• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarb

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Ron Gilbert Teases New Monkey Island

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

In an editorial over at Kotaku, Ron Gilbert talks about what he would do with the Monkey Island IP, or what he calls “Monkey Island 3A”.  He makes it clear he isn’t working on the game, but it really does come off as trying to generate interest so that Disney would let him do it.

http://kotaku.com/if-i-made-another-monkey-island-473013720

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

From the article:

The only way I would or could make another Monkey Island is if I owned the IP. I’ve spent too much of my life creating and making things other people own.

Sounds like he’s not interested in Disney “letting” him do it. They’d have to be willing to sell him the IP outright, which seems unlikely (even if he could raise the millions they’d probably want for it).

Still a fun read, but I don’t think there’s an ulterior motive here. (And it was originally posted on his blog, which makes it seem even more like random musings than an attempt to stir up attention.)

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

What a massive ego he has not to consider working on a new Monkey Island game unless he owns it.

He should feel lucky if given the opportunity to make another Monkey Island.

My baseless speculation: Maybe, deep down, he knows that any new Monkey Island he’d make wouldn’t be able to match up to the originals. That’s really why he won’t do another one. He knows he couldn’t live up to expectation.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Boy, you’re something, Quest1.

Bt

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

It sounds to me like he would if he could. Or is it coincidence that he wrote this shortly after the closure of the company where he made the old games?

Nonetheless his approach would be interesting, if only because it would create mixed feelings between the different groups of fans: those who resented MI3 ignoring the MI2 ending, those who didn’t care about continuity, and those who only played the newer games and would be confused at leaving off at the end of MI2.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I wouldn’t call it teasing Monkey Island but it’s an interesting read. I like the last 2 points, so a Ron Gilbert kickstarter would consist of: “I’m Ron Gilbert, give me x million dollars to make an adventure game. You’ll see it someday when it’s done” Smile now I want to see it happen…

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Blackthorne - 15 April 2013 07:40 PM

Boy, you’re something, Quest1.

Bt

Ron Gilbert sure is no Roberta Williams.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Hrm… “Give me money so I can buy the MI IP to make proper sequel and I’ll let you do fan-games!” Kickstarter?

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The game he describes sounds AWESOME! I’d donate my house, a kidney, and maybe even a testicle or two to Kickstarter to make this happen!

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Gonchi - 15 April 2013 10:14 PM

Hrm… “Give me money so I can buy the MI IP to make proper sequel and I’ll let you do fan-games!” Kickstarter?

Has Ron Gilbert ever been asked about such a thing? How would he know what to set as the funding goal? Would there have to be an agreement with Disney beforehand?

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Quest1 - 15 April 2013 11:15 PM

Has Ron Gilbert ever been asked about such a thing? How would he know what to set as the funding goal? Would there have to be an agreement with Disney beforehand?

Maybe you should head over to his blog and demand some answers.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Lambonius - 16 April 2013 12:04 AM

Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking that very thing.

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Quest1 - 16 April 2013 12:20 AM

Funny you should mention that. I was just thinking that very thing.

Let us know what he says!  Wink

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Disney doesn’t sell out licenses, it licenses them out. If the big D gets its hands on some license, it won’t let it go, as everything has a potential of making money and Disney wants to own the license if that said money is about to happen.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

This made me chuckle, thank you sir

tomimt - 16 April 2013 02:40 AM

Disney doesn’t sell out licenses, it licenses them out. If the big D gets its hands on some license, it won’t let it go, as everything has a potential of making money and Disney wants to own the license if that said money is about to happen.

This I also think is the case, but if Gilbert were to raise enough (hypothetically) then they might let it go. I can’t see them thinking this is an asset that holds enough long term value for them.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

It really does sound like he WANTS to make a new Monkey Island game.

I mean, he’s not going to, because he can’t…but he’s evidently put quite a bit of thought into it.

He also appears quite traditional in his vision for it. Which , with all this talk of “adventure games needing to evolve” I’ve been reading all over the place lately, is actually quite refreshing.

I’m also quite appreciative of the fact Mr.Gilbert, like myself, appears far less enamored with the style of MI3 than a lot of people who fawn over it are.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top