• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Twilight Oracle - an upcoming comedy fantasy point and click adventure - demo love + promo Kickstarter page live

Total Posts: 38

Joined 2014-03-07

PM

Hey everyone!

23.05: UPDATE! 56 hours remain in Twilight Oracle‘s Kickstarter campaign! If you wanted to back our game & haven’t yet, now’s your chance! Don’t miss out! Smile

25.04: UPDATE! Twilight Oracle’s Kickstarter campaign is now LIVE! You can back the game right here: https://bit.ly/twilight-oracle-campaign

Update: The promo Kickstarter page is live, you can click here to be notified when the campaign launches on 25.04: https://bit.ly/twilight-oracle-campaign

I’m working on Twilight Oracle, an upcoming comedy fantasy point and click adventure. Smile

You can wishlist and get the demo on Steam here:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2338490/Twilight_Oracle

The demo is also available on Itch:
https://cosmicvoid.itch.io/twilight-oracle

Journey to a strange world in search of the fabled Oracle in this fantasy comedy point & click adventure. Play as Leo, a struggling student with the ability to breathe underwater and walk on the ocean’s surface, and explore a desert island and the depths of an alien ocean to uncover your school’s dark past.

Explore the mysterious forests and shores of an alien world, and plunge into its uncharted depths to uncover its secrets. Discover the awe-inspiring denizens that dwell in the deep, from fabled, illusive entities to colossal squids.

Unravel the mysteries of the island with the help of your friends, each with their own unique ability. Collaborate with Marcus, who can conjure fire from thin air, Jill, who can read minds, and Olivia, who can manipulate the properties of objects. Together, you can conquer the challenges that await you on this fantastic journey in Twilight Oracle.

Get ready to solve puzzles and enjoy the witty (and at times, juvenile) banter between Leo and his friends as you embark on this whimsical adventure. Immerse yourself in a nostalgic atmosphere reminiscent of classic retro adventures and lose yourself in the charm of this fantastical world.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

nice! i’ll play the demo soon and post about it in the appropriate thread.

Joined 2014-03-07

PM

Vegetable Party - 05 April 2023 04:37 PM

nice! i’ll play the demo soon and post about it in the appropriate thread.

Cheers! Have fun. Smile

Joined 2014-03-07

PM

25.04: UPDATE! Twilight Oracle’s Kickstarter campaign is now LIVE! You can back the game right here: https://bit.ly/twilight-oracle-campaign

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

For the life of me I don’t understand the developer fixation with retro/pixelated graphics. If it’s a budget thing, it should be stated up front. If it’s an aesthetic thing, it should be stated up front. There are indie casual games that are somehow capable of delivering high-end graphics. No support from me here.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-03-07

PM

rtrooney - 25 April 2023 09:15 PM

For the life of me I don’t understand the developer fixation with retro/pixelated graphics. If it’s a budget thing, it should be stated up front. If it’s an aesthetic thing, it should be stated up front. There are indie casual games that are somehow capable of delivering high-end graphics. No support from me here.

It’s not about a developer ‘fixation’ with retro graphics, it’s about intentionally creating an aesthetic that has a nostalgic appeal to some players. It’s a deliberate choice, not a budget constraint. As for your lack of support, while I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with your dismissive attitude.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

Maybe it’s because I’m a developer myself but I can’t for the life of me understand the point of criticising a developer for choosing a specific artistic style. It could be for the reasons you mention, it could be something completely different, expecting an explanation for the chosen style shouldn’t be seen as necessary. My latest Captain Disaster game has a completely different style to the others, and believe me it’s not because I suddenly have access to a huge budget, it’s just because of who I’m working with on this game. If you like high-res and don’t like low-res then fine, I think this game has a really striking art style, mainly due to the colour palette used.  Personally I’m not a fan of the very low res blocky graphics style I see in some games, but that’s a choice the developer has made for whatever reason and I respect that. I think it’s great that there’s such a variety of styles in the indie adventure game scene, not every style will appeal to every person but isn’t that sort of the point? Remember when everyone was rushing to make 3D games because that was the new thing - I recall a lot of point and clickers not liking that and calling for a return to 2D around that time and for several years after. 2D, 3D, retro, hi-res, FMV, at the end of the day there’s room for all of them.

Anyway Owly all the best with your Kickstarter! Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Owly - 25 April 2023 09:41 PM

It’s not about a developer ‘fixation’ with retro graphics, it’s about intentionally creating an aesthetic that has a nostalgic appeal to some players. It’s a deliberate choice, not a budget constraint. As for your lack of support, while I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with your dismissive attitude.

CaptainD - 26 April 2023 03:13 PM

Maybe it’s because I’m a developer myself but I can’t for the life of me understand the point of criticising a developer for choosing a specific artistic style.

Let’s go for CD’s comment first. My dislike of retro graphics has been long standing. So you shouldn’t be surprised by my post. But your accusation of me criticizing the style is off base. I did not criticize the style in my original post. I said, which I think is my right, that I don’t care for the style and would not support a KS for a game that has a graphic style I don’t like. Do you have a problem with that?

To Owly - If you think that retro is catering to nostalgic thoughts of games of yesteryear, I think you are mistaken. My attitude is not dismissive. It’s simply a statement that I, among many gamers I correspond with, want to see game graphics that are at least as good as the worst casual game has to offer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2012-12-22

PM

I like many styles, this style is one of them. Don’t think an artist needs to argue for the style that was used. I respect that rtrooney don’t like the style though.

Story rich DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and linux for direct download - https://fireflowergames.com/. Half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Looks nice. Did you model the protagonist after Kyrandia’s Brandon? He sure looks and moves a lot like him (or maybe it’s just a common slacker’s thing).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2013-02-26

PM

@rtrooney - my reply was because I thought you were insinuating something about indie adventure game developers in general, and suggesting that anyone using a retro style should be required to offer an explanation. I merely offered a counterpoint, and I stand by the comments I made. However on reflection I feel I may have been over-defensive (perhaps because I have made low-res games myself including one I worked on with Owly) and misunderstood the intent of your words - if this is the case I apologise. To me it seems a likely that you see a new game announcement, think it might look interesting, and then find - yet again - that it’s using a graphic style that causes you to lose interest in the game. If that is your experience, I can certainly understand how frustrating that would be. I hope there are enough games coming out with higher res graphics to slake your thirst for new adventure games!

Back to the game itself, good to see that the Kickstarter is going well.

Joined 2014-03-07

PM

Leo’s sprite was made with Brandon’s sprite as its reference, yeah. Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not a problem.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2014-03-07

PM

23.05 update - added a wave animation gif (original post) and highlighted the Kickstarter campaign for Twilight Oracle ends in 56 hours if anyone wants to back it for exciting rewards. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top