• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Let’s try to convince Jordan Mechner to make a sequel to “The Last Express”!

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2012-10-11

PM

Classic real-time adventure mystery that definitely needs a sequel!!!

Here’s his web page…leave a comment!

http://jordanmechner.com/last-express/

Total Posts: 247

Joined 2012-05-21

PM

But, but, but…it was the LAST Express. How can you do a sequel? ;-)

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

blsheep04 - 11 October 2012 04:23 PM

Classic real-time adventure mystery that definitely needs a sequel!!!

Here’s his web page…leave a comment!

http://jordanmechner.com/last-express/

I bet he knows very well we all (or almost everyone who ever played TLE) want to know what is the story with Cath’s ring, what exactly happened in Cuba etc. etc. But of course, reminding won’t hurt! Sequel or prequel would be awesome, hopefully it is going to happen. The best thing, next to leaving a comment at jordanmechner.com, is to rate and review TLE iOS release (itunes app store is priority, but also Metacritic website won’t hurt, there it is still waiting for 1 more user vote…) and help spread the word a bit. That is always welcome!

Also, you are more than welcome to discuss TLE in The big “THE LAST EXPRESS” thread!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Mister Ed - 11 October 2012 04:35 PM

But, but, but…it was the LAST Express. How can you do a sequel? ;-)

The Last Express II - now with more Chocobo.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I would love another “The Last Express” game. I really would pay whatever they wanted for another one.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I don’t think it’s Mechner that really needs the convincing in this particular case, unfortunately.  I also wonder how many of the original actors are still around to do their roles, that is one of the features of the game that amazed me the most, is that these relatively unknown actors had such strong performances, there isn’t a weak one in the bunch.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

HitBattousai - 12 October 2012 03:02 PM

I don’t think it’s Mechner that really needs the convincing in this particular case, unfortunately.  I also wonder how many of the original actors are still around to do their roles, that is one of the features of the game that amazed me the most, is that these relatively unknown actors had such strong performances, there isn’t a weak one in the bunch.

A sequel would only need Robert Cath. In Jerusalem. With his ring. Looking for the 13th tribe.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I’d take a sequel in any form, but it wouldn’t be the same without the art/rotoscope style and while I imagine it’s much less expensive now than it was then, it’s still a hard sell to a publisher.  And I doubt Mechner would even consider a sequel if he couldn’t make it exactly how he wanted.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

HitBattousai - 12 October 2012 03:54 PM

I’d take a sequel in any form, but it wouldn’t be the same without the art/rotoscope style and while I imagine it’s much less expensive now than it was then, it’s still a hard sell to a publisher.  And I doubt Mechner would even consider a sequel if he couldn’t make it exactly how he wanted.

I too love stylized rotoscoped characters set to this realistic background. It works perfectly, imho. Low framerate or not. (Of course more fps is better…) Btw smoking car in the evening is so atmospheric! And yes, there are memorable performances from everybody. EDIT: Fien is right, there would not be many original actors needed, anyway, few characters made it to the end. If it is prequel: Cath and Whitney. If it is sequel: Cath (yes, I would love to meet Anna or even Schmidt, again, but these were supposed to be Cath’s adventures set all over the world, so - probably - with completely new characters). But do not forget there might be continuation of the story at some other platform…

Btw have you read Mechner’s unfinished prequel called Red Serpent? I have to give it another shot.

Well, I can only quote what I posted in the Big TLE topic - that’s what Jordan Mechner said in recent Guardian interview:

Have you ever thought of producing a follow-up to Last express? It feels like it could so easily be a series…
I love these characters and their world and I’ve certainly thought of revisiting them. Story-wise, [lead character Robert] Cath being the kind of guy he is, and the 20th century being what it was, there’s no doubt he would go on getting into trouble and probably landing on the losing side of more struggles – during the war, after the war… A certain promise is made at the end of the game; it would be interesting to find out what happens with that. Or a prequel involving Cath and Tyler’s younger adventures, like the one that ended so badly in Cuba – or was it Mexico?

The thing is, the original TLE was such a huge, ambitious undertaking – technically, artistically, logistically – it would be virtually impossible to fund an adventure game on that scale today. The challenge would be to find a way to do it that is smaller, but still builds on the original game in a way that’s new and interesting. It would have to be done with the internet and mobile in mind from the beginning.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TLE has a solid follow-up base. If Mechner has an urge/idea to make the prequel/sequel than I can’t see what could stand in the way of some 2013. Kickstarter project.

