• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #66 – Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy ~

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

- To know about this game:

Fahrenheit (known in the US and Canada as Indigo Prophecy, censored version) is an action/adventure game originally released in September 2005, developed by Quantic Dream, and distributed by Atari. The game was written and directed by Quantic Dream founder, David Cage. The remastered version was released in 2015 and features improved graphics, support for higher resolutions and is based on the uncensored version of the game.

- What is this game about?

The story begins one cold night in New York, when Lucas Kane, possessed by a strange trance, stabs an unknown man to death in the bathroom of the small restaurant Doc’s Dinner.  After the trance, Lucas finds himself horrified by the situation, confused, perplexed for a few seconds trying to understand what exactly happened, and how he could have committed such a terrible and vile act? He couldn’t control himself… he didn’t want to… but he couldn’t help it.

We will accompany Lucas as he tries to escape from the police and desperately find out what happened, the why of this involuntary murder. We are the prime suspect, there is no doubt about it.

Meanwhile, Detective Carla Valenti and Tyler Miles will be in charge of investigating the events that took place and following the criminal’s trail.

- Gameplay:

We will control three characters, Lucas Kane, Carla Valenti and her partner Tyler Miles, using the keyboard to control their movements while using the mouse for every decision we have to make. It’s worth mentioning that the remastered version allows you to use a controller if you own one.

Fahrenheit is played in a third-person perspective for the most part, and in first-person in very few specific moments of the game. 

You could call it an interactive cinematic adventure, or whatever you want to call it, but if you’ve played other Quantic titles (read Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, etc) you’ll know what I mean. In this sense the game has several QTE sequences that require reflexes and coordination but nothing impossible to overcome, believe me. 

Another interesting addition in Fahrenheit is the mental health of our character, a health that we must control and monitor as much as possible; this depends basically on our own actions and decisions, but also on the plot of the game itself, something we obviously can’t avoid. Be aware, if it drops to 0, the game will be over with a resolution that will have to do with our progress up to that point.

This is a game with a certain degree of freedom, although this does not mean that the main storyline changes drastically and we will see that many times the resolution is basically the same; but the way in which these stories are woven together varies depending on our decisions, it is up to us. It will be common to find ourselves in situations where we question our own decisions or regret not having done this or that.

Furthermore, there are three levels of difficulty that are only tied to the action sequences, on hard we will have less chance of making mistakes in these sequences, as well as less time.

- Graphics:

Considering it’s a game from 15 years ago I think they are pretty good, especially the facial expressions of the characters that help a lot to put us in their skin and denote the emotions that each of the characters are going through throughout the different moments of the story, they are distinctive and real. The motion capture is great, you really feel like you’re controlling a flesh and blood character. And the third person view along with the in-game cinematics give that feeling of being inside a movie.

- Sound/Music:

A perfect, impressive soundtrack. The melodies composed by Angelo Badalamenti are simply superb, accompanying every moment of the story and conveying a constant feeling of uneasiness, anxiety and disquet. Together with some songs from Theory of a Deadman they convey a very particular aura, charged with emotion, simply beautiful.

- A few more words:

I always found the approach of this game very interesting, since we don’t only take on the role of the investigators but the game gives us the possibility to take on the role of the opposite side, the killer. As the game progresses, it is a challenge against ourselves, it makes us question everything we do.

On one side we have Lucas and his eagerness to unravel this mystery while trying to escape from the investigators who are on his heels, for this we must be cautious, escape from places where they can find us and try not to leave evidence. But on the other hand, you are also the police, and you want to find Lucas Kane to take him prisoner and solve this case once and for all. The special thing is that we (at least I) come to empathise with each of the characters, with the investigators but also and especially with Lucas.

This is a game that the first time I played it quickly became one of my favourites, for its story, for its gameplay, for its music, for its characters, I was hooked from the beginning. And as I progressed through the game, I became increasingly anxious to unravel its mysteries and find out what was going on.  After playing it I was thinking and meditating on it for a while in silence, and that is the unmistakable sign of how much I enjoyed it and I hope you can all enjoy it as much as I did. ~

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I’m going to ask some of the moderators to stick this thread.

As for how we are going to proceed, for now we are going to proceed as follows and I ask for a little patience if something is not quite clear or confusing, this is my first time leading this playthrough.

We will start in six days, that is 5/12. That way we give all participants time to prepare, get the game, install it, run it, test that it works, those details. However, I don’t want to be too rigid about it either, if the majority is ready to start before that date, we could start earlier.

You can and I recommend that you play the tutorial, to get a clear idea of all the mechanical aspects of the game that you will encounter once you start, you will get a pretty good idea of how it works. But please don’t start the story yet.

Let us know when you are ready. If you have any questions or problems, please share them with us and maybe we can solve them together.

~

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

That’s only the best intro to a CPT I’ve ever read, great job!

This is my 4th time playing the game, some parts of the game I like, others not so much. I have the game on an old iPad, it does have upgraded graphics over the original.

The story I really like some parts of and it held my interest until the end.

So, I’m ready when everyone else is.

I can already tell this is going to be a great CPT.

Thanks Tenebra!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve dl’d the Steam remastered version. No chance to play it yet. Will report back in the next day or two.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1231

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Awesome presentation, Tenebra! ¡Qué chévere!

Steam version installed and game up and running. I played the tutorial (a bit awkwark controls but I’ll get used to them).

Ready to start whenever you say!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Awesome, thank you Tenebra.

I’ve installed the remasterd steam version as well.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I’m ready to start playing, using the (uncensored) GOG version that I bought many years ago. This will be the first time I play it though.

