• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 48 - Shivers

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Something I don’t remember from previous playthroughs is that the ixupi can change locations in the middle of playing! I heard the one in the fireplace so I quickly looked away then after coming back a little later, when I finished the puzzle in the storage room, I no longer heard the sound and looked at the fireplace and it was gone. I hadn’t saved or quit the game. Looks like they are gonna make me chase them this time around, lol. Tongue

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Sir Beardalot - 29 August 2018 10:13 PM

Something I don’t remember from previous playthroughs is that the ixupi can change locations in the middle of playing! I heard the one in the fireplace so I quickly looked away then after coming back a little later, when I finished the puzzle in the storage room, I no longer heard the sound and looked at the fireplace and it was gone. I hadn’t saved or quit the game. Looks like they are gonna make me chase them this time around, lol. Tongue

Yeah I noticed that too. Also if you go out and into the room a few times, they will appear again. I am guessing that their appearance is randomized, but you can force them to appear by going in and out of a room several times.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 29 August 2018 07:52 PM

That warning sound is giving me goosebumps now

No Lady Kestrel, you should be getting shivers! You must be playing it wrong Smile

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

@SoccerDude - Ah, that is definitely good to know! Saves from having to wonder around aimlessly waiting for one to “show up”!

@Oscar - Haha, I needed that! Grin

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Section 2: Night at the Museum – the original!

Care to refresh your memory?

OK, so we have made it inside something that doesn’t yet look that much like a museum. We’ve learned a little about the museum’s creator and seen some evidence that when the museum was named ‘…of the strange and unusual’ they really weren’t joking. It may look deserted from the outside but clearly there are already visitors here…

I think it’s time to get into the museum proper, which you can do through the door to the left of the fireplace in the office – the exact one I told you not to go through last time, so check back a page or two if you need to remind yourself.

If you’ve never played before or don’t really remember it there is quite a lot to take in, if you know it well you’ll zoom round in no time.

Further explanations/excuses!

Although the first section ended at sort of a simple break point, or at least a convenient bottleneck I could be confident about, the rest of the museum doesn’t carve up so easily. We will play the remainder of the game in probably three further sections governed by some (hopefully) simple rules.

I should say that while I am 99% happy there are no loop holes in my logic, you never know, so fingers crossed!

Following these rules means that you should be limited to a certain set of locations and that 2 puzzles you will come across (in addition to the one I will tell you not to solve below) will not be solve-able in this section. I say this because if anyone uses a walkthrough to get past those two puzzles it will completely break the structure of the playthrough!

I think common sense will be enough here. If you have seen no clues at all as to how to solve a puzzle which obviously needs clues then just park the puzzle until next section. I can post pics of the puzzles not to solve if anyone’s worried, but as I said, common sense should be enough.

Play Until…

You can roam as far as you will but for 3 restrictions:

1. No lifts! Stairs are absolutely fine but don’t yet go into any lifts - except the two you have already travelled in. If you’re not sure, a lift is any door which has a diagonal pattern on it and has a corresponding puzzle to solve – just like the one’s you’ve already seen, and like this one shown below:

2. Do not solve the puzzle and go through the following door. It can be found in the main hall with a large black obelisk on either side and a black Wadjet Eye above it.

3. You will come across the area shown below in your explorations. It’s not too difficult to work out what it might be, but don’t touch it for now.

You have ONE WEEK to play through the next section which will end on THURSDAY 6 SEPTEMBER

Enjoy, and I hope you will all ‘evil-laugh’ along with the game as it starts. I literally always do! Laughing

MMM-HMM-HMM-HEH-HEH-HEH!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Optional things to discuss

Once again, use them, ignore them, whatever you like.

1. Continuity is not a word that old Professor Windlenot seems to have been familiar with! Indeed, so far rough edges and sudden changes seems to have been the order of the day in the museum. That sounds to me like it should be terrible! Is it?

2. (SOH) – Anything you’ve noticed for the first time or had clean forgotten? How is your memory of the museum?

3. (FT) Do you feel you’re ‘getting the hang’ of the game?

4. From what we’ve seen so far, what’s your favourite room or exhibit?

5. One thing we can hardly fail to mention is the soundtrack. As esoteric and changeable as the museum itself, if there is one thing Shivers isn’t lacking in it’s atmosphere! Have you got a favourite room theme or do any of them particularly stand out?

6. Just for fun – Prof. W’s museum covers a lot of subject matter (and we haven’t seen the half of it yet). What’s the weirdest/strangest/coolest museum you’ve ever been to?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 30 August 2018 02:25 AM

I say this because if anyone uses a walkthrough to get past those two puzzles it will completely break the structure of the playthrough!

Isn’t using a walkthrough entirely against the point of a CPT???

If you have seen no clues at all as to how to solve a puzzle which obviously needs clues then just park the puzzle until next section. I can post pics of the puzzles not to solve if anyone’s worried, but as I said, common sense should be enough.

Is it possible to have clues to other puzzles that you can try on these? Or will the clues for these puzzles be immediately obvious once we come across them in a next section?
I just ask to avoid wasting time on a puzzle I can’t solve yet. Tongue

1. No lifts! Stairs are absolutely fine but don’t yet go into any lifts - except the two you have already travelled in.

Rtrooney talked about hidden passages that make lifts obsolete. Is it possible to break the “no lifts” rule by finding them? Or can they only be found *after* you’ve used the lift (i.e. “opened from the far side”)?

Pardon the black-box testing nature of these last questions. Chalk it up to professional deformation.  Crazy

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

When I said you would need to use the elevator three or four time, I forgot about the bedroom. So make that five or six times.  Smile  You will need to use the elevator to get to the second floor. Once there, You will be able to access passageways that will make riding the elevator unnecessary. Of course if you like the elevator puzzles and the artificially-inflated scores they provide, you are free to ride the elevators as much as you want.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

TimovieMan - 30 August 2018 09:11 AM

Isn’t using a walkthrough entirely against the point of a CPT???

