• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 48 - Shivers

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Well, I went back and explored the tool room, and I wonder if I have to worry about the missing ax. Gasp Having had one Ixupi encounter I couldn’t avoid, I think I may have avoided another in the office when I heard a similar weird noise by the fireplace

The movement is what I expected.  I always try to look all around me (and especially behind) before moving on so I can recognize the place if I have to go back.  Although the colors have made my eyes water a few times, the graininess of the graphics hasn’t bothered me at all.  Some of the screens were too dark at first, even with my computer’s brightness up all the way, but changing the brightness setting in the game menu did the trick.

I like the voice work and the music so far, and I also came across something funny.  After clicking the dead man several times, he talkedGrin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished part 1 and so far, the puzzles are straightforward and logical. Just like I recall, it does not seem scary one bit. The Ixupi look very cartoonish, like a Tasmanian Devil from Looney Tunes, or some form of pokemon.

- What about those graphics?! Those are some …interesting 90’s colours and textures aren’t they?

The graphics feel very dated. Most realistic looking games from that era feel dated graphically, unlike a cartoony stylized game like Day of the Tentacle for example, that still looks good today.

– How are you getting on with the slideshow movement controls? Easy to use or keep getting lost in weird circles?

I prefer full 3D but so far, the areas to go to have been limited so the movement is pretty straightforward. I haven’t gotten lost or anything.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

2. If you’re a Shivers Old Hand (SOH) – Anything you’ve noticed for the first time or had clean forgotten?
I forgot to pick up the book that rtrooney had mentioned. I’ve played the game several times, last time a couple of years ago, but my memory for things like picking up inventory is not great.

3. What about those graphics?! Those are some …interesting 90’s colours and textures aren’t they?
I always liked the bizarre, intense colors.
“9: The Last Resort” from 1997 had similar colors.

4. (SOH) – How does it feel to be limited to the area we’re limited to at the moment?
I’ll probably replay so I don’t have to do that elevator puzzle more than I have to. It will be interesting to see if the 2nd Ixupi is still in the same place. He was in the same place as Lady K found him, and I know he was there in at least one of my previous playthroughs.

5. (FT) – How are you getting on with the slideshow movement controls? Easy to use or keep getting lost in weird circles?
No problems in this area.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

SoccerDude - 23 August 2018 08:19 PM

The graphics feel very dated. Most realistic looking games from that era feel dated graphically, unlike a cartoony stylized game like Day of the Tentacle for example, that still looks good today.

That happens a lot. Whether it’s books, movies, etc., the more you try to make something “current,” the faster it becomes dated.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 681

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Intense Degree - 23 August 2018 03:58 AM

2. If you’re a Shivers Old Hand (SOH) – Anything you’ve noticed for the first time or had clean forgotten?

I thought I had seen everything this game has to offer but it seems Lady K may have stumbled on to something I never knew about, despite many playthroughs! Tongue

3. What about those graphics?! Those are some …interesting 90’s colours and textures aren’t they?

I actually really like the look of it. Once again probably because of the nostalgic feel I get due to the simple textures and graphics much like the original Myst and Rhem games. Though it is much more vibrant!

4. (SOH) – How does it feel to be limited to the area we’re limited to at the moment?

Obviously I’m itching to move forward but I think it’s a good stopping point. I’m assuming we can access Windlenot’s bedroom correct Wink

6. Just for fun – Urban Explorers are average people who explore abandoned buildings/structures for fun (at least that’s what they’re called in the UK). Is it legal? Well… aside from the probable trespass, possible breaking and entering and potential criminal damage… err… maybe! Is it safe? Well… err Wink In some ways it’s really quite similar to our AFGNCAAP here in Shivers. So what about you, have you ever… would you ever… if so, where? (https://www.theurbanexplorer.co.uk/ if you’re interested in more info)

I used to live close to a textile mill that was abandoned in the 1970’s. Me, my brother, and our neighborhood friends spent a lot of time exploring, hanging out, playing, and camping out in it! Luckily we never got caught, though we did have a few close calls Wink

This message will self destruct in 3… 2… 1… BOOM!!!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Ha!  The talking dead man mystery may have a solution.  After reading the hieroglyphs journal and clicking all around the body, I clicked near the rock to the left of his head, and he said, “I don’t feel so good.”  It startled me and made me laugh, but I wasn’t able to trigger it again.  I thought it was an Easter egg, but when Sir Beardalot sent me a PM saying he couldn’t duplicate it either, I began to think of other possibilities. 

