• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

danigar

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s Play: Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 849

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

My review is up, and can be read here: https://adventuregamehotspot.com/2023/01/30/beyond-the-edge-of-owlsgard-a-hoot-of-a-pixel-art-animal-adventure/

(Please forgive a couple of misplaced/absent commas. Like Beyond the Edge of Owlsgard itself, I’m very good, but also not perfect.)

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2078

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Managed to finish Owlsguard, and I still can’t learn the game’s name. I think I enjoyed all chapters equally. Even during the last chapter the gameplay successfully balanced between a darker, lonelier experience and a lighthearted comedy without losing its wits and charms. Smart use of environments was very satisfying, returning to the previously explored areas in order to perform other tasks never felt forced or exhausting, unlike in many other modern adventure games that tried to emulate the classics.

I do agree about that particular design choice mentioned by Karlok and Blubba (add to this finding the right pile of bones — both puzzles stumped me for a good while), but the game’s so rich in interactions that it feels like nitpicking. Owlsward inspires exploration, trying out different things which is the heart and soul of a true adventure. I punched the poor mummified horse a good dozen of times just for the sake of its reaction Laughing There were plenty of those moments.

Good storytelling, even when the old “good vs. evil” formula hits, nice ending, a bit over-the-top — which is, again, fine by me. Nothing is out of place here, the production quality is top notch up till the credits stop rolling. Can’t help but compare Oswald to Hob’s Barrow, also a one-man creation which, despite all of its highlights, felt less polished and just less playworthy to me, with gaps left here and there. This one is pretty much gapless, it leaves you in this sad-happy state, not wanting to quit. Easily my favourite ag of 2022, although I’m unsure whether it belongs there or in 2023.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1663

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Wife and i played the demo. The demo was charming. Still think i will wait for a sale though. 25 bucks is a bit steep.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

I think when I do buy it though I’m playing on Modern mode. I figured out it just makes objects more visible and gives you more time on the time puzzles which are both fine with me. The demo really intrigued me I’m almost about to just buy it

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Fair enough, although I don’t recall any time puzzles in Oilsgard… There is one pseudo-arcade mini-game, but a very easy one, and it awards you with a hilarious death scene in case you fail. Finding important objects, on the other hand, might be a problem. Still not so bad as in the games like Deponia or The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Doom - 07 February 2023 02:47 PM

Fair enough, although I don’t recall any time puzzles in Oilsgard…

I hate it when people can’t remember simple things, like name of the city. The city is called Assguard.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 07 February 2023 02:47 PM

Fair enough, although I don’t recall any time puzzles in Oilsgard… There is one pseudo-arcade mini-game, but a very easy one, and it awards you with a hilarious death scene in case you fail. Finding important objects, on the other hand, might be a problem. Still not so bad as in the games like Deponia or The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Well in the demo I already went over an object four times before I realized it was something different, even though it wasn’t used to solve a puzzle, yet. It was at the beach scene, above the pile of dirt there is an object called beam, and I swear to God every other time I passed over, the object still said house. Another funny part in the demo is one of the characters had not had voices yet done in English and the voice was in German, so that was hilarious.  there was one time puzzle in the demo which I found very easy, you had to throw a rock at a lever to crush a robot, but I stood there to watch the death scene lol.

If you want to see some bad timing puzzle design, check out crowns and pawns, especially if your playing with a laptop mouse pad and not an actual mouse plugged in.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

There are a couple of timing puzzles that I remember offhand. I don’t believe my very vague descriptions will spoil them.

In one, you are falling and need to click on something before something bad happens. This is more a matter of knowing *what* to do than being able to do it fast enough, and the same is true of the other timing puzzles in the game. You are always warned with a big fat SAVE YOUR GAME icon before anything dangerous happens, so it’s no big deal to die, load, die load, until you figure these out.

The only timed puzzle that might be truly frustrating for some people is later in the game. In this puzzle, once again, knowing is more than half the battle. In this one, though, even if you know what to do, the pathfinding in the room is a little clunky, so it might take a few tries to get Finn to be where he has to be, when he has to be there.

