• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Moebius

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I was just thinking about this… I have criticized TSL and POS very harshly in the past. Sometimes, after watching videos of the team or seeing them pop up in the same thread, I feel very guilty for being so harsh. Makes my heart sink. Sometimes I feel like getting one’s point across and heard by people and making an impact on such forums requires a very strident tone, but it is never my wish to discourage anyone. On a personal level, I really admire anyone for putting out their creative work like this to be judged by often unforgiving players and then facing them in the forums. As someone with a shared passion for these games, I also wish all these adventure game developers great success.

That said, I think Moebius is showing tremendous improvement over the team’s previous releases. Is definitely one I’m looking forward to. And I can only imagine how much better they’ll be in the future.

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Quest1 - 04 April 2013 06:17 AM

I was just thinking about this… I have criticized TSL and POS very harshly in the past. Sometimes, after watching videos of the team or seeing them pop up in the same thread, I feel very guilty for being so harsh. Makes my heart sink. Sometimes I feel like getting one’s point across and heard by people and making an impact on such forums requires a very strident tone, but it is never my wish to discourage anyone. On a personal level, I really admire anyone for putting out their creative work like this to be judged by often unforgiving players and then facing them in the forums. As someone with a shared passion for these games, I also wish all these adventure game developers great success.

That said, I think Moebius is showing tremendous improvement over the team’s previous releases. Is definitely one I’m looking forward to. And I can only imagine how much better they’ll be in the future.

Quite a turnaround from previously, Quest1, but credit to you for being able to do so. I too hope they’ll continue to improve - sounds like TSL had major flaws, Cognition is good but definite weakness with story & dialogue. If they continue on the upward curve, things could look very positive for the future for them…and us Laughing

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thank you, Quest1, we really appreciate that. Smile

Here and on other forums we pop into, as well as our own of course, we’re always open to hearing constructive criticism that can help us get better at what we do. Not everyone’s going to love our games—it’s no perfect, we know that, and we always want to improve if we can!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

J.H - 03 April 2013 06:25 PM

It’s like a Ken doll had a run in with the Illuminati.

Generic model like in Singles, Sims or some NPC from any game out there, the writing
is on the wall and i don’t know how one can inject sense and talent through feedback.
We are talking about intangible elements here and the aesthetic sense, animations,
design are all generic. Maybe writing will help it, the only constructive thing
i can point out is to redo animations and stylize the art , to match atleast like that of Graymatter.

Sam in Graymatter, April , Zoe etc. all have some fashion sense and style statement, however if you put rector among these,

he would not stand out

EDIT: Found Rector lookalike, on left in green check shirt with hat

Total Posts: 1352

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

In my opinion the graphics don’t look great and on one hand I might hope for better, but on the whole I don’t care because this will be a Jane Jensen game and what I want from her are story, writing, depth of research/game world and characters.

Even if graphics etc. (please note the conditional) are only mediocre it won’t be enough to ruin it for me if Jane’s strengths come through.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

This really fits with the discussion of 2D vs. 3D graphics going on in another thread.  If the game PLAYS like a 2D game—i.e. with fixed camera angles and point and click gameplay, there is no reason beyond the cheaper cost (which makes sense here, given the budget) to do characters in 3D.  In my opinion, it’s indefensible as an aesthetic choice, because there is almost no situation where high quality 2D animation wouldn’t look better, when interacting with 2D backgrounds.  But it’s a lot cheaper to animate 3D characters, which only have to be modeled and then can be moved and manipulated in a variety of ways during the animation process, instead of having to hand-paint individual frame-by-frame animations.

So it’s a matter of cost, really.  Unfortunately though, from an aesthetic standpoint, it sticks out like a sore thumb and really starts to feel like a blemish on an otherwise good product. But again—the question is, where do you draw the line between quality and cost-effectiveness?

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lambonius - 04 April 2013 12:15 PM

So it’s a matter of cost, really.  Unfortunately though, from an aesthetic standpoint, it sticks out like a sore thumb and really starts to feel like a blemish on an otherwise good product.

