• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Why does so many AG Kickstarter and Indiegogo projects fail?

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Of course it was bound to happen - in the beginning, Kickstarter projects were scarce and coming mostly from the prominent game designers - thus the success percentage was high, around 80%. With time and Kickstarter popularity everyone and their dog will start a campaign and success percentage will drop significantly.

However - “fail” is not the exact word, because some of these campaigns will learn something, continue with the production or even start the campaign all over again. After the recent “failure” of The Realm for example, the authors noted they’re determined to continue with the game development.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

can i just say who ever launched a kickstarter that failed to reach its goal would have been stupid enough not to think of three things

1- are the gamers they were targeting are better or lets just say different than the ones Tim Al, Jane , Mark were targeting !? ...
do i need to explain that.

2.  it is just like this

3. and let me speak of myself here (as if i weren’t already) i would not pay (as a? AGer) a cent until i get rewarded for what i had spent and pledged with for others earlier so, Hold your horses over there you are not that good as the already mentioned Devs.
or at least its not your time yet.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Some of the concepts aren’t appealing while some just set their funding targets too high. The AG genre is quite niche these days and it seems only a renowned icon of the genre can bring out the big backing.

I thought this project had a nice plot but look at the funding target vs. pledges made: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/313725596/devils-cove-adventure-game

Personally I think The Realm and AR-K are two nice looking projects but again, they haven’t have the name power behind them. The Realm managed £94,527 of £195,000 which is a good effort and if they had asked for £100,000 they probably would have crossed the line. AR-K is at $79,181 and needs $100,000 with 11 hours to go so it looks unlikely. If a name like Al Lowe was attached to either project, they would probably have double or triple the pledges by now. I don’t know how much a game costs to make but I think a number of these projects would succeed if they could somehow make the funding target a smaller figure.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

From what I’m seeing in the data, crowdfunding is particularly problematic for adventure game developers who seek funding in the region between $30,000 and $200,000. Crowdfunding loves big names (obviously). It also works (moderately well) for dedicated hobbyists. It’s the projects in between that are a rather tough pitch.

Total Posts: 5055

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

tomimt - 26 May 2013 08:20 AM

According to KS stats, there has been 5409 game projects. Out of those projects 1745 have succeeded, which is about 30% success rate. So that in mind every game project is more likely to fail than succeed in KS, not just adventure games in general.

I think we need to define terms. The 1745 succeeded in reaching their funding goals. I’m sure KS doesn’t track the number that actually delivered KS-funded product. I would guess that number would be quite a bit lower.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 26 May 2013 06:33 PM
tomimt - 26 May 2013 08:20 AM

According to KS stats, there has been 5409 game projects. Out of those projects 1745 have succeeded, which is about 30% success rate. So that in mind every game project is more likely to fail than succeed in KS, not just adventure games in general.

I think we need to define terms. The 1745 succeeded in reaching their funding goals. I’m sure KS doesn’t track the number that actually delivered KS-funded product. I would guess that number would be quite a bit lower.

As far as Kickstarter goes their defintion for success is pretty simple: reach your goal. As far as project completion and delivery goes, it’s fully on the project creators. So in that sense every KS project to reaches its goal is a success in KS eyes, while it might fail to deliver in the end. But I don’t think KS tracks the projects that fail.

It would be nice to see the numbers for projects that have managed to deliver. I know of a couple of games, that have failed to deliver and I’ve even backed one myself, which is in all likelyhood dead in the water, as the project has managed to spend all its money.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top