• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What’s wrong with pixel hunting?

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-06-23

PM

Ruins the eyes!  Gasp

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Siddhi - 27 January 2013 11:25 AM

Also, its worth pointing out that in IF games, you can always do a “look” and get a description of all the objects in the room. You may have to do a couple of steps to get item (examine specific parts, do some action etc) but at least you knew which objects you could interact with.

So I disagree that hotspot markers make games easier. I use them always when entering a new screen. This is no different than doing a look command in IF games. If the main challenge in the game is in hiding the object then there is something wrong with the game design. The puzzle should be in how to use/interact with objects, not hunting them on the screen.

Hmm, I’m not sure. The upgrade of graphic adventures was being able to use your eyes to distinguish objects as they appear visually. The objects in IF were given to you as words. But hotspot markers mean objects are still given as words rather than images. You move the mouse to a magnifying glass and it tells you “clock”. Scanning the screen with your eyes for a hotspot indicator is completely different from scanning it for a shape you recognise as an object. I know that my own mind (or maybe only my eyesight) switches off using hotspot indicators as I systematically click on each one awaiting a verbal description, although I can’t say that everyone’s mind does this.

And pixel hunting can be fun. Here’s proof!

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Oscar - 28 January 2013 06:32 PM

Yeah sure, like I said before I dont mind hidden object games. Because there you know that you have to find a particular object in a scene, and also what the object is.

The annoyance is not about the pixel hunting as such, but the fact that if you get stuck because you didnt find an object, then you don’t know that. And you have to go through all the previous screens looking for things which may be there or may not be there. You dont know what object you are looking for. You don’t know if the object is there on this screen or some other screen. If you scan a screen and dont find anything, is it because you missed the object or maybe there is nothing on this screen. You dont know if you are stuck because you missed an object or because you have all the objects but are not able to solve the puzzle. That is what is frustrating.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I firmly believe that “pixel hunting” is OK provided two things:

1) You are clearly hinted that something needs to be found and is concealed somehow.

2) It makes sense in the context.

So, a game that requires you to randomly pick some tool that blends with the screen is of course failing. But then you have games like Maupiti Island (I’m sure that one rings a bell), which happens to feature the most satisfying pixel hunting ever. In this detective game, you know when you have to look for clues and painstakingly research every location. Except it’s loads of fun and finding a hidden item can lead to wonderful “AHA!” moments.

I love games that require you to pay attention to your surroundings. Certainly, always in a fair and rewarding manner.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yea baby !

Image Attachments

16244-550x-title.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Am I the only one who is still looking for Waldo in the picture above?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Sefir - 29 January 2013 08:37 AM

Here’s a walkthrough (spoilers!)

Grin

(Actually, I haven’t found him yet either)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Not , i pressed my hotspot revealer long time ago Wink

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 28 January 2013 06:32 PM

Scanning the screen with your eyes for a hotspot indicator is completely different from scanning it for a shape you recognise as an object. I know that my own mind (or maybe only my eyesight) switches off using hotspot indicators as I systematically click on each one awaiting a verbal description, although I can’t say that everyone’s mind does this.

What i like to do myself, is that i start by trying to find all the objects in a scene myself, and then i use the hotspot indicator to make sure i haven’t missed anything.
Finding the objects yourself can be rewarding, but i dont want to get stucked in a game simply because i have missed some more or less hidden objects.

So yes a bit of pixel hunting can be fun, but as i see it it is not really what adventure games should be about, and i hate games that havent got a hotspot indicator.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

He’s either that little dot on the ship way out on the horizon or someone buried him in the sand. Laughing

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I’ll take pixel hunts over hotspot highlighting any day!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Oscar - 29 January 2013 08:58 AM

(Actually, I haven’t found him yet either)

He’s just under the start of your arrow, behind the rightmost part of the green-and-white windscreen.

But I had to look it up in my own Where’s Waldo book, though. That picture isn’t clear enough… Tongue

And I agree with Agustín. The object either needs to be visible (not looking for a grass green object on a grass green background) or you need to know that you’re looking for something (either through hints or simply context).

Iznogood - 29 January 2013 10:34 AM

What i like to do myself, is that i start by trying to find all the objects in a scene myself, and then i use the hotspot indicator to make sure i haven’t missed anything.
Finding the objects yourself can be rewarding, but i dont want to get stucked in a game simply because i have missed some more or less hidden objects.

^ This. Totally.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 70

Joined 2004-02-18

PM

Adventure games should be about solving puzzles, exploring, character interaction and other fun stuff. It should not be a test of your eyesight.

Yeah, sure, in the right context “pixel hunting” can work. But there is very little that is more annoying than being stuck for ages and not understanding why, only to realize you’ve missed a small object in one of many available screens.

A problem with adventure games, that you don’t find in hidden object games for instance, is that what you can and can’t pick up will often feel completely random. There might be tons of seemingly interesting object on the screen, but most of them are nothing as far as the game is concerned. They’re just visual clutter. Unless you are specifically looking for a certain object, scanning the environment to find these “random” objects is nothing but a pointless waste of time.

For pixel hunting to work as a proper, fair gameplay mechanic, you need to know what you’re looking for and have a general idea of where to find it. In other words, the hidden objects can not be things you don’t know that you need yet, and if they’re not where you’d logically expect, there must be clues as to their whereabouts.

(I should add that “what you’re looking for” could mean an unknown object in the right context, for instance if you’re looking closely at a crime scene and searching for clues)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 29 January 2013 02:18 PM

I’ll take pixel hunts over hotspot highlighting any day!

Finally someone is talking Wink

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top