That’s why cel-shading can turn the cheaper 3D option into something that IS aesthetically pleasing. If done well, of course…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

TimovieMan - 04 April 2013 12:38 PM

So it’s a matter of cost, really.  Unfortunately though, from an aesthetic standpoint, it sticks out like a sore thumb and really starts to feel like a blemish on an otherwise good product.

That’s why cel-shading can turn the cheaper 3D option into something that IS aesthetically pleasing. If done well, of course…

I think people throw the term “cell-shading” out there without really knowing what it means.  I’m not saying you are doing that, mind you.  Just that I see a lot of people call certain types of 3D design “cell-shaded” when it’s actually nothing of the sort.  Moebius doesn’t look cell shaded to me.  Or maybe I’m misunderstanding what the term refers to.  When I hear that term, I think of the aesthetic of the characters in a game like Wind-Waker.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It doesn’t have to be 3D does it? The Runaway games were cel-shaded. At least according to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cel-shaded_video_games

Ironically Runaway is the prettiest cel-shaded game I can think of, even though I think it’s dog-ugly at times. I don’t like the style at all.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Zifnab - 04 April 2013 01:55 PM

It doesn’t have to be 3D does it? The Runaway games were cel-shaded. At least according to this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cel-shaded_video_games

Ironically Runaway is the prettiest cel-shaded game I can think of, even though I think it’s dog-ugly at times. I don’t like the style at all.

The character models in Runaway, just like in all other Pendulo games as well, are in 3D and they’re rendered with cel shading. The backgrounds are regular 2D.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Huh. I must not be up to date with my dimensions. I don’t see how it looks much different from Broken Sword 1, but yeah, okay.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

This really fits with the discussion of 2D vs. 3D graphics going on in another thread.  If the game PLAYS like a 2D game—i.e. with fixed camera angles and point and click gameplay, there is no reason beyond the cheaper cost (which makes sense here, given the budget) to do characters in 3D.

I think you’re underestimating the importance of dynamic cameras. Even if the camera angles are fixed during navigation (meaning the player can’t manipulate the camera angle while walking around and exploring), having the ability to show a scene from different angles, and to use camera cuts and close-ups, is invaluable for cutscenes and dialogue sequences. Dialogues that take place between two characters who are just standing there talking back and forth at each other can be incredibly boring. And Jane’s games have a lot of dialogue, so the ability to present dialogues in a more cinematic way is an important consideration. (That was one of my complaints about Gray Matter, actually.)

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

fov - 04 April 2013 04:10 PM

This really fits with the discussion of 2D vs. 3D graphics going on in another thread.  If the game PLAYS like a 2D game—i.e. with fixed camera angles and point and click gameplay, there is no reason beyond the cheaper cost (which makes sense here, given the budget) to do characters in 3D.

I think you’re underestimating the importance of dynamic cameras. Even if the camera angles are fixed during navigation (meaning the player can’t manipulate the camera angle while walking around and exploring), having the ability to show a scene from different angles, and to use camera cuts and close-ups, is invaluable for cutscenes and dialogue sequences. Dialogues that take place between two characters who are just standing there talking back and forth at each other can be incredibly boring. And Jane’s games have a lot of dialogue, so the ability to present dialogues in a more cinematic way is an important consideration. (That was one of my complaints about Gray Matter, actually.)

Nah, you’re right.  With games like The Walking Dead that are in full 3D environments, the cinematic dynamic camera is a boon.  I was thinking more about 3D characters against 2D backgrounds.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

fov - 04 April 2013 04:10 PM

Dialogues that take place between two characters who are just standing there talking back and forth at each other can be incredibly boring.

Can be, yes, but doesn’t that depend on the dialogue? Remember how the Lucasarts guys and Jensen used to give us some intriguing dialogues which were just a few pixels talking at each other? I’d rather developers focus on doing that than giving us 360-degree rotating cameras seeing every pixel of the characters’ heads and inside their vocal cords while they’re talking.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I’m playing the alpha demo right now and am really enjoying this game.  I too noticed that the jacket didn’t seem to fit right and the teeth looked a little funny, but, who cares?  It is the story and puzzles that will keep me playing. I rather like his accent and voice.  The hardest thing for me was to figure out how to use the inventory.  I wish that would be a little easier to figure out.  But, great game, so far!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top