Tenebra - 06 May 2021 07:55 PM

The melodies composed by Angelo Badalamenti are simply superb, accompanying every moment of the story and conveying a constant feeling of uneasiness, anxiety and disquet.

This is a very pleasant surprise for me. His work for Twin Peaks, The City of Lost Children and many other titles is perhaps the main reason I’ve found those experiences so captivating.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

The remastered version is installed and I’ve completed the tutorial. Everything seems to work fine. I’m ready to go!

I played the standard EU version at the time of release, on the Playstation 2 I think. Really liked it, but found some of the QTE stuff frustrating, mostly the QTE:s during cutscenes with dialog between NPC:s. So I’ll at least start out on the easy difficulty setting. I’ll be playing with a controller.

Total Posts: 5804

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I played the PS2 version which I still have & can load up. I really liked the game but did find some of the ‘action’ sequences difficult even on easy mode. Hmm….I’m tempted but would using the keyboard in the Steam version be more difficult than using a controller?

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I really liked the game but did find some of the ‘action’ sequences difficult even on easy mode.

This is quite true for me as well. Some of the timed puzzles can be a bit tough. We’ll see how it goes.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2056

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Downloaded the GOG version since I don’t like Steam, and I also heard that the remastered version lacks the atmosphere of the original game which was darker and grittier. Here’s a comparison video where some differences could be spotted (spoiler alert, of course!). As for the game, I received it as a present at the time of release, started playing, but stopped after awhile. Being a great fan of Cage’s first work, Omikron - an epic, open-world, real hardcore adventure - I was left disappointed with Fahrenheit, got rid of the game and never returned to it since. But after so many years I’m curious to rediscover it - despite I still don’t like QTE Smile Yet I will choose the “hard” setting anyway, because that’s how I prefer to play all my games.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I have the steam version and also the ps4 version, that seems to be a ps2 port.

I played the tutorial at steam and also at my ps5. Steam version looks way better than ps4 version that has a lot of film grain and the graphics are ps2 era. But ... the movement and controls are way better at ps4 version. The QTE feels a lot more natural with analog sticks and looks like the game was designed with those in mind as basic control. Keyboard and mouse was just ok but it will probably make harder the QTE. Not sure which version to play.
Should i go with better graphics or with better controls? And i m really used and enjoy the dual sense controller.

Other than that, my first time playing the game and i m excited because i had played heavy rain when it launched and i enjoyed it a lot. I think i had 100% back then doing all the several endings. I dont expect it to be that good but still if its the same designer it should be enjoyable.

I will play at easy difficulty. Not fun of QTE and i prefer the adventuring part. I think QTE is just a lazy design to add some interaction to this kind of games. But i wont judge it before playing it because i remember that i actually liked it when i played heavy rain as it was adding immersion.

Total Posts: 505

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Nico2021 - 07 May 2021 10:17 AM

Should i go with better graphics or with better controls?

The PC version can be played with a controller, so no need to compromise. That’s how I will play the remastered version.

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

I see that there are several of you who are ready to start, good to know. Anyway let’s wait a bit longer, there are several other members who expressed interest in playing it, and also let’s wait for rtooney.

Reading you guys there is a general consensus about the QTE, and I think it’s totally understandable, this was, if I’m not mistaken (I never played Omikron) the first Quantic game to start using these elements, we saw them later in the following Quantic products, but especially in this game, maybe because it’s the first of this style, there is a certain abuse of this resource.

Adv_Lvr - 06 May 2021 08:47 PM

That’s only the best intro to a CPT I’ve ever read, great job!
I can already tell this is going to be a great CPT.

Thanks Tenebra!

Heart

Thank you very much. Let’s hope it will at least be good.

some parts of the game I like, others not so much.

I think that’s going to be a key point especially as we get closer to the middle of the game, there are going to be people who dislike the direction the game is going in, but hopefully there will be some interesting discussions about it.

Doom - 07 May 2021 09:58 AM

Downloaded the GOG version since I don’t like Steam, and I also heard that the remastered version lacks the atmosphere of the original game which was darker and grittier. Here’s a comparison video where some differences could be spotted (spoiler alert, of course!).

You know I’ve seen that video and I have to struggle to find any difference, to me they look almost identical.

Other than that, my first time playing the game and i m excited because i had played heavy rain when it launched and i enjoyed it a lot. I think i had 100% back then doing all the several endings. I dont expect it to be that good but still if its the same designer it should be enjoyable.

Here too there are different possible endings, three if I remember correctly.

~

Total Posts: 175

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Veovis - 07 May 2021 01:17 PM

Should i go with better graphics or with better controls?

The PC version can be played with a controller, so no need to compromise. That’s how I will play the remastered version.

Tbh i tried to connect my dual sense with the usb cable i have from ps4 and somehow everytime i connected it i had no sound. when i removed the cable then sound was coming back. I m not that familiar with using the ps4 controller on pc and i do like the plug and play aspect of the consoles. Also even with the controller the movement wasnt as smooth as on ps5 and the bindings were weird. I will probably try again tomorrow. Just hate troubleshooting with pc. Every time i get a problem i spent more time on google searching for solutions than playing the game Smile

Update: Ok it seems pc was recognising my controller as a speaker. So i changed manually sound back to pc speakers. Interface and key bindings is same as console, and movement is as smooth also, so everything is perfect. There is a huge diference in graphics, so pc it is. Ready to go when everyone is.

Total Posts: 5030

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not a good start! Repeatedly failed the car-avoidance tutorial. After being killed 15 times I decided to take a break. It’s been a long time, say 15 years or more since I used the WASD controls. Don’t think I’m ready to start the game. First I have to survive the tutorial. I do not have a controller, so that’s not an option.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top