• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Candidates for best adventure game of the year

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

So, what do you think?

I wouldn’t say this year’s harvest is very brilliant…

P.S Any kind soul to correct the title?

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played far fewer of this years games than the usual 50+ that I have got around to in the past.

Out of the ones I have played I think Not Another Weekend is worthy of nomination along with Alien Function & Encodya. I also very much liked Quarantine Diary & St Kotar. The MDNA games never seem to get enough love & it’s doubtful that St Kotar will get any here at all but it has nice artwork & a great atmosphere.    Smile

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Due to my translations testing labour, I use to play a few games of the year, but I would say Strangeland has been my favourite, with Kathy Rain DC in second place and Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One in third place.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Strangeland & SH: Chapter 1 both appeal to me but unfortunately I don’t have time to play either just yet but maybe before the voting starts? Yes, Kathy Rain DC.  Smile

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

chrissie - 21 December 2021 03:44 PM

Strangeland & SH: Chapter 1 both appeal to me but unfortunately I don’t have time to play either just yet but maybe before the voting starts? Yes, Kathy Rain DC.  Smile

You will need plenty of time for SH: Chapter One, 30-40 hours if you want to complete all missions and tasks. Steam says I played for 95 hours, of course I was testing the Spanish translation…

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I played a lot of games this year, but very few of them were released in 2021. Amongst the ones that were, Kathy Rain DC was by far the best. Loved that game big time.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Adv_Lvr - 21 December 2021 07:48 PM

I played a lot of games this year, but very few of them were released in 2031.

Have you been time traveling again, Adv_Lvr?  Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 December 2021 08:10 PM

That is just TOO funny! Sadly, I corrected it. It was funny while it lasted…………

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I was planning to play as many adventure games as I could this year. Unfortunately, this year was not a very good year for playing games (and for surviving in general), so I can’t say I enjoyed it adventure-wise. But Mutropolis and Warp Frontier were certainly the best experiences I had. Also maybe The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, but it’s a re-release, so I’m not sure it counts (and I haven’t finished it yet).

But I can say for certain that Minute of Islands was the worst game I played this year.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 December 2021 08:10 PM

LOL!

I’m almost always terrible at these lists. For.. numerous reasons. I’ll just take the opportunity to showcase some games of 2021 that I personally loved.

The Epsilon Outcome, as humble as it may look standing next to some of the big productions of 2021, it’s just classic adventure gaming. It has charm, comedy, puzzles and mystery.

Inspector Waffles. It does many things right. Animal detectives! Clues! Mostly sensible puzzles!

As a tester for Warp Frontier, it’s hard to say exactly how I rate the experience without trying to get it to crash, replaying conversations to test different responses, etc. I did see a smart, well-designed sci-fi adventure with genuine AG puzzles. I was intrigued by what the player got to discover and I really hope we get to explore this universe a bit more.

The Corruption Within is a very specific game that seems to draw from the era of shareware cd-roms that generally hid a couple of gems in the bulk. Adventure games by people who didn’t work for, or tried to emulate, Sierra or LucasArts. It reminds me of a Weird Tales gothic horror story, but with more contemporary sensibilities. Very atmospheric.

Milo and the Magpies was just lovely. A small, lighthearted game with small challenges. But it was sweet. And I think the slice of life in a Dutch neighbourhood was done exceptionally well.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I played and finished around 15 adventure games this year, but I don’t think my two favorites have been covered by the site yet. I hope they will be in time to be eligible for the Aggies though.

For traditional point and click, the stand out release for me was Pedro’s Adventures in Spanish. It’s rare for an educational game to actually be good. Going into the game knowing no Spanish, but a lifetime of adventure game logic experience really helped me work through the puzzles. I hope we get more games like this in many different languages. They really nailed the right balance with this one and it’s my top choice for traditional adventure game of the year.

In terms of non-traditional game, my favorite was Tux and Fanny, which has traditional inventory puzzles and a simple narrative, but also mini-games and a sense of open-ended game design that is so refreshing. It reminded me a lot of There is No Game, which was my GOTY last year in that it continuously introduces new mechanics and creative ways of solving puzzles, but it also has a lot of optional content and post-game content. I appreciate games that choose game design and creativity over production values and this game is something special.

Other games I enjoyed were Sable, The Rewinder, Inspector Waffles, Darkside Detective: A Fumble in the Dark, Kathy Rain DC and Strangeland.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Here’s one great choice: Life Is Strange: True Colors. I didn’t see a review of the game from this site, which is too bad, it’s an excellent high production adventure game.

Sometimes a major adventure game release like this gets no coverage or review here so thank goodness other sites provide excellent coverage of these games and reviews.

Heart

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Adv_Lvr - 22 December 2021 11:11 AM

Here’s one great choice: Life Is Strange: True Colors. I didn’t see a review of the game from this site, which is too bad, it’s an excellent high production adventure game.

Sometimes a major adventure game release like this gets no coverage or review here so thank goodness other sites provide excellent coverage of these games and reviews.

Heart

Ask and ye shall receive. There’s now a review posted on the main page. This is one of the few games released this year that I really wanted to play, but haven’t gotten a chance yet. The main barrier for me is the $60 price tag, so it might not be until the end of 2022 before I get around to playing it.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Only 2021 adventure game i played was warp frontier. I think there is a lot of great ideas and a cool Universe, but the execution was kind of sloppy. I can’t vote for it to be anything close to Game of the Year, it was a perfectly average game.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

TheLongestJourney - 22 December 2021 11:57 AM
Adv_Lvr - 22 December 2021 11:11 AM

Heart

Ask and ye shall receive. There’s now a review posted on the main page. This is one of the few games released this year that I really wanted to play, but haven’t gotten a chance yet. The main barrier for me is the $60 price tag, so it might not be until the end of 2022 before I get around to playing it.

Oh, yea! ‘Bot time. Good news is, it’s a real GOOD review. And yea, it’s pricy now at $59.99 and that will drop in the future.

With the last of the AAA adventure game developers leaving for greener pastures, AA adventure games like this one are a real treat.

Heart

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Strangeland and Great Ace Attorney Collection were the best for me, only a few other titles I played really come close. I liked Life is Strange True Colors a lot as well, but had some issues with it that keep the other two a cut above. Conway: Disappearance at Dahlia View was also a really nice surprise but not quite on that level.

Great Ace Attorney Collection takes it pretty handedly, IMO. They’re arguably the best games in one of my all-time favorite franchises. Shu Takumi took all his experience and love of detective fiction to create an epic two part mystery/drama with new mechanics, a refreshing new setting, an unforgettable cast of characters, and perhaps the best OST to grace the series.

The final chapter where all the explosive reveals are coming out one after the other, in the emotional/comical/over-the-top way Ace Attorney has pitch perfected, completely blew me away. Wadjet Eye’s Dave Gilbert aptly called it “a dozen Chekhov’s guns going off at once” on twitter. It’s one of my favorite moments in gaming, period.

I also want to play Kathy Rain DC and see what the additions and changes are like, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top