace his voice with someone more mature and experienced.

I give 3,5 out of 5 - which is good!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabriel Cash - 15 February 2023 08:20 PM

I just finished the demo as well.
Thanks for sharing the link!

I agree with you, but not entirely Smile

The game really does copy a lot of Broken Sword elements, like the interface is a complete copy-and-paste. Which is not that bad, I get it, they are big fans of BS, so am I, but I’d rather prefer something more original. There are a lot of references in the game for BS. But it actually doesn’t give you that bad of a ripoff feeling. It left me rather with a positive taste, though I would have expected it to be more Scott-original.

B.Scott is indeed voiced by George Stobbart, I mean Rolf Saxon, but Rolf does a pretty good job and gives you a rather different feeling than G.Stobbart. And the design, the look of the character is very distinguishable, so I had to force myself hard to pretend I’m playing as Mr. Stobbart.
I think that part of the game was pretty good. Worked least for me.
Rolf does have a very recognizable voice, lets not make a mistake about that Smile

Animations, yeah, sorry for my blunt honesty, but they sucked. Maybe because I would have expected more than a mediocre quality? Hopefully full version has improvements.

The puzzles were a bit boring, though I liked the hidden corner.  Generally not that bad, but it was also a very short demo.

One thing that annoyed me the most, was the voice of Uncle Henry! In my mind I was expecting an old guy, but that guy sounded more like a teenager. So I hope, if this Uncle Henry is older than Bryan and plays a big role in the full game, they will replace his voice with someone more mature and experienced.

I give 3,5 out of 5 - which is good!

Yeah it was a 2/5 for me, from the broken sword poster on the wall, to george oops i mean bryan talking about a killer clown. It was a straight up rip off. I can already see the semi romamce angle with not Nico lol. Rolf was literally playing george, same sarcasm to his same exact vocal tone. I agree look wise though, the character of bryan looks nothing like george, he looks to be 40 to 50, but still gets his mom to do his laundry lol what? I know it was just a demo but the puzzles were bland and the bad guy was awful, especially his voice acting.

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 February 2023 09:00 PM

I can already see the semi romamce angle with not Nico lol.

Grin

...he looks to be 40 to 50, but still gets his mom to do his laundry lol what?

Must be the new age of masculinity

...bad guy was awful, especially his voice acting.

Agree on that. A bit cheesy. From the marketing the whole Bryan Scott theme looks actually good and high quality, at least I’d expect well-made voice-overs, which IMHO Rolf did a good job, but the rest? ...The demo didn’t deliver it.

But, they are just starting their Kickstarter so, they must have a lot still to do.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabriel Cash - 15 February 2023 09:46 PM

I can already see the semi romamce angle with not Nico lol.

Grin

...he looks to be 40 to 50, but still gets his mom to do his laundry lol what?

Must be the new age of masculinity

...bad guy was awful, especially his voice acting.

Agree on that. A bit cheesy. From the marketing the whole Bryan Scott theme looks actually good and high quality, at least I’d expect well-made voice-overs, which IMHO Rolf did a good job, but the rest? ...The demo didn’t deliver it.

But, they are just starting their Kickstarter so, they must have a lot still to do.

What? Remixing the broken sword stories cant be that time consuming. More poor animation of characters not actually picking things up? I know actors need money and work, but rolf should be embarrassed for taking this role. I will stop, but this just screams bankrupt nostalgia money grab to me.

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

Jdawg445 - 15 February 2023 09:55 PM

What? Remixing the broken sword stories cant be that time consuming. More poor animation of characters not actually picking things up? I know actors need money and work, but rolf should be embarrassed for taking this role.

I don’t know anything about the story yet, though the direction it seems to take does sound like a typical Uncharted episode, but I don’t want to rush too much ahead and be a judge, because what I saw was really little.
Animations do look like a typical modern-day mediocre 5 frames in a second achievement, but tell me what game doesn’t do that these days? I’ve never seen fully satisfied animations in almost any game.
Of course, I agree, if you copy the original Broken Sword in that extent, or want to reach the same level, then why would you leave animations behind, right?

I will stop, but this just screams bankrupt nostalgia money grab to me.

That’s what a lot of people would say. We have to be careful because we are talking about indie developers here. I know making a game is not easy, and especially a good one. I totally believe that these guys are passionate and they want to make a good game. I don’t doubt in indie developers almost never. But it’s true most of them also never succeed with their first game. But I wouldn’t be too critical about them.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabriel Cash - 16 February 2023 08:41 AM

What? Remixing the broken sword stories cant be that time consuming. More poor animation of characters not actually picking things up? I know actors need money and work, but rolf should be embarrassed for taking this role.

