• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG without NPCs

Total Posts: 18

Joined 2013-04-07

PM

Could you name some GOOD point’n'click adventure games (no fps/myst-like)? Maybe some sort of survive type of story (castaway and stuff). Thanks for tips.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Is Return to Mysterious Island a myst-like? Good game anyway and no npcs. Oh and also The Experiment.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Keepsake has a few

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Miasmata?

Also: The Dig is mostly solemn exploration. There are two NPCs in the game (four if you count the intro to the game), but you rarely need them…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Only The Neverhood and Samorost come to mind…

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

ghostwriter - 15 April 2013 11:08 AM

Could you name some GOOD point’n'click adventure games (no fps/myst-like)?

Can you clarify the last bit? Are you saying you don’t want the game to be a first-person shooter but you do want it to be Myst-like? (This interpretation might make sense, because Myst is exploratory and has no NPCs which seems to be at least part of what you want.)

Or are you saying you don’t want it to be Myst-like either? (This interpretation is also possible, but if so it will help if you clarify what aspect of Myst-like games you want to avoid, e.g. you want a third-person perspective where you see your character on screen, you want a different style of puzzles, or whatever. By “fps” did you just mean first-person perspective and you want to avoid first-person perspective adventure games?)

Also it always helps to know if you are only looking for newer games that are easier to obtain and get running, or if you are comfortable with older games as well.

Joined 2013-04-07

PM

Thanks guys for tips!

Calibrun: First of all sorry for my english, it’s not my native language. I meant I don’t want the game to be in a first person view. Sorry for FPS misunderstanding, I obviously didn’t speak about a shooter in AG discussion boards. But anyway I don’t want Myst-like adventure games (=first person view) just because I know there are so many games like this and I just don’t like them. So I’m looking for traditional point’n'click advenures where you can see a whole character on the screen just like in The Dig. Yes, you could call it third person view. Actually what would be perfect for me is the isometric view (Fallout), but I doubt there are any good iso-adventures. Maybe Sanitarium, but there is quite a lot NPCs. So anyway I’m good with any kind of perspective where you can see a whole character.

For the plot it would be nice the kind of “who am I and where I am” concept similar to Neverhood - no intro, no story introduction, player need to figure it out.

I’m absolutely not looking for only newer games. I love old traditional adventure games so the game could be any age, it really doesn’t matter. But generally speaking, the older the better.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

ghostwriter - 15 April 2013 02:11 PM

Actually what would be perfect for me is the isometric view (Fallout), but I doubt there are any good iso-adventures. Maybe Sanitarium, but there is quite a lot NPCs. So anyway I’m good with any kind of perspective where you can see a whole character.

STASIS
It’s still in development (the release will hopefully be for sometime later this year), but I think it’ll be right up your alley… Wink

Check our forum thread about Stasis here.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-04-07

PM

Oh yes TimovieMan, I know about Statis and I’m looking forward to it!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

ghostwriter, this is just my unhealthy curiosity but what do you have against NPCs? Grin

More seriously, how much NPC interaction are you willing to stomach? Do you recoil at the mere sight of a NPC or do you want to perhaps avoid conversations or conversation puzzles? Or are you more generally looking for third-person games that emphasize solitary exploration?

Joined 2013-04-07

PM

TerminusEst - 15 April 2013 02:56 PM

ghostwriter, this is just my unhealthy curiosity but what do you have against NPCs? Grin

Nothing I mean I love NPCs in adventure games, don’t get me wrong, I’m just curious if there is something quite different in the world of adventure games.

Or are you more generally looking for third-person games that emphasize solitary exploration?

Now I think you nailed it.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well if you are looking for third-person games that emphasize solitary exploration, then you can make a search in the AG database like this.

Some have more NPC’s and dialog then others though.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

ghostwriter - 15 April 2013 03:09 PM

Or are you more generally looking for third-person games that emphasize solitary exploration?

Now I think you nailed it.

Aha! So like the Syberia games or even more solitary/desolate? In addition to the suggestions above, I remember both Loom and Escape from Delirium as having the main character on his own most of the time. Oh, and also: Bad Mojo.

Edit: Or better yet, do what Iznogood suggested.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 15 April 2013 03:42 PM

Well if you are looking for third-person games that emphasize solitary exploration, then you can make a search in the AG database like this.

It doesn’t work very well. Not very many games come up, not even Syberia.

If you don’t mind horror, Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon is an underrated solitary exploration game.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Oscar - 15 April 2013 07:32 PM
Iznogood - 15 April 2013 03:42 PM

It doesn’t work very well. Not very many games come up, not even Syberia.

Yeah i noticed that, but i can work as a supplement.

The thing is that a game like Syberia is what i would call borderline to “solitary exploration”, but not a game i would categorize as a solitary exploration game.

In fact there aren’t many 3rd person games that are outright solitary exploration games, most of these are 1st person.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top