• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 19 March 2022 10:16 PM
Adv_Lvr - 19 March 2022 11:23 AM

Can we consider Syberia 4 to be an AAA game or just AA? I know Quantic Dream has an AAA adventure game reportedly in development, but it is years away from release.

Is Syberia 4 going to sell millions of copies or in the hundreds of thousands? Did this game, like Detroit Became Human have a budget of millions of dollars?

To me, it does not matter, it’s a great game either way and $39.95 is a good price compared to Sony charging $69.95 for AAA games.

Heart

I think you are being a bit picky here. There are companies with staff and budgets that intend to create games that will generate profits for the company and its shareholders. Whether they are A. AA or AAA isn’t material. Their business models separate themselves from the indies.

As does the final product in almost every case. While an indie product is often sited for minor flaws, voice acting, music, graphics, continuity to name a few, those flaws are rarely found in any of the “A” games.

As for Sony. I don’t recall any non-platformer game they produced. Which puts them, and Nintendo, et al, in a whole different category.

Sony owns 20 first party studios that spend millions of dollars making story based AAA games like the just released Horizon Forbidden West.

Sony funded the AAA adventure game Detroit Became Human which had a budget in the millions and sold over 5 million copies on the PS4.

An AA game is a Mid-Tier that has a moderate budget, something more expensive or larger in scope than an Indie Game but something not as expensive or large in scope as an AAA game like The Last of Us Part 2.
Some famous studios known for producing quality AA games are Devolver Digital, Microids, Spiders, Warhorse Studios, CD Projekt Red, Obsidian Entertainment, and Platinum Games.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

I’ve been playing it for +6 hours now, and I am fascinated. I love it.
Some remarks:

- It is stunningly beautiful. Really stunning.

- The game takes its time. Characters take their time to speak, and there are many cinegraphic moments (do you say it like that?). However, while i hate that in other games, I really enjoy it here, because everything is so beautiful.

- There is a big role again for automatons, which I really like.

- The story is intriguing, and weaves the lives of many characters together.

- Playing different characters during different times, and so reveal more of the story and bring you closer to solution of puzzles is clever.

- The puzzles fit in the story. They are, until now, not difficult.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The only thing that worries me, is the puzzles. I like some brain teasers in my games. But as long as it is not a walking simulator than that is ok

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

sylv - 20 March 2022 05:30 AM

I’ve been playing it for +6 hours now, and I am fascinated. I love it.
Some remarks:

- It is stunningly beautiful. Really stunning.

- The game takes its time. Characters take their time to speak, and there are many cinegraphic moments (do you say it like that?). However, while i hate that in other games, I really enjoy it here, because everything is so beautiful.

- There is a big role again for automatons, which I really like.

- The story is intriguing, and weaves the lives of many characters together.

- Playing different characters during different times, and so reveal more of the story and bring you closer to solution of puzzles is clever.

- The puzzles fit in the story. They are, until now, not difficult.

Ok, ok, after I finish The Black Mirror 3 which I am in the middle of I’ll play this game. It’s got awards like Aggies written all over it. Best Traditional Adventure for sure, most likely best graphics also. It will get my people’s choice awards at the very least. It does sound like a real treat and must play for fans like me of the first game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

The World Before keeps getting better as it goes on, painting more details onto the portraits of its characters lives. I’m glad the Syberia series had another meaningful story to tell, and that it’s done it so well.

Taking cues from other modern adventure games, The World Before has borrowed Life is Strange’s “introspection moments.” Optional hotspots where the character will pause and reflect on the story’s events, but with the magnificent camera work, environment art, and score of Sybera, you can really get lost in these moments sometimes.

From where I was previously there have been some meatier puzzles. It’s not consistently the case, though. It’s a mixed bag of mostly easy to solve puzzles with occasionally more thinking involved. Ideally would have liked more of a challenge but It’s still been fun.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Adv_Lvr - 20 March 2022 11:49 AM

Ok, ok, after I finish The Black Mirror 3 which I am in the middle of I’ll play this game. It’s got awards like Aggies written all over it. Best Traditional Adventure for sure, most likely best graphics also. It will get my people’s choice awards at the very least. It does sound like a real treat and must play for fans like me of the first game.

