• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What TV Show Would Make a Great Adventure Game?

Total Posts: 67

Joined 2005-10-04

PM

Plenty of shows and book series already get the adventure game treatment.

This is referring to TV shows that could realistically get a game made about them i.e. something that wouldn’t put an AAA company in the red trying to make.

I was watching ‘Diagnosis Murder’ the other day, and it occurred to me this show would’ve been perfect for an AG. It could either be an epic story like the TV specials, or a series ala Telltale style. Dick Van Dyke is known to be a fan of computers, having apparently been a fan of the Amiga in the 80’s and 90’s, and still fiddles about with computer animations to this day, so he’s easily be on-board doing the voice over for his character, as I’m sure some of the others would.

So, what would you guys recommend?

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

CSI type murder investigation and detective stuff are tropes for AG. My recent favorite
is BatesMotel,which could translate well into AG provided that they take basic premise
and make their own interpretation, while keeping the Mother/Son relationship
and unique set of Characters in Unique town with its mysteries.

So you get to explore town and its characters while the plot unlocks.
Its prequel to the Hitchcock’s Psycho in contemporary setting.

Highly recommended show, you guys will love it, critically acclaimed too.
Man Vera Farmiga acting was topnotch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2188671/

Another Series which got mixed response, but well suited for AG is HemlockGrove

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2309295/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Quantum Leap - Time travel adventure
Seinfeld - a game about nothing
Sherlock - the modern one
Downton Abbey - The Master Bates adventures

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Okay, so there was this trend in television for a while to have shows about people, who under unusual circumstances, gain the ability to help random strangers each week in very unique ways. These are shows like Quantum Leap, Early Edition, Seven Days, Sliders and even dreck like Touched By An Angel. I assume they were inspired from adventure series like Star Trek and Lost in Space but I would really like to see something like that play out in a game where you’re given a piece of important information through supernatural means and you spend the rest of the game trying to use that information to save someone’s life or whatnot.

Here’s the trope I’m talking about, I guess: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SetRightWhatOnceWentWrong

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Most adventure games based on TV shows have been horrible in my opinion. The CSI and NCIS games and such are awful. The only good adventure games based on TV shows I can think of are Star Trek: Judgment Rites and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Don’t know how the plot would work, but the characters and setting of “Ballykissangel” would make an excellent experience in an AG. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any AGs that have taken place in Ireland—other than the Broken Sword games, of course.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 21 June 2013 08:20 AM

Most adventure games based on TV shows have been horrible in my opinion. The CSI and NCIS games and such are awful. The only good adventure games based on TV shows I can think of are Star Trek: Judgment Rites and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary.

The TNG game A Final Unity was also good, and the Beavis & Butthead games are guilty pleasures of mine. But I’m with you, our record with TV show adaptations has not been terrific and we should probably avoid any further abominations.

If I could be sure of a quality game, I’d suggest Twin Peaks but only if David Lynch helped make it. And although it’s a love/hate show I think a South Park adventure game could be fun, partly because the Beavis & Butthead games turned out so well. Smile

rottford - 21 June 2013 08:37 AM

Don’t know how the plot would work, but the characters and setting of “Ballykissangel” would make an excellent experience in an AG. Come to think of it, I can’t think of any AGs that have taken place in Ireland—other than the Broken Sword games, of course.

Celtica

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Land Of The Lost.

<Drops mic.  Walks off stage.>

Bt

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Married with Children. Two reasons:
1.Not much programming work (1 screen)
2.Dialogue puzzles! Yum

Oscar - 21 June 2013 09:13 AM

If I could be sure of a quality game, I’d suggest Twin Peaks but only if David Lynch helped make it. And although it’s a love/hate show I think a South Park adventure game could be fun, partly because the Beavis & Butthead games turned out so well. Smile

How about King of the Hill then? Made by the same guy who did B&B and I really liked the show.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 21 June 2013 08:20 AM

What about the X-files game? Is it good? I never played but it has a good rating in here.

A bit off-topic but the 999/Virtue’s Last Reward series would make an awesome TV series.

Total Posts: 1796

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

wilco - 21 June 2013 09:47 AM

What about the X-files game? Is it good? I never played but it has a good rating in here.

I quite enjoyed it but there is some fiddly hunting for (physical) clues as I recall plus some action scenes, notably at the end, and you can die quite easily as well.
Overall, one of the better FMV games of the time.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

There has already been made some excelente quite okay games based on Monty Python’s Flying Circus, but i think there is potential for a lot more.

Otherwise i’m with Oscar on both Twin Peaks and South Park.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Oh, duh.  Firefly.

Bt

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Blackthorne - 21 June 2013 11:32 AM

Oh, duh.  Firefly.

^ This.

Because every time there’s wishful thinking involved with TV series, Firefly is the first name that pops up. Tongue

And I also thought of series along these lines:

wilco - 21 June 2013 07:27 AM

Quantum Leap

thejobloshow - 21 June 2013 07:34 AM

shows about people, who under unusual circumstances, gain the ability to help random strangers each week in very unique ways. These are shows like Quantum Leap, Early Edition, Sliders

...so I’m basically late to the party thread. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5610

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Something along the lines of Sy-Fy channel’s Warehouse 13 or Sanctuary might be fun, although I can’t say I’m fond of the look of avatars of real people.  No matter how well crafted, they always seem too stiff to me.  I watch Defiance every week, and they show ads for the first person shooter of the same name.  It’s jarring to see the same characters in the game trailers.  I think FMV is preferable when dealing with recognizable characters, but then that’s another can of worms when it comes to expense and interactivity.  Cartoon characters and puppets probably make the transition best from tv to games, although the stories aren’t always there.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2009-12-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 June 2013 01:20 PM

Something along the lines of Sy-Fy channel’s Warehouse 13 or Sanctuary might be fun, although I can’t say I’m fond of the look of avatars of real people.  No matter how well crafted, they always seem too stiff to me.  I watch Defiance every week, and they show ads for the first person shooter of the same name.  It’s jarring to see the same characters in the game trailers.  I think FMV is preferable when dealing with recognizable characters, but then that’s another can of worms when it comes to expense and interactivity.  Cartoon characters and puppets probably make the transition best from tv to games, although the stories aren’t always there.

Warehouse 13 has already been done. SYFY has a playable chose your own adventure game for Warehouse 13.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top