I don’t know anything about the story yet, though the direction it seems to take does sound like a typical Uncharted episode, but I don’t want to rush too much ahead and be a judge, because what I saw was really little.
Animations do look like a typical modern-day mediocre 5 frames in a second achievement, but tell me what game doesn’t do that these days? I’ve never seen fully satisfied animations in almost any game.
Of course, I agree, if you copy the original Broken Sword in that extent, or want to reach the same level, then why would you leave animations behind, right?

I will stop, but this just screams bankrupt nostalgia money grab to me.

That’s what a lot of people would say. We have to be careful because we are talking about indie developers here. I know making a game is not easy, and especially a good one. I totally believe that these guys are passionate and they want to make a good game. I don’t doubt in indie developers almost never. But it’s true most of them also never succeed with their first game. But I wouldn’t be too critical about them.

Well I am consistent on this point. I don’t care if it’s EA, Ubisoft, or a two man team in Germany. a bad game is a bad game. I also think we got to stop giving benefit of the doubt to indy devs, when a lot of them have no clue of what they’re doing, yet they are expecting people to pay their hard-earned money for a game or pony up for a kickstarter, for a glorified first attempt. They either make a blatant rip off, which based on the demo this seems to be, or they use other Buzz words like inspired by the Classics of Gabriel Knight and broken sword, when the games they’re making have nothing much in common with them like a saint kotar.

As far as animation goes there’s also a lot of indie games that have beautiful animation, like gibbous. even though I think the game itself was not very well made, as far as story and Puzzles go the animation was gorgeous. I have not played the full game yet but the demo of owlsguard definitely has beautiful animation in it as well. Old Skies, Dave Gilbert’s new game, also looks like it has very robust animation in it. In the same genre, the two Hand of Glory games also have better animation. I’m just saying on a technical level if you’re asking people to give you money to finish a game, you should at least have one whole scene where everything looks polished and this demo looks like it was made by people who have no idea what they’re doing from a creative standpoint, or from a technical standpoint.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jdawg445 - 16 February 2023 08:50 AM

Well I am consistent on this point. I don’t care if it’s EA, Ubisoft, or a two man team in Germany. a bad game is a bad game. I also think we got to stop giving benefit of the doubt to indy devs, when a lot of them have no clue of what they’re doing, yet they are expecting people to pay their hard-earned money for a game or pony up for a kickstarter, for a glorified first attempt.

Yeah, the irony is that indie developers often have great ideas and visions, but no resources to make the game, and often no management capabilities to keep things running on schedule and withing budget.

Big game companies can handle resources and schedules, but often have zero interest in creativity, and are selling endless stream of DLCs and so on.

From the gamer’s point of view, in the end it’s a binary choice:
Is it a good game, yes or no.

They either make a blatant rip off, which based on the demo this seems to be, or they use other Buzz words like inspired by the Classics of Gabriel Knight and broken sword, when the games they’re making have nothing much in common with them like a saint kotar.

I don’t remember who anymore, but someone had a great Kickstarter video where he listed a long list of famous adventure games, and then said he has nothing to do with those games!
Tongue

Anyway, I think you can see things from two different perspectives.
If someone says the game going to be inspired by Monkey Island, you at least get an overview of that developer’s thinking in very few words. On the other hand, if you want Monkey Island, then you can play Monkey Island and forget those copycat games.

I recently played few Max Payne clones, and none of them was comparable to the original thing, neither in story-telling or in gameplay mechanics.

It’s understandable in the adventure genre though that people keep referring to other games. That’s how the entire genre got its name, after all.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

GateKeeper - 16 February 2023 10:19 AM

Well I am consistent on this point. I don’t care if it’s EA, Ubisoft, or a two man team in Germany. a bad game is a bad game. I also think we got to stop giving benefit of the doubt to indy devs, when a lot of them have no clue of what they’re doing, yet they are expecting people to pay their hard-earned money for a game or pony up for a kickstarter, for a glorified first attempt.

Yeah, the irony is that indie developers often have great ideas and visions, but no resources to make the game, and often no management capabilities to keep things running on schedule and withing budget.

Big game companies can handle resources and schedules, but often have zero interest in creativity, and are selling endless stream of DLCs and so on.

From the gamer’s point of view, in the end it’s a binary choice:
Is it a good game, yes or no.

They either make a blatant rip off, which based on the demo this seems to be, or they use other Buzz words like inspired by the Classics of Gabriel Knight and broken sword, when the games they’re making have nothing much in common with them like a saint kotar.

I don’t remember who anymore, but someone had a great Kickstarter video where he listed a long list of famous adventure games, and then said he has nothing to do with those games!
Tongue

Anyway, I think you can see things from two different perspectives.
If someone says the game going to be inspired by Monkey Island, you at least get an overview of that developer’s thinking in very few words. On the other hand, if you want Monkey Island, then you can play Monkey Island and forget those copycat games.