Let’s make that call at the end of this section! There are one or two puzzles that won’t be in everyone’s top 10 favourite puzzle types…

Is it possible to have clues to other puzzles that you can try on these? Or will the clues for these puzzles be immediately obvious once we come across them in a next section?
I just ask to avoid wasting time on a puzzle I can’t solve yet. Tongue

I think it will be very obvious, but I can post pics or descriptions if you think it would help.

Rtrooney talked about hidden passages that make lifts obsolete. Is it possible to break the “no lifts” rule by finding them? Or can they only be found *after* you’ve used the lift (i.e. “opened from the far side”)?

The way I have set it out it wonn’t be (that’s my 99% certainty, so let’s go with ‘shouldn’t be’!) and as to secret passages, obviously that completely innocuous and absolutely flat wall in the 3rd restriction above has nothing to do with it… Shifty Eyed Shifty Eyed Shifty Eyed

Pardon the black-box testing nature of these last questions. Chalk it up to professional deformation.  Crazy

A true Adventure Gamer always scouts things out in advance!  Wink

Also, I don’t know about anyone else, but It takes me several goes to make a post in this thread because the forum software thinks they are spam. I mean i’m sure many would agree, but have a heart forum software!

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

There is a lot to do in this section, and some rooms are creeping me out, especially since I got Ixupied again.  (Shiver, shiver!)  My flashback list has grown quite a bit, thanks to the library, and some of the things are starting to make sense.  I’ve found different tops and bottoms to the pots, but nothing that goes together yet.  The rotating skull rings are very intriguing, but I haven’t found out what they do yet.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 30 August 2018 03:19 PM

Also, I don’t know about anyone else, but It takes me several goes to make a post in this thread because the forum software thinks they are spam. I mean i’m sure many would agree, but have a heart forum software!

That “The form you submitted contained the following errors” screen we once had or the old “Unable to post a reply” error or something else entirely?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Woo-hoo!  I got one! Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Right now I’m just looking around and turning around when I hear the dreaded sound. An activity that may be as important as finding the pots/lids. Nevertheless, there are several locations I remember being on the first floor that I just can’t seem to find. Neptune is the main one. I remember there being two pot pieces in there plus a hiding spot.

I did get to the second floor. Not a hard task. Forgive me, but I accidentally opened a panel that we weren’t supposed to open. On the theory that it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission, I went through the portal and looked around. I didn’t so a serious search, but I did find a few potential Ixupi hiding places, but no bases or tops. Sorry.

On a technical note: I remember that the cupboard you can open in the library as being a hiding spot for any pot top/lid you have in inventory. I tried to stash my pot part in there, but couldn’t do it. What part of my memory is failing me?

And, I may not be playing for the next two or three days. RL kicks in. I don’t know if I read what the end date was on this episode.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Oh, dear!  And one just got me.  Meh  (A new warning sound has been added to my list.}

Continuity is not a word that old Professor Windlenot seems to have been familiar with! Indeed, so far rough edges and sudden changes seems to have been the order of the day in the museum. That sounds to me like it should be terrible! Is it?
No, I like the surprise of discovering what’s in the next room, and there is some logical organization to his displays.  Just like a real museum, there’s always something interesting just around the corner.

Do you feel you’re ‘getting the hang’ of the game?
Yes, I’ve learned that listening is one of the key factors in the game, and also that just because I’ve seen an object from one angle does not mean that I’ve seen all that I’m meant to see.  Looking back and/or from the other side is important.

The library feels like home, and the creepiest is the funerary rites section.

5. One thing we can hardly fail to mention is the soundtrack. As esoteric and changeable as the museum itself, if there is one thing Shivers isn’t lacking in it’s atmosphere! Have you got a favourite room theme or do any of them particularly stand out?
I really like all the music in the game, but the piece that stands out for me is the siren’s song.  It’s very ethereal and lovely.

6. Just for fun – Prof. W’s museum covers a lot of subject matter (and we haven’t seen the half of it yet). What’s the weirdest/strangest/coolest museum you’ve ever been to?
I love all kinds of museums, and always find something unusual or noteworthy on display.  A couple of years ago, the British Museum had a great display of mummies from different periods and places which they had scanned in layers (CT or MRI, I forget which).  With a turn of the dial, the viewer could travel down from the case to the wrappings, clothing and then the skeleton.  Tooth decay, arthritis, and injuries showed up clearly along with jewelry, fastenings, and other possessions.  It was fascinating.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I roamed around the first floor and solved a couple of puzzles. The Ixupis got me 2 times, but I reloaded each time. I noticed you actually lose points every time you get attacked by an Ixupi. Besides bragging rights, should we care for the points? I wish there was some kind of markers that tell you what is interactable in a scene. I am just wildly clicking everywhere in every scene, for the fear that I might miss some item or clue somewhere.

3. (FT) Do you feel you’re ‘getting the hang’ of the game?
For the sake of this playthrough, I will consider myself a FT because I remember nothing of the game. I am getting the hang of it, but can’t say I am thrilled with the navigation. It is very easy to miss a crucial spot.

The Egyptian themed one. There is something intriguing about the Egyptian civilization that makes it interesting to me.

Definitely the one that you hear in your way to the basement. Feels very urgent, like you just want to rush through it.

When we were in Barcelona we visited a chocolate museum which was pretty awesome. They had some beautiful statues made of chocolate, like Messi or the pieta.

Edit: I found the pix from the museum here on the forums Smile
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/32/P195/#42553

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top