• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2022

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I’ve mixed feelings, Aggies have been always a collective effort from what I recall, even though Jack was obviously the showrunner all the way. Now it feels like everything is basically a one man’s effort and one man’s will. But it’s probably the right thing to keep it going since casual visitors and game developers would be more interested in the official Aggies rather than the forums and its small community. I’ll try to vote in both threads (not counting the freeware thread which is a very cool offspring that will, hopefully, develop into something bigger), but I think diego’s effort is more up to the spirit of Aggies. It might be also the last voting for many of us taking the current geopolitical situation, so I feel no regrets)

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1266

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Last voting meaning the world will end this year?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

yeah i was wondering about that one as well.

i mean, i can think of several more or less realistic scenarios, but none confirmed so far..

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Don’t know about all world, but chances of a new world war in Europe/Asia are increasing with each month. Earthquakes in Turkey and Syria were also horrible. Not to mention America is currently under a UFO attack. So I’d rather rush and vote now.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

And don’t forget reggaeton. Never forget reggaeton…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I am glad reader’s choice awarded Nightmare Frames with two Aggies and even nominated it for Best Adventure. In my opinion, it was unfairly forgotten by Staff Aggies.

Total Posts: 113

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I’m glad we still have the Aggies and I was glad to see my favorites winning most of them Smile But I was so puzzled when I saw Return to Monkey Island winning the Reader’s choice for Graphic Design! Wasn’t it the one thing that was criticized the most from day one? What’s up with that? Confused

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

danigar - 25 February 2023 12:34 PM

I’m glad we still have the Aggies and I was glad to see my favorites winning most of them Smile But I was so puzzled when I saw Return to Monkey Island winning the Reader’s choice for Graphic Design! Wasn’t it the one thing that was criticized the most from day one? What’s up with that? Confused

i guess it was divisive? Honestly i couldn’t really get behind the criticism because it took on the form of a weird internet rage phenomenon, though i felt the response by Ron & co wasn’t great and the graphics themselves were.. very stock-y

Here’s my theory:

a) it’s Monkey Island, so some people are going to vote for it, regardless.

b) the very conflicted conflict mode of its detractors (“i love Monkey Island! i hate these graphics! i’m not a hater! you’re the ones being toxic!”) was unappealing and had the opposite effect.

c) it’s a very middle of the road, broadly used and familiar style. To me, the best scenes look like very polished versions of the type of graphics you find in public service announcements or on infocharts. it’s.. inoffensive, accessible, perhaps not very expressive, but as with coffee and burgers, a lot of people choose the chain store version over something more characteristic every day.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

There were a few strange results, as usual.

I liked BROK and it deserved most of its awards, but best concept? The concept was literally combining an adventure game with a non-adventure game.

If it’s such a popular concept I soon expect to see a FIFA adventure game, Tetris adventure game, RTS adventure game, Flight Simulator adventure game, Dance Dance adventure game. Etc ...

AKA Charo

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 01 March 2023 08:20 AM

I liked BROK and it deserved most of its awards, but best concept? The concept was literally combining an adventure game with a non-adventure game.

If it’s such a popular concept I soon expect to see a FIFA adventure game, Tetris adventure game, RTS adventure game, Flight Simulator adventure game, Dance Dance adventure game. Etc ...

this has been in the back of my mind for a while.

do you think adventure games could do something cool and new without slapping on an outside mechanic?

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 01 March 2023 08:20 AM

I haven’t played BROK yet, but I have been confused about that one as well.

“The combination of point-and-click adventure gameplay with beat-em-up combat is a bold and unique choice never before seen in the genre.”

OK, maybe the keyword there is “point-and-click”, but Shenmue was a combination of adventure and beat-em-up over 20 years ago, and also introduced things like QTEs and other stuff.

So while it’s a rare combination, it’s not unique at all. Unless it’s all about pointing and clicking, but there have been many other genres combined with point-and-clicks in the past, like FPS, racing, and what have you. Mostly in freeware games.

It gets even more confusing with the reader’s choice about the best character.

“BROK the InvestiGator has won the Readers’ Choice award for Best Character, and it’s not hard to see why. Brok, the game’s protagonist, is a tough, but sensitive alligator detective who is struggling to make ends meet while uncovering the secrets of his dystopian world.”

As I have pointed out elsewhere previously, the alligator detective is not an original idea.

Investi-Gator: The Case of the Big Crime was released before BROK the InvestiGator.

I am not saying BROK doesn’t deserve the awards, it’s probably a good and fresh game in many ways.

But if the combination of adventure and beat-em-up has been done before, if the concept of alligator investigator has also been done before, where’s the uniqueness here?

Of course, the same can be asked about Guybrush Threepwood.
Including the remakes in the count, this is the 8th time he’s been the protagonist in a Monkey Island game. So having something new and unique isn’t what has been awarded there, unless it’s all about the new, controversial graphical style.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I don’t see “Best Concept” as something that has to be necessarily “new” or unique, if done right. If there was an Aggie category “Best Unique” or “Most innovative concept” adventure, then yes, but best concept can be something already seen, but which works great, strengthened by a great game experience.

Similarly, I have no problem voting over and over again for Monkey Island games for a “Best Setting”. “Serious” pirates theme combined with a hilarious comedy and deliberate anachronisms is something that we’ve seen already in the first game, but since I’m not voting for a “Best new or unseen setting”, it’s ok to consider new games again for the category, if they’re done right.

My only gripe with the Aggies this year is the text that is following the awards - it used to be a mini-review of a sort with a personal touch, even for sound, voices, graphics… this time it’s only a general info about the game.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

diego - 01 March 2023 12:44 PM

I don’t see “Best Concept” as something that has to be necessarily “new” or unique, if done right. If there was an Aggie category “Best Unique” or “Most innovative concept” adventure, then yes, but best concept can be something already seen, but which works great, strengthened by a great game experience.

Yes, that’s true. And with BROK it’s hard to imagine a better way to combine beat em up and adventure. You can kick a door down instead of opening it adventure-style, but you also have to think about the consequences of doing that. It’s very well conceived.

The character of Brok while perhaps not new is also extremely endearing, so I agree with that Aggie.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top