The pixel hunting was never anywhere near Gabriel Knight snake scale awful. The main problem is the way the world might contain a dozen identical objects (rocks, bones, etc) and you have to click on them all in case one of them elicits a unique response and is key to solving a puzzle.

I thought the game was worth $25. Actually, I didn’t pay for it, but I would gladly have paid that price for it.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Baron_Blubba - 07 February 2023 04:13 PM

There are a couple of timing puzzles that I remember offhand. I don’t believe my very vague descriptions will spoil them.

In one, you are falling and need to click on something before something bad happens. This is more a matter of knowing *what* to do than being able to do it fast enough, and the same is true of the other timing puzzles in the game. You are always warned with a big fat SAVE YOUR GAME icon before anything dangerous happens, so it’s no big deal to die, load, die load, until you figure these out.

The only timed puzzle that might be truly frustrating for some people is later in the game. In this puzzle, once again, knowing is more than half the battle. In this one, though, even if you know what to do, the pathfinding in the room is a little clunky, so it might take a few tries to get Finn to be where he has to be, when he has to be there.

The pixel hunting was never anywhere near Gabriel Knight snake scale awful. The main problem is the way the world might contain a dozen identical objects (rocks, bones, etc) and you have to click on them all in case one of them elicits a unique response and is key to solving a puzzle.

I thought the game was worth $25. Actually, I didn’t pay for it, but I would gladly have paid that price for it.

Well even for me in the demo, I found objects sort of blending in. I mean after trying to pick up a thousand rocks I just got lucky in picking up the pebbles in one scene because I almost got tired of trying. Although i loved the fact you could throw them at a half dozen places for no reason at all lol.

How long would you say the game is?

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

diego - 07 February 2023 02:55 PM

I hate it when people can’t remember simple things, like name of the city. The city is called Assguard.

My bad! It will be known as Arseguard from now on.

Jdawg445 - 07 February 2023 02:56 PM

It was at the beach scene, above the pile of dirt there is an object called beam, and I swear to God every other time I passed over, the object still said house.

They probably fixed it in the full game, I’m sure I recognised the object as soon as I saw it and kept it in mind, because I was certain it would be used to solve a puzzle sooner or later.

If you want to see some bad timing puzzle design, check out crowns and pawns, especially if your playing with a laptop mouse pad and not an actual mouse plugged in.

Argh… Now I’m even less enthusiastic about trying out that game. Never planned tbh, the graphics and those annoying ads at adventure forums kept me away from it.

Baron_Blubba - 07 February 2023 04:13 PM

In one, you are falling and need to click on something before something bad happens.

Oh yes, I remember now. But, as you said, I knew what to do in advance and had no trouble with it. In fact I learned about the death scene only from the video I posted above (and it’s another cool one, not to be missed).

In this puzzle, once again, knowing is more than half the battle. In this one, though, even if you know what to do, the pathfinding in the room is a little clunky, so it might take a few tries to get Finn to be where he has to be, when he has to be there.

Do you mean the part with the railway, where all four cells have to be occupied in order for it to operate? I also found it easy, even if you have to move fast. I agree about

but, as I wrote, it happened to me only twice during the whole game. Same with Gabriel Smile

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Yes, Doom, that’s the latter-game puzzle I was referring to. It took me a few tries.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

what would you say roughly is the playtime of the game? I do wonder why the developer put such a high price tag on the game, it looks like a lot of love and effort went into the game, so I’m not talking about the product itself. but I feel like he’s pricing himself a bit out of the market, maybe more people would be talking about and playing, if it was just even a little bit cheaper.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Long for a game like this. I’d say 8 hours at least.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 7449

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d say you can count on a playtime of at least 10 hours. I finished it after roughly 15 hours. But I’m not your average player, I’m slow with puzzles and I take my time exploring everything. This game has great voice acting, so I didn’t interrupt the characters. (If I don’t like the voices I shut them up as soon as I’ve read their lines, like many players do.)

Yes, the price is too high. The dev wrote in reply to someone at Steam that he sucks at marketing. That may have something to do with it.

EDIT: Heh, I noticed the Baron’s 8 hours after I posted my reply. I stick with 10.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top