Lol you haven’t even played the game, yet you are already awarding it all kind of awards))

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

What’s the idea of censoring Nazis as “Brown shadows”,Spielberg never do that?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Doom - 20 March 2022 02:36 PM

Lol you haven’t even played the game, yet you are already awarding it all kind of awards))

I’ve noticed a lot of people awarding Syberia 3 as a dud as well, without having played it.

Gabe - 20 March 2022 04:29 PM

It’s probably because it’s a fantasy game and Sokal etc wants to keep the locations and history fantastical. Although they do mention Paris at times, which I found strange.

I think anyone old enough to play the game would not miss the Nazi metaphor.

AKA Charo

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Charophycean - 20 March 2022 06:10 PM

I’ve noticed a lot of people awarding Syberia 3 as a dud as well, without having played it.

It’s probably because it’s a fantasy game and Sokal etc wants to keep the locations and history fantastical. Although they do mention Paris at times, which I found strange.

I think anyone old enough to play the game would not miss the Nazi metaphor.

I for one played the Syberia 3 demo and was not impressed. It’s a Dud because it had very poor sales and poor reviews. Games that have a demo that sucked, got poor reviews and have poor sales don’t get my $$$.

Heart

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played the demo and simply loved it. We need an Aggie for best demo for sure. Also the reviews have me sold. I’ve bought the game and started it, BM3 is on hold. I have to tell you, Syberia 4 is the most beautiful game I’ve played on my Alienware computer, simply jaw dropping graphics…….can’t wait to finish it and play it again…

Heart

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 20 March 2022 09:34 PM

It’s a Dud because it had very poor sales and poor reviews.

It got poor reviews because it was buggy as all hell on release. I complained about that too.

As for poor sales - want to know how many adventure games in my top 50 or so also have poor sales?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Adv_Lvr - 20 March 2022 09:39 PM

I played the demo and simply loved it. We need an Aggie for best demo for sure. Also the reviews have me sold. I’ve bought the game and started it, BM3 is on hold. I have to tell you, Syberia 4 is the most beautiful game I’ve played on my Alienware computer, simply jaw dropping graphics…….can’t wait to finish it and play it again…

I think you rely too much on other people’s opinions. And even if it happens to be a masterpiece, this year only started and there’s plenty of time for other masterpieces to come. That said, I’m not arguing about Syberia 4 itself as I haven’t played it - and there’s a big chance I won’t as it requires better hardware than mine, plus I was left disappointed by that demo, in many ways (storytelling, lack of challenge, poor optimization). Awarding it with “the best demo” might be also a bit of exaggeration)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 96

Joined 2017-12-26

PM

In the same way, the game calls Jews ‘Vagarans’, and Austria ‘Osthertal’.
I think it is to make it more ‘distant’, more a world of its own.
Everybody will make the connection, but with the ‘real’ words, it would be more difficult to make up a history of a fictional town.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Doom - 21 March 2022 01:29 AM

I think you rely too much on other people’s opinions. And even if it happens to be a masterpiece, this year only started and there’s plenty of time for other masterpieces to come. That said, I’m not arguing about Syberia 4 itself as I haven’t played it - and there’s a big chance I won’t as it requires better hardware than mine, plus I was left disappointed by that demo, in many ways (storytelling, lack of challenge, poor optimization). Awarding it with “the best demo” might be also a bit of exaggeration)

I have came to realize there are people who absolutely love everything pretty much, and then there are people who are extremely critical like myself. it kind of balances itself out like a ying and yang

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Doom - 21 March 2022 01:29 AM

I’m about 5 hours in and I’m playing on an Alienware gaming computer.  This game utilizes the full graphics potential of my computer. I have the graphics settings on max and, simply put, the game is the most beautiful game I’ve seen in ten years. There is no lag and loss of frame rate.

I’ve played a lot of games in my day and this one has that wow factor that the original Syberia had.

And I am so glad that this game has positive reviews like the original Syberia had. And yes, I see some awards coming this way for the game, we all should be celebrating the return of a classic series.

FYI - it helps to enjoy games to have the right hardware, my Alienware gaming PC and Switch OLED really bring games to life.

Lastly, I will always read reviews of games, in general, highly reviewed games have given me better game experiences than poorly reviewed ones.

Heart

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top