• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Retro game reviews

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

CaliMonk - 02 May 2022 06:57 AM

Just for clarity sake, these reviews were already ready to go before I took on this role. Irrespective of that, I’m not Jack nor will I ever become him, I have my own perspective on things. Different styles, each unique and with its own set of pro/cons. These reviews coincidentally weren’t a result of my different thinking.

Ivo

I wasn’t trying to belittle you CaliMonk, I guess you know that! I know the site is still holding on much bc of you, I just care about it, maybe I need to relax; you are handling it perfectly. cant say sorry (again) twice in one row Laughing Cool

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Looking into things, I believe this is a better way to represent Flashback Reviews

Image Attachments

Screenshot_2022-05-02_at_13.41_.03_.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

that’s neat, i only think the word ‘Determine’ is too much on the nail’s head, I wouldn’t tell what can replace by any means, but that is what I think

Total Posts: 1793

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I’d agree with Advie there Calimonk. May I be so bold as to suggest:

Flashback reviews are evaluations to see if games of the past have held up well enough for players to enjoy playing today given the limitations of the available technology on initial release. They are not intended to represent the verdict on when the game was released.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think what Jabod wrote would be a very good way to give a proper perspective to the people who read those retro reviews.

Total Posts: 487

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Sounds great to me too! (CaliMonk + Jarod)

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Jabod - 02 May 2022 09:49 AM

I’d agree with Advie there Calimonk. May I be so bold as to suggest:

Flashback reviews are evaluations to see if games of the past have held up well enough for players to enjoy playing today given the limitations of the available technology on initial release. They are not intended to represent the verdict on when the game was released.

Great suggestion, I’ve amended things. We’re exploring potentially having a way to rate old games as such differently, while still making it clear to readers that the rating doesn’t represent the experience if they’d play it nowadays.

For instance, we’d rate this game a 3.5 if we would have evaluated it with the ‘back then’ hat on. If we’d rate it 3.5 now normally, readers would be thrown off, hence why it’s an interesting dilema. I’ll leave it unrated for now and will think about alternative methods for the future.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think this is a very good way to handle a review of such an old game as these are. While they might have been groundbreaking back in the day, time certainly hasn’t been very kind to them and it would be hard to genuinely recommend them for any other reason than a historical curiosity.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

my words betray me, so to make them clear, I will ask you Calimonk in addition (to what you said) look at the old highly rated adventure games here, like Police Quest 2: The Vengeance, and wonder if you put your ‘back-then hat’ on, is there any way or chance you could give them the same rating, today. but anyways, I rest my case.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I agree with both Cali and Tomimt in that the reviews should appear unrated until a meaningful rating system can be developed that both is relevant to the time the game was created AND to today’s gamers who may not have been born when these antiquities were being programmed. Hard to imagine that a gamer born when Dark Chrystal was released is now just short of 40-years old.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top