• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiezobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

favourite adventure game songs/soundtracks

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Vegetable Party - 20 November 2021 07:33 AM

@Jofog those early mario soundtracks are amazing..

Nintendo was standing on the shoulders of some chiptune giants, but I think Mario’s music became this iconic because it’s so rhythmic. They must’ve used some clever tricks to pull some of that stuff off on the NES.

I’m not sure of the date that Mario et al were created. But in the earliest days, the days before gaming computers existed. The days before $300 Creative sound cards existed to support 5-1 computer speaker systems, we had a $29 SoundBlaster card producing these ditties from whatever pair of cheap speakers we could find, if not from the cheapest of all, the PC speaker itself.

It’s hard to compare these without talking about the technology that was available when they were created.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1655

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

The dig, and full throttle

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@rtrooney: I have a soft spot for AdLib/early SoundBlaster sound and music. FM-synth stuff, in a broader sense.
My layperson memory of the SoundBlaster development: being able to hear actual (human) voices in video games. That was a game changer.

@Jdawg445: I vaguely remember both. Didn’t Full Throttle bring in an existing band? What are your favourite songs?
One thing I do distinctly remember from Full Throttle: the song about thanking the Lord for the Apocalypse and chasing chitlins, whiskey and skirt.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Oh, I have on this something as well. It is from RPG universe, though. The OST’s from Fallout and Fallout2 by Mark Morgan. Very enjoyable.

He also wrote music for Wasteland 2, but I have not listened to it properly to vouch for it.

GRUNND.COM
A game, occasional podcast.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Any particularly memorable tracks?

Since you talked about Fenriz in the thread about GRUNND, I wonder if there’s any (black) metal-type of stuff in games?

For adventure games I think Knight’s Chase has a dungeon synth vibe and some of it’s imagery that fits in the realm of black metal. The main villain, WOLFRAM, is a lot more metal than the protagonist, though. You do get to walk around with swords and even a flail, I think Varg used to swing one of those around as well.

There was this metal-inspired game with a pretty good soundtrack I never played.. ehm.. Brütal Legend. It’s süpposed to be pretty Brvtal.

There was this 80s kind of trash metal inspired game called Billy Masters Was Right.

Does anyone else know if there’s more of this stuff in adventure games?

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2018-11-09

PM

Hahah, nice touch on that “Brvtal” thing Grin

I started to play BrutalLegend, but did not stick to it. But sounds were gutt, that’s for sure.

I guess, in order to bring in more, we should broaden not only from Black metal, but from metal per se - as we venture into hard rock, I think there are a lot of games with that. Being fast paced music, it does not fit into sTaNDaRt adventure games, because, you know, pacing. And… with all these generic prog-tech-metal tunes in other games, I think people are just tired of them. //I love good prog/tech, but it’s rare even today. On that note - check out French band GOROD - effing amazing.

I have not seen [or just do not remember, what is more believable], but I have not heard a lot of black metal sounds, which is quite odd, because those are all about atmosphere. Not many black metal fans amongst indie devs I suppose.

Would love to hear if anyone have experienced something within Adventures as well!

GRUNND.COM
A game, occasional podcast.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

eddyc - 30 June 2021 04:32 AM

Gray matter, and especially Sam’s theme which is also the menu theme.

Sam’s Theme is good, but to me it’s a distant second to another Raleigh Holmes song, The Taking, the closing track from Cognition:

And since trailers were brought up earlier, this one may be cheating as I’m not sure the track even made it into the main game, but I can’t recall ever finding a song more perfectly suited to a trailer than this one by Syd Matters for Life Is Strange:

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Two of my all time favourites - the main themes of GK1 and GK3. Amazing stuff

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

QfGV has a great soundtrack as well

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Olafs_GRUNND - 02 December 2021 06:48 AM

Hahah, nice touch on that “Brvtal” thing Grin

I’d throw in a trv kvlt, but that’d get too esoteric I think. I checked out Gorod: slaps pretty hard.

Really like these new additions to the thread! Agree about the song in the trailer of Life Is Strange. Perfect mood.