My sister, who lives with me, came down with a bad cold and a sore throat yesterday.  I’m wondering if she might have said something just as I clicked the screen.  As I said to Sir B., it sounded like it came from the computer, but acoustics can be deceiving sometimes.  I asked her, but she doesn’t remember saying it when I was playing.  However, she does chatter a lot to herself and the dogs, and the living room where I have the computer is open to her bedroom and the kitchen.  With her cold, I could have mistaken her voice for a man’s.  If anyone else has heard the poor dead guy talk, let me know.  Otherwise, I think I’ve solved a real-life puzzle.  Laughing

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

FWIW, I took the elevator back down to the lake to see if I could replicate your experience. I could not. So now when I go back to the office I will be into two more elevator rides than I planned. The next episode starts next Thursday. Think I may start over.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I wasn’t able to get any response out of the body. If there’s an Easter Egg associated with it, there must be something else you have to do first to trigger it. That’s not impossible though. Consider the sequence of clicks you have to do to trigger an Easter Egg later in the game
- In the “Man’s Inhumanity to Man” room, look at the skeleton in the cage. Click on the glass, pitcher, and hand of the skeleton to hear “I feel your pain”.
http://sierrachest.com/index.php?a=games&id=186&fld=eggs

And a couple of random observations…

The phone on the desk had its cord cut. Who do you think did that?

I notice the reference to Schwartz in the notebook on the desk. Schwartz was mentioned in the Prologue.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

Lady K!!! It really is an Easter Egg! I am able to reproduce it over and over by clicking on 2 particular spots in a certain order in the close up view of the dead man Windlenot’s corpse Smile I’ve been unable to find any reference to it anywhere online, this could very well be an undocumented and unknown Egg?! Man, wouldn’t that be cool if you were the first person to discover this, 23 years after its release! haha Wink

I don’t know if this is the exact or only way to do it but as I said I can reproduce it every time by clicking on the symbol he drew with his finger, and then his hat, repeat this a couple of times.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 23 August 2018 06:48 PM
Oscar - 23 August 2018 08:57 AM

I installed my CD copy I bought back in the 90s to see if my opinion on the game had changed…. and I don’t think it will. Parts of the game are promising but the elevator puzzles are insufferable…

Take heart! If memory serves, [spoiler]you will need to use the elevator only three more times[/spoiler].

Well I’ve already used it three times and considering I left an Ixupi container which I will need to retrieve later that means it will be well above that.

Joined 2015-02-06

PM

I don’t find the elevator puzzles to be that difficult. Nor do I mind doing them each time. I’m guessing it’s an annoyance/repetition factor that is bothering you guys? I get it if that’s the case. Once you solve a puzzle it should be solved and not have to repeat it over and over. Obviously it is game filler, but yeah doesn’t bother me Smile

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The trouble with the elevator puzzles is that they get more difficult the more you use the elevator. A 4x4 or 5x5 might not be so bad, but wait until you get an 8x8 with inconveniently placed blocking squares. They also bring the game to a halt when you want to be working on something else. Eventually you do find another route so you don’t have to use the elevator.

I’m going to have to go back and find that Easter Egg now.

EDIT—I found the Easter Egg.
Triggered just like Sir Beardalot said.
The voice doesn’t sound like Windlenot though.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thank you for confirming that one, Sir B.!  Other than realizing I mistook the hat for a rock, you’ve made my day! Grin

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oscar - 25 August 2018 02:51 AM

Well I’ve already used it three times and considering I left an Ixupi container which I will need to retrieve later that means it will be well above that.

Well, I guess you used it to get to the office. Then realized you missed the book, so you had to go back down to get it. And then you had to use it again to get back to the office. I honestly don’t remember whether we need to go down to the boat again once you have the book. Once you leave the office you will need to use the elevator to get to the second floor. However you will be able to find secret passages which render the elevator irrelevant.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Is the hieroglyph book supposed to go into inventory when I pick it up?  Mine didn’t.

Edit:  I went back to a save and triggered the Easter egg again.  He says, “I don’t feel too well” in a southern US accent.  Too funny!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top