• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Lady K, please remove my vote for Hobb’s Barrow. I’ll reconsider joining if it wins, but I’d really rather play The Neverhood.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 5613

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Voting for CP #75 will end at midnight GMT on Wednesday, October 26.

The Excavation of Hob’s Barrow (4) - Doom, Rtrooney, Sylv, Lady Kestrel
The Neverhood (4) - Karlok (leader), Charophycean, Walas74, Doom

The Moment of Silence (2) - Chrissie, Rtrooney

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

What is the status of Neverhood? I didn’t find it on either GOG or Steam. I Googled it and found it described as abandonware and available on only one site that I never heard of. I guess the basic question is If you don’t already own the game, how legitimate/safe is it to download from an abandonware site?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5840

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

There’s a few copies of the game available on Ebay if you can afford to pay the prices that are being asked. Unfortunately I can’t & there’s no way I’d risk a download from an Abandonware site myself otherwise I would have been interested.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t think of Ebay. Prices vary from $50 for a used game in a box to $500 for a new, large-box game. Both are way out of my price range for a game that I’d only buy to play a AGCPT. And, was looking for confirmation on the abandonware site download. Out of my comfort range as well. I was thinking of it as an alternative if the games end in a tie with the tie-break being Neverhood has a leader. But it doesn’t seem to be a realistic alternative now.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, if I remember correctly, I have an ScummVm version stored in an external drive, and I remember it run fine.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 17 October 2022 08:23 PM

Well, if I remember correctly, I have an ScummVm version stored in an external drive, and I remember it run fine.

Well if you have access to a legitimate version of the game, you’re golden.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

rtrooney - 17 October 2022 08:53 PM

Hmmm… I meant a functional and safe copy. I guess that in orden to respect the rules of the site, it’s better to discuss this in private.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

walas74 - 18 October 2022 04:17 AM
rtrooney - 17 October 2022 08:53 PM

Hmmm… I meant a functional and safe copy. I guess that in orden to respect the rules of the site, it’s better to discuss this in private.

Well, we’ve discussed in private. I have no problem with anybody doing what they decide to do. But I will ask how many people who voted for the game have a legal copy. Functional does not equal legal. My guess would be that Karlok has the only legal copy.

What is the AG stance on AGCPTs that can only be played using abandonware downloads that it does not support.

Just to make sure that nobody thinks I am making this comment in order to promote another game, I withdraw my vote for Excavation of Hobbs Barrow.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

I am not going to encourage abandonware. I will just ask something: is there any profit for the creators of the game or for the original publisher if someone buys a legal copy in eBay?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

A question I will leave to the Mods to answer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2082

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I was planning to get a GOG version, but if they don’t have one (in 2022!), I’m ready to download it somewhere else. I bought a couple of copies during my lifetime and supported Armikrog’s kickstarter, so I don’t feel bad about it. I’m also out of cd roms currently, so another physical copy won’t work anyway.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2082

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

As for Hob’s Barrow, it’s available on Gog, I already downloaded it and planning to play in any case. I was actually hoping the developer would visit this thread and suggest to lead the cpt - that would be great and stimulate more people to join! Isn’t he a member of these forums?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 457

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

walas74 - 19 October 2022 09:21 PM

I am not going to encourage abandonware. I will just ask something: is there any profit for the creators of the game or for the original publisher if someone buys a legal copy in eBay?

It would seem to me that if you purchase a legal copy of the game from a seller on eBay, it is considered a resale (unless the seller is the publisher). The original purchase is what earned the creator/publisher their “profit”. For example, if you privately sell your used car to someone, the manufacturer doesn’t receive any remuneration, right? Why would it be any different with selling previously purchased legal copies of a video game?

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Hmmm, sorry, my question was kind of ironic. That’s is exactly my point. Creators and publisher earn the same as if you get the game from another mean.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top