How about The Lost Express, followed by The First Express? (just kidding Grin)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

I have to repeat it here - playing TLE on iPad was great. I will just copy what I have written in TLE facebook group.

I’ve finally got to play TLE on iPad (thx to my friend) and I must say I really enjoyed it. For a while I played with tutorial and controls on, but then I switched it off, leaving just touch/hold and it felt natural, rarely did I misstap. Walking, collecting items, fighting and beetle-catching (quicker, but less funny than with 1997 controls :-)) was all just fine. Unlocking biographies is great (if I’m not mistaken, there is one typo in Mahmud Makhta’s bio: “Turkush”), as well as possibility to replay cinematic sequences. I like the fact there is hint system, similar to UHS, and also orientation in space is eased by blueprint of the train in your inventory etc. I could do without those short notes before chapters, but it is good for players who have no idea what to do and it can also work as Cath’s thoughts visualised (or how to call it).
The feeling of being lost in unknown environment full of strangers and not knowing what to do was part of the original game, it turned some gamers away, I guess, so all these additions perfectly make sense and work really good. The last thing: inventory. As much as I love the original inventory, I did not have problem with this one. The F-bird silhouette is an interesting idea… As you can see, I only have praise for this conversion. I am not sure how much I’d like it on iPhone, but on iPad it is just great! (Btw I’ve played v. 1.02, I just see 1.03 is out)

I am glad TLE iOS is doing ok (though not that great), as it seems. I have no idea where I could find how many “units” of iOS version has been sold, but at least topappcharts.com have this:

As to the sequel, I wonder how it could/would look like. I have absolutely no idea, to be honest. If they did not use 3D characters (full motion) because it was 1997 and they thought it would not look good, they could use it probably now, but somehow I doubt that. After 15 years both sequel and prequel is possible, as there was mentioned, because only Cath (or Cath and Tyler) characters are needed.
I still wonder about what JM said:

(...)The challenge would be to find a way to do it that is smaller, but still builds on the original game in a way that’s new and interesting. It would have to be done with the internet and mobile in mind from the beginning.

I bet he can find a way to create another gem any time he wants.

Btw on November 7th Karateka remake is out, I hope after promoting this remake there will be something *new* to look forward. Hmm, I wish there were more interviews with JM. In this video interview there is only brief mention of TLE, but nice:

Again - if you like TLE (iOS version), rate/review it:
http://itunes.apple.com/app/id508049561
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/the-last-express

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Slightly off topic, but Mechner is on this weeks Tabletop. (The board game youtube series with Will Wheaton)

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Lucien21 - 01 November 2012 04:49 PM

Slightly off topic, but Mechner is on this weeks Tabletop. (The board game youtube series with Will Wheaton)

Thanks for posting this, it was fun. It was the time I saw Will Wheaton’s series. (I know this guy only from Big Bang Theory. Yep, I am really not into Star Trek…) Anyway, crazy game! I crossed my fingers for Jordan’s victory.

To add some TLE news, Express made it to Qi’s Top 10 iPhone games and apps of October 2012.
http://iphone.qualityindex.com/games/643439/the-last-express

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

Some news concerning The Last Express - the movie:

INDIEWIRE: And how about “The Last Express,” wasn’t that due to have noir elements too?
PAUL VERHOEVEN: That’s still there, not so much film noir, again it’s lighter in tone. It’s like “The Lady Vanishes” combined with ‘Orient Express.’ In fact ‘Orient Express’ is closer, most of the scenes are on the train, it goes from Paris all the way to Istanbul. And they stop sometimes and get out, but in fact it’s all on the train, and it has a kind of romantic, slightly over the top, adventurous style. Till now it has not been possible to finance it. The script is done and I think it’s a really nice idea, I’m a big fan of train scenes, like in “North by Northwest”… I even took inspiration from Buster Keaton’s “The General”

Source: Indiewire

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Dear adventure game and movie gods,

Please let this movie happen. Thank you.

Joined 2009-01-02

PM

inm8#2 - 29 November 2012 06:40 PM

Dear adventure game and movie gods,

Please let this movie happen. Thank you.

+1

Although I have to say I was skeptical years ago when there was this rumour. And I did not like the idea of filming TLE much. Because I was worried it will not be good for some reason. But now curiosity is more powerful and I want it to happen. Verhoeven has so may projects in various state of progress, so TLE seems unlikely to be out in next few years. And the financing…
Well, I would not mind if other good/great director shot this film, but if Jordan Mechner approached Verhoeven with the screenplay (this is not for sure, I only think so) and probably they both worked on it, he has some reason to believe Verhoeven is the right guy for the job.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top