• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The hand of glory (a broken sword inspired game)

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I sure will and a couple more quick thoughts, first on the art style and character design, I think yall need to be more consistent on design, some characters look very normal like alice and the doctor that helps you, and some have very exaggerated features like lars and the mom/son bad guy team aka more in the style of monkey island 3. It seems like two different games sometimes, and that goes to tone for the story as well. 80 percent of the time the game is presented more in a comedy vein, but that other 20 percent is treated deadly serious and it clashes with each other at least for me. For the record I thought the ending was epic and wish the art design and tone was like that throughout the game with a splash of comedy here or there. Back to art, I wish the background art was more colorful and varied as far as color range (all seemed kind of muted), maybe that is bc I just beat lost horizon which had amazing background art, but here its all a little muddled together. I also wish alice had a couple more screens in Rome, bc all we see is the professors house.

I love the chemistry between lars and alice and wish we got more of it, so we could of seen it grow more on screen. You created some great characters, I just dont think the plot holds up to them honestly, and sometimes they do things out of left field for examples Olive wants you to get a flower for a girl he likes, but as soon as he sees the helicopter of tekla he is like forget it, as a player that is whiplash, and the payoff for the reason why his attitude changes never makes sense. Its like he and her had some tension but it is never explained. Back to the priest, he is being controlled by the bad guys, but none of them ever think to get him to look for a piece of the scroll around town or in his church, or if they did it was never said. To me it makes the bad guys look dumb.

For some more positives Even though I wish the tone was more serious, the confessional booth scene was written and voice acted perfectly, I actually chuckled. And like I said your puzzle design is pretty dang top notch, Other Indie devs need to take note. I only had one or 2 instances of try everything on anything to get past something, Most of the clues were sign posted very well.

Now you might have done one too many qte events, they dont bother me at all, but I know a lot of adventure game fans hate them.

Also for your next game, I would keep it as one release, bc some of my story problems might have been solved to an extent if there were not months in between the release of both parts, plus and this is just me I loathe the episodic game structure usually.

Last thing the game is quite long, steam said I played for 14.5 hours, so very good bang for your buck.

If it seems Im being over critical, it is bc this is a good game that could have been great with some adjustments. I was thinking about my score and I need to raise it to at least a 7/10 bc I blew through the 2nd part in two sittings, so it kept me engaged throughout. I cant wait to see what yall do next.

Total Posts: 42

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Jdawg445 - 07 December 2020 08:49 AM

I sure will and a couple more quick thoughts[...]

Wow, super review here!

No, you don’t sound over critical, you just expressed your opinion in a detailed and constructive way. This doesn’t mean that I agree with everything you have said, but there are some good advices in there!

Always keep in mind that this is my first game, and I really (I mean it!) appreciate such constructive feedback. I’ll use it to improve my future projects!

Thanks again Laughing

The Hand of Glory is out!
Currently developing Roots in the Sky - The Hand of Glory 2!

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I rarely get this stuck in games… I hate using walkthroughs so this may be it for me with this one. Is the first couple of hours of this game, especially the puzzle design, representative for the rest? Does the tone in general get more serious (which I think would fit the story better)?

For the record, I’m stuck trying to retrieve two items remaining in order to complete a task given to me by a chef… I’m tired of trying everything on everything and annoyed that items that logically should work don’t, without proper explanation.

For the record II: I kind of enjoyed the game up ‘til this point. There is definitely things to like here, even though I don’t always buy the logic of the writing or puzzles. I’ll probably give it a try again tomorrow.Smile

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2020-12-09

PM

I instantly fell in love with Matthew Curtis acting and he can do EVERYTHING with his voice. He was perfect for Lars, who is very weird and constantly changes his tone. I will talk more about Lars in the future, but I have to say I’m satisfied with him.

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Veovis - 13 December 2020 05:10 PM

I rarely get this stuck in games… I hate using walkthroughs so this may be it for me with this one. Is the first couple of hours of this game, especially the puzzle design, representative for the rest? Does the tone in general get more serious (which I think would fit the story better)?

For the record, I’m stuck trying to retrieve two items remaining in order to complete a task given to me by a chef… I’m tired of trying everything on everything and annoyed that items that logically should work don’t, without proper explanation.

For the record II: I kind of enjoyed the game up ‘til this point. There is definitely things to like here, even though I don’t always buy the logic of the writing or puzzles. I’ll probably give it a try again tomorrow.Smile

Well, I can give you my vision of the game, but keep in mind I’m the author!
I think the tone of the game gets more serious the more you proceed with the story, in particular AFTER the section you’re playing right now. This doesn’t mean there won’t be funny moments, because we didn’t want to write a game that was too serious or heavy.

