• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veoviswalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Harold Halibut - A Handmade Adventure Game

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

An instant classic no one’s gonna play.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

The Steam page calls it “a handmade narrative game”, and there’s no mention of puzzles in the description, so the developer seems to be honest in positioning it not as an adventure game, but as an interactive cartoon. And it looks really nice as that, great art style and animation.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Gabe - 17 April 2024 03:30 PM

An instant classic no one’s gonna play.

It’s on Game Pass; it will get played. Maybe not to completion, but it has an instant audience.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Another Crab’s Treasure. Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Yeah cream usually Rises to the top even if it’s in a cult status form. Not every great game becomes a huge all-time million dollar success but they get remembered for being great. Like Beyond Good and Evil or the first pyschonauts or even obra dinn which is huge in the adventure game scene and it has its fans elsewhere too, but it’s never been a huge commercial success. I actually think this game is going to Fair mostly middling, Where it gets Praises for its art Direction but, the gameplay is so severely lacking and the story isn’t mainstream like a Walking Dead that it turns a lot of Gamers off. so it might be remembered, but it probably will never be elevated to even a cult classic.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

It was funny to see how this threat started almost 7 years ago and they said how it looked like it wasn’t going to meet the goals on kickstarted and look at it now 7 years later! This definitely looks interesting as a fan of stop motion with a Wes Anderson feel. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of puzzless or more involved gameplay. I do enjoy narrative games with minimal gameplay here and there, but for some reason given the setting and look I wish in this case they had done something more in terms of gameplay. But I’ll definitely check it out later.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

It’s a gorgeous game made with clear love and care but I’m not finding it compelling in the slightest. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s a German studio and there’s translation issues but the writing is so barebones that it goes in one ear and out the other. Characters are bland with no personality and that’s all the game is, running errands for people. There’s nothing engaging to latch onto other than admiring the art and there’s only so many times you can run back and forth through the same lovely screens doing nothing before you just disconnect from the experience.

I wish I liked it! Meh

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Halibut Made Out of Brick, Clay and Tenacity

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/15/arts/harold-halibut-slow-bros.html

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top