• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Frog Detective Thread

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I feel like Frog Detective, now having a front page review, is more than deserving its own thread (started by me). I would love to discuss this simple (but emotionally complex), series of games. And if you haven’t heard of (or played) Frog Detective 1, 2, or 3 then shame on you I will wait eagerly to answer any questions.

Image Attachments

images_(1).jpeg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Okidoki, here’s my question. I tried the first one and gave up after 10 minutes because of the long dialogues and having to click every second just to continue the conversation. Is the rest of the game the same? If the answer is yes, then I won’t bother you again.
I guess I know why you started this thread…

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’m not sure. But the answer is “probably”. For the reason that it’s an adventure game with no voice acting, and I can’t think of any adventure game with no voice acting that doesn’t need me to click to move the dialogue forward. Some people are fast readers, some are slow (like me). The game’s not a mind reader.

If it sounds like I’m defending the game, I definitely am. I’ve made a thread identifying my self-preference with the game, and therefore identifying myself with the game. So Charophycean needs to defend it and Charophycean’s opinion of it, otherwise Charophycean’s honor, pride and very being is at stake. Thus, it is 110% crucial that Charophycean is right and Karlok is wrong.

AKA Charo

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Yeah, I get it. Actually, I got it the first time. You may have missed the second part of my post. Or maybe you didn’t. Whatever. Anyway, you’re right. And I am wrong.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 26 April 2023 10:49 PM

For the reason that it’s an adventure game with no voice acting, and I can’t think of any adventure game with no voice acting that doesn’t need me to click to move the dialogue forward.

Actually quite a few adventure games have a text speed slider somewhere in the settings. Of course, it is more common with older games, after voice acting became commonplace, the dialogue is usually timed by the audio.

You can still find it in some games though.
I also seem to recall seeing a setting that asks whether the text goes forward by timer or whether the player must click after every text screen. I have no idea which game it was though.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 28 April 2023 06:26 AM

Actually quite a few adventure games have a text speed slider somewhere in the settings. Of course, it is more common with older games, after voice acting became commonplace, the dialogue is usually timed by the audio.

You can still find it in some games though.
I also seem to recall seeing a setting that asks whether the text goes forward by timer or whether the player must click after every text screen. I have no idea which game it was though.

To be honest, I’d forgotten all about the useful text sliders. Not in this game though.

Here’s why I HATE having to hit enter every single second/every single line with 1-10 words: Smalltalk. Filler bullshit.

Phone ringing… <enter>

Hello? <enter>
It’s the supervisor. <enter>
Hi supervisor! <enter>
Hey, how’s life? <enter>
Pretty good. How are things with you? <enter>
Me and the wife… [blablabla…] <enter>
What are you calling about?<enter>
Oh right! <enter>
I have a case for you. <enter>
Cool! <enter>
It’s a spooky one, so hold on tight. <enter>