About being stucked: if you want a hint just tell me and I’ll point you to the right direction 😌

Total Posts: 1605

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I remember this section as being a little annoying myself. I also agree with the tone inconsistencies, you got some bad guys straight out of a serious detective game, like blowtorch but then you got the mom and her son out of monkey island 3 or the goonies lol. So I also agree the tone has some major problems. Just in general you have some characters who are drawn, animated, and voice acted normally, but then there are others who are drawn, animated, and voiced acted as caricatures in a parody game. For instance Lars, has some real emotional depth and is very sarcastic in a good way like a nathan drake or a george stobbart. The problem is he is drawn like he is 3 feet tall, and is dressed like a fake sherlock holmes. He wears very heavy clothes and gloves in Miami and Miami is very very hot. Nobody would dress like that there. The fact he also has a moped is very strange. If the game was trying to be a detective monkey island, than ok I get it, but lars is way more competent than a guybrush threepwood and the game is more serious than a monkey island. If lars is suppose to be more like a george stobbart from broken sword, well than George had his quirks but is played 90 percent straight and the devs dressed and acted him as an american tourist. Lars looks and acts like he is stuck between two different game universes.

I do also agree the 2nd half is played way more straight and is a lot better than the first half, probably bc it takes place in the author’s own country, bc as a citizen of georgia in the usa not that far from Miami(been there many times) this is not how Miami really is. In general though I feel like the puzzles to be the best part of this game, to me they strike the right balance of challenge and fun.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Madit Games - 15 December 2020 08:03 AM

Well, I can give you my vision of the game, but keep in mind I’m the author!
I think the tone of the game gets more serious the more you proceed with the story, in particular AFTER the section you’re playing right now. This doesn’t mean there won’t be funny moments, because we didn’t want to write a game that was too serious or heavy.

About being stucked: if you want a hint just tell me and I’ll point you to the right direction 😌

Thanks, I solved how to get the items five minutes after restarting the game and since then I have enjoyed it quite a bit (I was sure I had tried that solution, but… Still think setting the leaves on fire logically should have worked just as well since the gardener probably would try to put out the fire to save the topiary, not run away. And why doesn’t the tape measure work to retrieve the cheese or at least trigger a better response than “would it be worth it”?:)).

If You want constructive critisism I think the first two hours or so have too many non-storyrelated “sub-puzzles”, and especially puzzles of the type where someone only gives you an item (often worthless to them) only if you run some random errand or perform a service to them. It would have been better to let the story flow a bit more uninterrupted from the start. Many puzzles so far have felt like filler and do nothing story wise.

But having said that, I think the game has had a much better flow since I completed that puzzle I was stuck on. I have just got out of the factory. Good scene!

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Hi, everyone! Cool

I wanted to give you some fresh news:

- German subtitles have been added to the game!
- Spanish subtitles announced
- Mac, Linux and Switch versions on the way (probably September)

To celebrate the moment, The Hand of Glory is currently on sale with a discount of 40%!

Here’s the link to our Steam page:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/961010/The_Hand_of_Glory/?utm_source=adventuregamers

Viva l’avventura!

Total Posts: 387

Joined 2013-02-17

PM

I`m a backer and just started to play few days ago. I really like all those Broken Sword vibes this game gives to me. I`m still playing part one and there have been few really difficult puzzles, but I really like this game - the music, dialogue and graphics. Waiting to get my big box version soon Wink

Playing: 1) Broken Sword 5 2) Road 96

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Ahenobarbus - 14 May 2021 05:33 PM

I`m a backer and just started to play few days ago. I really like all those Broken Sword vibes this game gives to me. I`m still playing part one and there have been few really difficult puzzles, but I really like this game - the music, dialogue and graphics. Waiting to get my big box version soon Wink

Thank you for your words and for being one of our backers!  Smile
We’re working on the physical goodies, big boxes are going to be SO cool!

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Hi, everyone!
I just wanted to let you know that we released The Blowtorch Files, a brief textual prequel to The Hand of Glory! Here’s more info:

- Same setting, different formula: instead of a traditional point & click adventure, in “The Blowtorch Files” you will face an innovative text adventure

- Not only text, but puzzles too: use your sight, your hearing, and conduct research in your browser in order to solve the case!

- Help Lazarus Bundy stop the individual who’s been terrorizing Miami

You can get it here, totally for FREE:
https://bit.ly/blowtorch_files

Joined 2019-07-06

PM

Hello guys,

I’m so happy and proud to tell you that The Hand of Glory is now available on Nintendo Switch as well!

You can find our page following this link:

https://bit.ly/THOG_Switch

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top