• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Really? A 5 out of 5 on a Walking Dead?

Total Posts: 89

Joined 2005-12-19

PM

Is TWD a fun adventure game? Yes, to most people it is. Does it warrant a subjective 5/5 review backed by a lot of comprehensible and useful words? Sure, why not. Same goes for most of the posts that present a different view on the game though!

Please point out where I have insulted anyone here?

... however, saying that TWD is “brainless trash” is bound to offend the feelings of people who genuinely enjoyed the game and became emotionally invested in the characters. They feel like you’re trying to invalidate their experience and that they are being called “brainless” by proxy. They feel insulted.

It’s your wording, man.

That’s a little unfair, Adventure. Simon doesn’t have a predictable story with cheap sentimentality.

Is it cheap? Sure as hell it is! (at least if you’re comparing a game with a good book or a great movie) It’s less cheap than 95% of other “game stories” though, and this alone feels like an insane achievement. Being able to control the game character, and make hard choices certainly helps (which is why I feel like calling TWD a barely interactive movie is really not fair). Even if many of those choices did not change the course of the game in a major fashion, the ILLUSION of them doing so is more than enough, more so for people who will not replay TWD. Isn’t that what a game is supposed to do, create a believable illusion?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

This thread has become personal fight, bravo guys.
I think we should start a poll and call it quits, don’t see
any consenus.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Several people here have tried to conclude that everyone should respect each others opinion, that a review is an opinion, and thus should be treated as such. Why we can’t come to an agreement about this, I believe is heavily related to the fact that some seems unable resist the urge to belittle or insult (or are even unaware that they are bellitling) other peoples opinions while expressing their own.

I can’t think of any setting where weaving insults into your argumentation actually works to your advantage.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Adventure - 11 December 2012 05:32 AM

First we’re talking about a review which is supposed to be objective, not just a matter of “taste”. Second, I have to admit my comparison was a bit unfair as Simon features much deeper gameplay than TWD. In fact a malfunctioning DVD player would offer a similar experience to that “game”. Don’t act surprised some people are offended at this site giving a perfect score to that braindead, gameplay-free QTE trash.

So.. you seem to be offended that someone has a different opinion of the game than yourself.

Surely people are entitled to their own opinion. How can a review be 100% objective, based on what criteria. Is there are measuring tool and rules that break down games and spits out an objective score. I don’t thinks so.

Reviews are always going to be subjective on the tastes and opinions of the reviewer.

You don’t think it’s a game then fine, try expressing that opinion in a mature and articulate manner instead of trying for a cheap troll (Your first post was a Simon board game) or with hyperbole (Walking Dead = SuXors i.e.Braindead gameplay free trash). Objectivly you are wrong on the gameplay free part beacuse I guarantee you that you have to “play” the game to complete it so it can’t be game play free.

Try booting up the game and just sit there doing nothing and see hom much of the game you finish.

BTW to everyone whinging about how this site gave the Walking Dead a 5/5 you should have noticed the game came in 5 parts and that was the review for episode 5. Taking all the scores for all the episodes and averaging it then the official score for The Walking Dead on this site would be 4.4/5.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Congratulations, we have now established that disliking a game is tantamount to insulting the people who like it and hyperbole is officially removed from the list of acceptable rhetorical devices because it’s “mean” or something. Every game is equally great and everyone is a winner and if you disagree you are a “troll” who should “get out”. I’m glad this has been straightened out, it’s now time to fixate endlessly on perceived slights rather than actual arguments.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Adventure - 11 December 2012 11:38 AM

actual arguments.

LOL

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Kurufinwe - 11 December 2012 11:40 AM

actual arguments.

LOL

Ah, sounds like my apparently fantastical claim that TWD is a game with no gameplay has been thoroughly debunked.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m pretty sure Lucien did that a couple of posts ago.

(And for that matter, I’ve already said earlier in this thread that I didn’t really see TWD as a game anyway. But it’s definitely highly interactive.)

Listen, I don’t give a flying fuck if you (or anybody else) don’t like TWD. But when you dismiss it as “braindead trash”—something that obviously only a complete moron may enjoy— then you’re insulting my intelligence. And that I have a problem with.

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Kurufinwe - 11 December 2012 11:58 AM

I’m pretty sure Lucien did that a couple of posts ago.

(And for that matter, I’ve already said earlier in this thread that I didn’t really see TWD as a game anyway. But it’s definitely highly interactive.)

Listen, I don’t give a flying fuck if you (or anybody else) don’t like TWD. But when you dismiss it as “braindead trash”—something that obviously only a complete moron may enjoy— then you’re insulting my intelligence. And that I have a problem with.

I think Telltale is the one insulting players’ intelligence. And I have a problem with that.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Congratulations, we have now established that disliking a game is tantamount to insulting the people who like it and hyperbole is officially removed from the list of acceptable rhetorical devices because it’s “mean” or something. Every game is equally great and everyone is a winner and if you disagree you are a “troll” who should “get out”. I’m glad this has been straightened out, it’s now time to fixate endlessly on perceived slights rather than actual arguments.

I don’t think we have established any such thing (apart from maybe in you own head.) All I asked for was that people express their opinions in a mature and articulate manner. I don’t care if they liked the game or not as long as they can back it up without insulting others.

And Hyperbole like “OMG TWD is the biggest pile of shite to come out ever” isn’t necessarily “mean” or something it just something more akin with Neogaf comments. It doesn’t convey what is wrong with the game or why you didn’t like it. It’s tells me absolutly nothing.

I would love us to be able to get onto actual arguments as soon as you come up with some.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

@ADVENTURE ^^

You have made your point abundantly clear and i can feel your sentiments, though i would understand , others won’t. You have to agree to disagree or leave it altogether,
mainstream majority would bash you.

Joined 2012-04-11

PM

Lucien21 - 11 December 2012 12:42 PM

I don’t think we have established any such thing (apart from maybe in you own head.) All I asked for was that people express their opinions in a mature and articulate manner. I don’t care if they liked the game or not as long as they can back it up without insulting others.

And Hyperbole like “OMG TWD is the biggest pile of shite to come out ever” isn’t necessarily “mean” or something it just something more akin with Neogaf comments. It doesn’t convey what is wrong with the game or why you didn’t like it. It’s tells me absolutly nothing.

I would love us to be able to get onto actual arguments as soon as you come up with some.

I’ve made my argument clear several times, but as I said

it’s now time to fixate endlessly on perceived slights rather than actual arguments.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top