• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Fester Mudd and the Curse of the Gold.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

This awesomely beautiful looking classic adventure is due for release through Replay Games in January 2013, as a bonus-game, so to speak, to The Larry remake.

From what I’ve seen, nothing indicates that the game will include voice-acting. Does anyone here know if the game will feature voices or not?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Never heard of this before. Who’s actually making it? And to me voice acting is essential in any new game, old style graphics or not.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

FESTER MUDD was designed primarily by Paavo Harkonen, a Finnish designer/composer, with an assist by myself. It is a WONDERFUL little adventure with a lot of wit and charm.

There’s $0 in the budget for voice acting, so no, the game won’t be voiced. But it also won’t be *priced* like a voiced game.

Josh Mandel

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Josh, wouldn’t it be worth it to try and reach out to voice acting communities such as Newgrounds.com? You can get very cheap voice actors there that still has quality to them. Several indie games contains artists from there, and if you could cover those costs by say raising the price of the game by a dollar, then wouldn’t it be worth it?

It’d also be a great way to get some free promotion for the game as Newgrounds usually proudly showcase stuff where their prominent members has been involved - and that could generate sales Smile

Just a suggestion though, not trying to nag or anything!

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Kasper,

I’m not familiar with Newgrounds, but I’ll take a look, and I’ll be more than happy to suggest it to the folks at Prank (who are porting the game from AGS to Unity) and to Paul at Replay.

But even paying very cheap voice actors (boy, doesn’t THAT sound good!) is more money than we have in the budget for this, and then the voices have to be edited and programmed in, which is not an inconsiderable or inexpensive task. And of course it would completely blow the schedule out of the water; I doubt we’d even make Q1 2013, let alone January.

That’s not to say it’s a bad idea at all, just that this was never envisioned as a voiced product, and we’re just a few weeks away from shipping. So at this late date, it seems an improbable thing to suddenly try to add. :-/

Josh

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Yeah, I can see how it can complicate matters further - maybe this is the first case ever where DLC would fit in with an adventure? Grin

A recent game I know that used 30+ voice actors from Newgrounds is the popular Xbox Live Arcade game Dust: An Elysian Tail, and I know there are other games too, I just can’t remember which right this second.

Even if it won’t be right for this project it might be worth keeping in mind for the future. A lot of great voice actors, artists and programmers originates from Newgrounds. One very popular developer that comes to mind is Team Meat which debuted the original Meat Boy game at Newgrounds and were very much a part of the sites community in general.

So if you are in need of anything major, you should get in contact with the site-owner Tom, who regularly plugs things in the sites news updates. Oh, and he’s also the creator of Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid Smile

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

Thank you, Kasper! I’ll *definitely* keep it in mind for other projects (in fact, I have one in mind that it might be very useful for).

Thanks again!

Josh

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I really, REALLY love the style of this adventure. It looks like that long lost collaboration between Sierra and LucasArts we never had. Remember to support the title on Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=108161841

As for the voice acting: text-to-speech. Problem solved.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Thank you so much for your reply Mr. Mandel. Though I agree with Kasper about voices being essential for a game nowadays, watching the trailer actually gave me goosebumps, so I’ll definitely be playing it, voices or not Smile

Agustín Cordes - 24 November 2012 06:45 PM

As for the voice acting: text-to-speech. Problem solved.

I’m not quite sure I understand what you mean by this. I know there are text to speech programs out there, but does any such program exist that could be used by the game? And if so, wouldn’t the result be horrific, considering that every line, or every word rather, would be spoken out of context? And, could it provide different voices for different characters?

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I don’t mind that it has no voice acting. Even though I prefer games that DO have it, I still don’t dislike playing classics that have none.
If the budget didn’t foresee voice acting, then having no voice-acting is no big deal…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I was kidding. Don’t mind me, my humor is bizarre.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

lol, I see Grin Then I apologize for taking you too seriously! Smile

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Josho - 23 November 2012 11:12 AM

FESTER MUDD was designed primarily by Paavo Harkonen, a Finnish designer/composer, with an assist by myself. It is a WONDERFUL little adventure with a lot of wit and charm.

There was a scene in the trailer where the suspension on a chandelier in a bar was severed by a ricocheting bullet. It reminds me of some Western comedy game, but for the life of me, I can’t remember the name. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2005-01-20

PM

HAH! Yeah, the first time I played through the game, I thought, “Where have I seen that before?”

But I’m sure it was intentional. The game is definitely influenced by FREDDY here and there (there’s even a pharmacy—BUT NO PRESCRIPTIONS!), and also by a number of other classic adventure games.

(And besides, it’s not like we didn’t rip off the chandelier sequence ourselves…)

Josh

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2012-11-24

PM

Yes! The chandelier scene is most definitely a nod towards Freddy Pharkas. Fester has a lot of other references too, but I’ve tried to keep most of them subtle, because I feel that shooting out references in a machine gun-like fashion can get tiresome. Instead of cluttering the game with references, I’ve focused more on trying to capture the overall feeling of classic adventure games.

Paavo Härkönen (Designer of Fester Mudd)

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

From the look of it, you’ve succeeded greatly in doing so! Smile Thank you so much for stopping by Paavo, I’m really looking forward to trying the game. Is the game still in route for a january release?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top