• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Really? A 5 out of 5 on a Walking Dead?

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 09 December 2012 02:39 PM
Jackal - 09 December 2012 01:20 PM

Whoa now, hold the fort. This isn’t true at all. QTEs are merely tolerated (by AG) as an “action” component in an adventure game so long as they don’t dominate the experience (which would then disqualify them from consideration). Games like Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit and Jurassic Park were really starting to push the limit of what’s acceptable. Fortunately, they were scaled back to a much more manageable level in TWD. But to be clear, QTEs aren’t in any way considered a viable adventure element on their own.

Have there been other QTE games that weren’t adventures?
The only four that I know of are Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, Jurassic Park and The Walking Dead…

Guitar Hero?

(if we go by this definition: “A Quick Time Event (QTE) is a method of context-sensitive gameplay in which the player performs actions on the control device shortly after the appearance of an on-screen prompt.”)

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-12-09

PM

Well, the term QTE was originally coined by Sega legend Yu Suzuki as a gameplay element for Shenmue. Which, while not being an Adventure, has a lot of Adventure game elements.

But as far as QTE games go, I think that a lot of older games, that were made before the acronym even existed, fit the bill. Dragon’s Lair, Space Ace, Road Warrior, Time Gal - early FMV games, generally.

What about last year’s Asura’s Wrath? That game was 50% QTEs at least. And it was an action game.

(yes, that’s how most of the game is, honestly!)

Of course, QTEs are generally a big part of modern action games like the most recent Resident Evils and Uncharteds. It’s a good way to make visually impressive setpieces without creating completely new gameplay mechanics. It’s tempting, I guess. With QTEs you can make the kind of action movie setpieces, that would never work with the precise control schemes of regular gameplay sections. But in recent years, action games have overused them, often quite extremely.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-12-09

PM

Guitar Hero?

(going by this definition: A Quick Time Event (QTE) is a method of context-sensitive gameplay in which the player performs actions on the control device shortly after the appearance of an on-screen prompt.)

The game mechanics in rhythm games are quite similar to QTEs, but there is one difference. It’s actually possible to ignore the onscreen prompt and play rhythm games blindly, just in accordance with the music. In games like Parappa, it can actually be a lifesaver to go with the rhytm and ignore the prompt.

Not arguing against it though. I have never thought about that genre as being QTE, but it’s an interesting and valid point of view.

(sigh ... where is my Elite Beat Agens 2 ...?)

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Knowing a little bit of guitar myself, whenever I watch friends play Guitar Hero the prompts on the fretboard look completely unrelated to the music except the timing of the notes. I have never played the game myself but I wouldn’t be able to pass the easiest song just going by the music.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Guitar Hero is technical a QTE and not a QTE. It is a rhythm game which is its own game type.

QTE does not mean Quick Time Event which people misunderstood, but Quick Timer Event. Meaning a small amount of time to trigger an event.
http://kotaku.com/5958716/what-do-you-know-all-this-time-and-weve-got-qte-wrong

Guitar Hero is, as said, a rhythm game so there is no event being triggered, just accurately completing a set of notes in a specific pattern.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Monolith - 09 December 2012 07:38 PM

QTE does not mean Quick Time Event which people misunderstood, but Quick Timer Event. Meaning a small amount of time to trigger an event.

Sadly, over a decade later, Shenmue is still one of the few examples of QTEs used appropriately within the context of the main gameplay systems, as opposed to “mash A to simulate panicked action”.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Guitar Hero is technical a QTE and not a QTE. It is a rhythm game which is its own game type.

Guitar Hero is, as said, a rhythm game so there is no event being triggered, just accurately completing a set of notes in a specific pattern.

Yes but we’re talking about the action element of TWD and Jurassic Park. That is: a prompt flashes up “press X” you have to respond quickly in time.

It’s the action part of QTEs (whatever they are, apart from containing action) we’re interested in when talking about adventure games, because it’s action which makes a game not an adventure: not events being or not being triggered.

Jackal is right to say this type of gameplay is NOT an adventure element, and we tolerate it just as we tolerate the combat sequences of Dreamfall or QFG.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Zifnab - 09 December 2012 09:30 PM

Yes but we’re talking about the action element of TWD and Jurassic Park. That is: a prompt flashes up “press X” you have to respond quickly in time.

It’s the action part of QTEs (whatever they are, apart from containing action) we’re interested in when talking about adventure games, because it’s action which makes a game not an adventure: not events being or not being triggered.

Jackal is right to say this type of gameplay is NOT an adventure element, and we tolerate it just as we tolerate the combat sequences of Dreamfall or QFG.

Were we not also talking about Guitar Hero, the main reason behind my post? Hence the reason why I pointed out that its called Quick Timer Event, making Guitar Hero’s relevance to the argument void?

orient - 09 December 2012 08:53 PM

Sadly, over a decade later, Shenmue is still one of the few examples of QTEs used appropriately within the context of the main gameplay systems, as opposed to “mash A to simulate panicked action”.

Well Heavy Rain did exactly what Shenmue did (relevant quick time actions), minus the awesome excitement and exploration. lol

I’ll be honest, I think we should be splitting QTEs into two separate categories. Something Hidden Object Games need (HOG’s with Completely Random Objects and HOGs with Relevant items that need to be collected or used in a scene).

