• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Alone in the Dark 2024

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

Probably. But comparing this to Resident Evil (even Silent Hill) is even more misleading.  I’m currently in another long stretch of game where I don’t face any combat whatsoever. No jump scares either. The last section was another linear story section with bits of stealth, SOMA/Rebirth style.

The Evil Within is pretty much a cross between Resident Evil and Silent Hill, which is part of the reason why I’ve enjoyed it, whilst RE4 always was rather silly to me (and definitely a pretty damn overrated game from a pretty bleak era of gaming in general, if you ask me). But as I’ve finished that just before this one, the contrast couldn’t be any more huge.

Anyway, this isn’t one for the greatest of all time lists. But I’d argue there’s still a few valid reasons why average fan response has been more positive than average press response. And why the game has numerous positive reviews in general. And it lies a good deal with the mood these guys created here. Similar to how Amnesia has never been a gameplay/systems heavy experience (if you discount the surprising The Bunker, which is a 2023 gem). Watching somebody else playing this over meal is a good way to destroying most of that.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

You might be right, why I mentioned I didn’t play the game myself. But with so many horror games available today I don’t feel like purchasing each one I stumble across. The Evil Within is a good example — I also first checked a playthrough, then rushed to buy it as it felt so immersive from the first minutes. And 10 years later it still looks great, like a neverending nightmare. AitD feels like it doesn’t even try to scare anyone.

Either way, I don’t think buying it will change the gameplay — which was of my main concern, because it was praised as old-school. But I’m not ready to pay $60 for a collection of tile puzzles — which they start throwing at you right from the beginning. And the rest feel very simplistic: find a way through empty locations, gather keys to locked doors, pick up the only active item and use it to open a passage in the very same room. Compare that to Silent Hills’ inventory puzzles, or various cryptic messages you needed to decipher in The Beast Inside, or even Alien: Isolation where you played hide-and-seek with an AI-driven monster. This game seriously lacks in both gameplay mechanics and originality. Just watched the final battle, and it was incredibly bad, a very poor way to wrap up the story.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2020-12-03

PM

danigar - 08 April 2024 10:14 PM

The puzzles in Tormented Souls are so great I loved them, they beat any recent adventure game imo.

Agree the puzzles in Tormented Souls were the best of any survival horror game i played so far but the combat in that game is also horribly boring, there’s only 2 range weapons, and all enemies act the same. You don’t even have to save on ammo and as soon as you get that that shotgun-like gun (very early in the game) it’s easy mode from there. So as a survival horror game it also failed for me on the action part, although it had some nice ideas like needing to light an area before being able to attack.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top