• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Nelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Burnhouse Lane

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Has anyone been playing this?

It’s a bit disappointing that the developer of the superb The Cat Lady decided to go down the route of introducing action elements. I’ve been having a go & got to chapter 5 but have left it for a while due to an annoying sequence trying to get past a series of zombies. The action parts are probably easier (so far) than those in some other adventure games (Gemini Rue springs to mind) but for me they interrupt the flow of the story.
Otherwise I am finding the game excellent & if it wasn’t for the annoying action parts in my mind it’s as good as The Cat Lady.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Since I was one of the few that didn’t enjoy the depressing bleakness of Cat Lady, I’m not sure whether your mini-review is a suggestion that I shouldn’t buy it because it has the same depressing bleakness as Cat Lady but with the addition of action sequences. Which I also don’t like in adventure games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I should have added to my thoughts on the game that, yes, it has the same depressing bleakness as The Cat Lady so if you didn’t like that you definitely won’t like this one! The action parts include some platforming sequences which if they had just been a tad easier I would have found fun! But as said already a lot of the action elements are easier (so far) than in some ‘non-action’ adventure games & there seems to be a good balance between them & the progression of the story.
I did find buying & using an Xbox controller, which is very compatible with Win 10, helped!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I know this is picky, but could you describe what constitutes “action” in Burnhouse Lane? For me, an action sequence is something like the mechanical spider puzzle in Still Life. Or the “evade the shooter” sequence at the end of Still Life 2. It could even be the swordfight sequence at the end of Freddy Pharkus Frontier Pharmacist. While I’ve never played one, I’ve heard of “arcade-style” sequences, e.g. running and jumping over obstacles, in adventure games. (Although I think we both played in a flash CPT of a game that included one of those in addition to a “move left and right to avoid being hit by falling objects” sequence.)

Basically, the term action sequence is almost a generic term that can include all sorts of stuff. Some of which I might try to play through despite my dislike of that type of puzzle. For other types, it would probably be a deal breaker.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I liked the depressive bleakness of Cat Lady and have been wanting to play more from “the developer” but the reviews of the other games have been pretty average. Burnhouse Lane doesn’t seem to be an exception, unfortunately.

AKA Charo

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 25 April 2023 06:23 PM

I know this is picky, but could you describe what constitutes “action” in Burnhouse Lane?

So far there’s just been the one platforming sequence where you play as a cat & have to run, climb & jump up to/over obstacles to reach your destination. What was frustrating about that is that there were long gaps between save points which you were sent back to on failing.

Otherwise, action sequences consisted of running & jumping to get past an enemy, hiding on hearing an enemy approach & direct combat using guns or an axe.  Using a gun was awkward as you had to try & evade the enemy whilst reloading it. 

It probably sounds harder than it actually is. The flash playthrough we took part in was Apocalipsis: Harry at the End of the World:

Apocalipsis

I found some of the ‘action’ in that a lot harder.

@Charo. I’ve played both the original & the remake of Downfall which seem to be prequels to The Cat Lady (the original available as freeware btw). I also played Lorelai which although I enjoyed, like the earlier games, for me, was not quite up to the excellence of The Cat Lady so can understand why some of the reviewers considered them to be average.

I’m almost at the end of chapter 5 out of 7 chapters of Burnhouse Lane & have so far found it as engaging as The Cat Lady. I’m not sure what reviews you have read as most of the ones I’ve seen are very positive but there’s quite a descriptive one worth reading on Jackal’s site.

Adventure Game Hotspot

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 26 April 2023 08:15 AM

Apocalipsis: Harry at the End of the World:Apocalipsis

I found some of the ‘action’ in that a lot harder.

That was it! A fun, relatively short playthrough.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I should have edited my comment to say how frustrated I got with the water rescue puzzle. I was about ready to throw in the towel before I took my own, as well as chrissie’s advice to “just relax.” It’s hard to relax when you’re in the heat of the moment. But that is the only way to get through the puzzle. It’s probably the main reason I don’t like action sequences. I just can’t take my own advice.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top