Arcade QTEs: Quick Time Actions are exist to intensify the action without any real relevance to the movement or actions done.

Relevant QTEs: Quick Time Actions that are relevant to the actions and movements in-game button memorization for relevant actions. Whenever the character needs to jump, you always press the same button every time. To Dodge a bullet, pressing left or right paddle at the right time.

Agreed?

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I stand corrected. I obviously had the wrong idea about QTEs. I figured they all had to be relevant as well (like mimicking the player’s actions in Indigo Prophecy).

So basically the combos you could perform in Prince of Persia: Two Thrones were actually QTEs as well?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

orient - 09 December 2012 08:53 PM

God of War says Hi!

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Monolith - 09 December 2012 10:50 PM
Zifnab - 09 December 2012 09:30 PM

Were we not also talking about Guitar Hero, the main reason behind my post? Hence the reason why I pointed out that its called Quick Timer Event, making Guitar Hero’s relevance to the argument void?

I thought it was relevant because Guitar Hero has the same action elements as the “press X now” parts of Jurassic Park and TWD.

We are getting too bogged down in terminology and what things are called. Once you start classifying things as a QTE, ZPF, LQM, @*$#!, or whatever you like it then becomes impossible to discuss anything.

Let’s talk about the games and not the definitions, yeah?

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Monolith - 09 December 2012 10:50 PM

Well Heavy Rain did exactly what Shenmue did (relevant quick time actions), minus the awesome excitement and exploration. lol

Heavy Rain has the most fully realised QTE mechanics to date—a significant step up from the foundation laid down by Shenmue. It was good to see Quantic Dream get it right the second time after the abysmal QTEs in Fahrenheit. But outside of Heavy Rain, the QTE has really floundered, acting as a crutch for bashing, smashing and occasionally dodging things.

nomadsoul - 10 December 2012 03:59 AM

God of War says Hi!

I love God of War, and the QTEs are essential to the cinematic aspect of the game. They feel good to execute because the graphics, animation and sound are so great, but they still come down to tapping a random button most of the time.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Jackal - 06 December 2012 10:43 AM

The Walking Dead is more than an “interactive movie”, but yes, it’s an extremely easy adventure game. So what? The question is not “would more adventure gamers like it if it had harder puzzles?” but “would harder puzzles actually benefit the game’s character- and story-driven focus?”

Yes, when I’ve discussed “To the Moon” I said that I’m really not sure how would harder puzzles fit in and would it make a “better game”. At the end of the day, it’s - you didn’t like the game, you liked it, you loved it… and while you play it you don’t explain to yourself pieces of what makes your experience.

But I’d still say TWD is an interactive movie. Sure, an interactive movie in 2012. is going to be slightly different than “interactive movies” of the 90s, but has really that much changed? Even Gabriel Knight 2 was at the time called “interactive movie” by some.

TimovieMan - 10 December 2012 01:23 AM

So basically the combos you could perform in Prince of Persia: Two Thrones were actually QTEs as well?

QTEs were always there, it’s just a fancy term actively used in last couple of years. This is the best down-to-earth QTE explanation I’ve found:

“Quick Time Events show up in all sorts of games as a way to make cinematic cutscenes slightly more interactive.

A Quick Time Event is typically a form of interactive cut-scene, where main control of the on-screen action is replaced by a lengthy animation with limited user interaction. Most games that feature QTEs flash an on-screen icon to tell players which button or direction to press to successfully continue the animation.”

Going by that definition, for example Phantasmagoria finale is an epitome of QTE.

Gorbush - 09 December 2012 02:47 AM

Sounds like the worry exists, to me.

When “To the Moon” was released with critical acclaims with guys from Gamespot and other reviewers raving over it and admitting it made them cry - NOBODY was concerned. And “To the Moon” is even less “adventure” than TWD. So, why is that? It might have to do with the fact that To the Moon came out of nowhere, from the indie developer. Even if it’s hardly a game, I’d still say it’s one of the best things in the genre in 2011. So what’s the “problem” with TWD? It comes from Telltale, a company which is a synonym of “golden-age” remnant, saving classical franchises and being one of the solely American new-age represent.  And - they gradually led to this. To simplify things - Tales of Monkey Island is an adventure with averagely hard puzzles, Back to the Future is an adventure with easy puzzles, and Jurassic Park and TWD are adventures with extremely easy puzzles. I’d say “concern” is because of that pattern (even though King’s Quest for example is due to “revert” things a bit) and the fact that “mainstream” seems to be loving rudimentary puzzles at the moment, but that really tells more of a “non adventure players” than Telltale.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

If you polled the members here, very few of us would agree as to what an adventure should be. Adventure games are evolving, otherwise we wouldn’t have the term ‘classic’ adventure. Many new games do not appeal to me, but there is an audience for them. The review works, it tells me what I need to know about the game. The score means nothing, because I know from the review that I would not like this game. The Five Cores got 2 1/2 stars, and I can’t wait to play it and I know I will enjoy it immensely.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Telltale’s next game is based on another comic book series, but I don’t see it follwoing the Walking Dead route.

Fables is about fairy tale characters who are living in New York. It woulds probably benefit more with a traditional type adventure game.

I would have expected a trailer any day now to ride on the back of the Walking Dead press.

It will be interesting to see if it holds the same level of interest.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top