I recently played few Max Payne clones, and none of them was comparable to the original thing, neither in story-telling or in gameplay mechanics.

It’s understandable in the adventure genre though that people keep referring to other games. That’s how the entire genre got its name, after all.

For the record I have no problem with a dev saying their game is inspired by Monkey Island or broken sword etc… but make sure it is different enough from them, to not be a copycat.  also make sure your game is actually like the other games you are describing. Just because a game has a little bit of voodoo and a murder doesn’t mean it’s like Gabriel Knight lol. if the game design and puzzles are either non-existent, or it’s a walking simulator then it’s not really like the Gabriel Knight game. Because especially in the adventure game genre I feel like a lot of devs, remember the story and nothing else of what made a game popular in the first place aka the gameplay.

I agree and disagree with you on indie developers, no doubt there’s many developers who really want to try to push the envelope and fail. Take for instance crowns and pawns Kingdom of Deceit, it is a broken sword clone to a degree but it does try some new game mechanics. they fail at 80% of them, but I will give props for at least trying. But from this demo this seems to be almost a ripoff of broken sword. I don’t know if you tried the demo yet, but I’d be curious to see what you think.

I think we have talked about this before but the irony is most game devs need Publishers. Tim Schafer with his over bloated Adventure game Broken Age and once again Chris Roberts with the never to be released Star Citizen prove this. Both needed a publisher such as EA or Ubisoft to tell them no we’re not going to keep going down this path of madness. Even somebody like kojima, he was bankrupting Konami with his long delayed Metal Gear Solid 5, which is why they had to release a tech demo as a partial game which was ground zeros. Also the reason why his partnership with Sony ended very quickly after death stranding.

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

Well I am consistent on this point. I don’t care if it’s EA, Ubisoft, or a two man team in Germany. a bad game is a bad game. I also think we got to stop giving benefit of the doubt to indy devs, when a lot of them have no clue of what they’re doing, yet they are expecting people to pay their hard-earned money for a game or pony up for a kickstarter, for a glorified first attempt. They either make a blatant rip off, which based on the demo this seems to be, or they use other Buzz words like inspired by the Classics of Gabriel Knight and broken sword, when the games they’re making have nothing much in common with them like a saint kotar.

As far as animation goes there’s also a lot of indie games that have beautiful animation, like gibbous. even though I think the game itself was not very well made, as far as story and Puzzles go the animation was gorgeous. I have not played the full game yet but the demo of owlsguard definitely has beautiful animation in it as well. Old Skies, Dave Gilbert’s new game, also looks like it has very robust animation in it. In the same genre, the two Hand of Glory games also have better animation. I’m just saying on a technical level if you’re asking people to give you money to finish a game, you should at least have one whole scene where everything looks polished and this demo looks like it was made by people who have no idea what they’re doing from a creative standpoint, or from a technical standpoint.

I do agree with you for the most part, not arguing with your opinion at all, a bad game is a bad game, but if you expect the same level of quality from a 2-person indie studio as from big tech corps like Ubisoft, then, I think you gonna be disappointed very often.
But as I mentioned earlier, even I had high expectations for this game. Though still I’m looking forward to the full version.

Old and experienced players have one problem though, their needs are harder to satisfy. Wink
Which is ironic, because the whole essence or point of an adventure is have no expectations. There are no rules to define adventure.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Gabriel Cash - 16 February 2023 08:55 PM

I do agree with you for the most part, not arguing with your opinion at all, a bad game is a bad game, but if you expect the same level of quality from a 2-person indie studio as from big tech corps like Ubisoft, then, I think you gonna be disappointed very often.
But as I mentioned earlier, even I had high expectations for this game. Though still I’m looking forward to the full version.

Old and experienced players have one problem though, their needs are harder to satisfy. Wink
Which is ironic, because the whole essence or point of an adventure is have no expectations. There are no rules to define adventure.

Well no I’m not expecting a 100 million-dollar budgeted game like a Horizons Zero Dawn, but I am expecting animations to be completed and some original design ideas. One of my favorite games in the last 10 or 15 years is
technobabylon and that’s about as far from AAA game as you can get.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

GateKeeper - 16 February 2023 10:19 AM

There is another thread where people were discussing why they contribute to Kickstarter, as well as why they don’t. I am one of the latter. And your one sentence describes exactly why I no longer participate in Kickstarter ventures. Perhaps if the indie developers were required to submit a “curriculum vitae” that illustrates the ability to manage complex projects in addition to a story narrative and a few background screens, I might be tempted to get back in the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@Jdawg445 and @GabrielCash

You do know that it’s possible to selectively quote specific relevant portions of a prior post? Quoting an entire post just to comment on part of it diminishes the reader’s interest. Just a suggestion. Learn to use Notepad.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top