• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Say something about the adventure game in the post above.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Doom - 01 September 2022 08:56 PM

Say Something about

I bought the trilogy years ago & never really got around to playing it until last year? - I know it was after it not winning the CPT vote.

I wasn’t sure about the very stylized depictions of the characters but it didn’t really matter after I started playing as they & the story completely hooked me. It was a game I found well worth playing!

Say something about Daemonica: :

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

chrissie - 02 September 2022 09:15 AM

Say something about Daemonica: :

I think at this point it’s obvious that people have absolutely nothing to say about that game.  Laughing

So let’s try the next one then.
Does anyone have anything to say about The Detective Game which was in many ways ahead of its time?

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Daemonica is a game I frequently confuse with that ellipsoidal action/adventure game from the mid 90’s with the really dark themes. I can’t think of the real name right now because I’m thinking it’s called Daemonica.

From the graphics to the box description, The Detective (which I had not previously heard of) seems like a significant precursor to Laura Bow and the Colonel’s Bequest, which came out 2-3 years later. Have you played The Detective, Gatecreeper? How similar are they?
I really like the graphics, too. A lot of personality is expressed with just a little technology.

Okay, someone say something about…

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Baron_Blubba - 11 October 2022 01:28 PM

Daemonica is a game I frequently confuse with that ellipsoidal action/adventure game from the mid 90’s with the really dark themes. I can’t think of the real name right now because I’m thinking it’s called Daemonica.

You don’t mean The Immortal do you? That’s the game that comes to mind for me with those screens. I like this graphics style a lot.

Okay, someone say something about…

I remember buying the game cheap thinking I had nothing else to play and that I’d give it a go because the developer seemed desperate for people to play it, or so I thought. That and the price probably influenced my opinion of it a lot because for most of the game I kept looking for faults and reasons not to like it, only to find by the end that I’d rather enjoyed it! It’s interesting how when something’s cheap we don’t expect to enjoy it much when it really has little relevance. OTOH I’m now playing Psychonauts 2 sold for a ridiculous $99.95 and not enjoying it much at all.

I don’t remember too many details about Neofeud only that it was a solid story with some interesting themes. And I’m looking forward to the sequel.

Next game:

AKA Charo

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

The ellipsoid game I was thinking of was Escstatica. Even has a similar name to Daemonica, so that explains it.
I have played the Immortal, briefly. I think it was on Switch online or one of those Genesis mini consoles or classics collections.

Last Half of Darkness!
I didn’t know this was a modern game. The name rang a bell, and then I became confused when I saw those 3d graphics. I remember Last Half of Darkness as a piece of shareware that came on all of those “600 GAMES ON ONE DISC!” compilations you could buy for $5-10 at office supply stores everywhere back in the early days of CD-rom, or spend 6 hours downloading off of Compuserve.

Apparently, these new ones are part of the same series. I wonder if they are designed or published by the same people. They’d have to be ancient by now. Anyway, I always thought that was a really nice ominous phrase, Last Half of Darkness. Triggered my young imagination…what kind of dark esoteric experience could game could this game possibly be?
I don’t think I ever made it far enough to find out.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Say something about…

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

From the graphics to the box description, The Detective (which I had not previously heard of) seems like a significant precursor to Laura Bow and the Colonel’s Bequest, which came out 2-3 years later. Have you played The Detective, Gatecreeper? How similar are they?

When did I become so creepy?  Gasp

Anyway, yes, I have played it. Quite a lot, actually.
It really was ahead of its time, and mostly forgotten by history, which is a pity.

But it was point-and-click, sort of, before LucasFilm/Arts had made any adventure games at all, for those who claim that they invented such things.  Smile

The gameworld even had some very basic simulation aspects, such as the game characters moving around, locking and unlocking doors, as if they were living their own lives. And this happened 15 years before Shenmue, for instance, which is famous for NPCs independent daily routines.

There is even an unofficial remake of the game, but strangely enough, only for Nintendo DS of all possible platforms.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/detective_

The Colonel’s Bequest has certain similar vibes, sure. And to correct your guess a bit, The Detective Game was released five years before it. Those who like The Colonel’s Bequest, might also like The Detective Game, with the obvious footnote warning, that it is a Commodore 64 game, so you can’t save the game at all, for instance, unless you use some emulator and save states.

I wrote a review about it few years ago, and it’s still available, if anyone’s interested.

https://adventuredoor.net/reviews/detective-game/

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

GateKeeper - 12 October 2022 05:54 PM

When did I become so creepy?  Gasp

Sorry, I was confusing you with these guys.

I’ll check out your review a bit later, thanks for all the info.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

GateKeeper - 12 October 2022 05:54 PM

The Colonel’s Bequest has certain similar vibes, sure. And to correct your guess a bit, The Detective Game was released five years before it.

Actually, after double checking the release dates, your numbers were probably correct.
It’s confusing with old Sierra games, when one version was released one year, and some other version some other year.

So the very first version seems to be 1989, but whatever version we are talking about, The Detective Game was clearly years before, which I think was the point.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2019-08-12

PM

Baron_Blubba - 12 October 2022 03:41 PM

Say something about…

I had no idea what that game is, no review on AG site.
So I had to look it up and read about it.
Released in 1996 by Australian studio. Looks like the game is nonlinear, having nine possible endings featuring over thirty fully acted and voiced characters to interact with and over one hour of fully performed cinematics. Looks interesting.
Available on Steam, with the release date 2019 Smile
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1006440/The_Dame_Was_Loaded/

——

Say something about…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top