The Quest For Glory V soundtrack was a surprise. Was this in the game in this form? I do remember some of the themes. This is awesome.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Chase - 05 December 2021 12:54 PM

Two of my all time favourites - the main themes of GK1 and GK3. Amazing stuff

Interesting that you mentioned it. Robert Holmes is also one of my favourite game composers, and he is currently running a Kickstarter campaign for “a collection of fully produced dramatic game themes created and produced in the style of music from Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter games… that would be right at home in a GK sequel”. Maybe he will use the themes that were originally intended for Gabriel Knight 4. Here’s the link:

http://kck.st/3qAZfS1

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I watched the video on his KS post, and I’m not sure what he’s talking about. Is he talking about full orchestration of some of his iconic themes? In which case $36K is way underfunded. Or is he talking about funding the latest and greatest add-ons to the latest and greatest music composition software? If the latter, a trip to Sweetwater, (US musicians will know the company,) will likely cost less than the goal.

I don’t object to what he wants to do. I just don’t understand what that is. If you know, please translate that for me.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 05 December 2021 07:31 PM

I watched the video on his KS post, and I’m not sure what he’s talking about. Is he talking about full orchestration of some of his iconic themes? In which case $36K is way underfunded. Or is he talking about funding the latest and greatest add-ons to the latest and greatest music composition software? If the latter, a trip to Sweetwater, (US musicians will know the company,) will likely cost less than the goal.

I don’t object to what he wants to do. I just don’t understand what that is. If you know, please translate that for me.

He wants to produce a completely new album, with new tracks in style of Gabriel Knight games. I don’t know why he calls them “game themes” since there are no games, probably to attract Sierra fans and alike. Or, like I suggested, to include some of the tracks he started writing for the unreleased GK4, and now he needs funds to finish and polish them.

As for technology, the KS states that they will be “fully produced adding synthesis and electronic textures and orchestral arrangements… utilizing both some of the original instruments from past games, and some of the best new technology and electronic synthesis and sampling tools”. Mastering will be done by Gavin Lurssen who has a solid porfolio.

The album will be released both digitally, on CD and on vynil. There’s a section “Related Costs” with a list of things he needs money for and some pretty cool collectables for the die-hard fans, including his old synth and guitar used to creat game tracks)

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 06 December 2021 01:34 PM

“fully produced adding synthesis and electronic textures and orchestral arrangements… utilizing both some of the original instruments from past games, and some of the best new technology and electronic synthesis and sampling tools”.

Which kind of says what I said as my second option.

If somebody else will be producing it, the costs of that would seem to need a second KS. And, it the actual manufacturing of the product involves CD duplication/packaging, or vinyl pressing/packaging and/or mechanism for digital distribution, that would seem to need a third KS funding.

I am not saying this is a bad idea. But I’m not familiar with the gentleman. If GK3 is the last game theme he wrote, then the last time I heard it was a long time ago, and has faded from memory.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 06 December 2021 10:01 PM
Doom - 06 December 2021 01:34 PM

“fully produced adding synthesis and electronic textures and orchestral arrangements… utilizing both some of the original instruments from past games, and some of the best new technology and electronic synthesis and sampling tools”.

Which kind of says what I said as my second option.

If somebody else will be producing it, the costs of that would seem to need a second KS. And, it the actual manufacturing of the product involves CD duplication/packaging, or vinyl pressing/packaging and/or mechanism for digital distribution, that would seem to need a third KS funding.

I am not saying this is a bad idea. But I’m not familiar with the gentleman. If GK3 is the last game theme he wrote, then the last time I heard it was a long time ago, and has faded from memory.

He wrote music for all post-2000 games associated with Jane Jensen - Grey Matter, Moebius, Cognition and those casual games (Inspector Parker, etc). And his works for the GK series are hard to forget,  very distinctive and atmospheric style that contributed a lot to the gaming experience. A couple of tracks were already mentioned in this thread prior to my post.

As for the costs, he had already reached the original goal and set a new one ($50000), so by the end of campaign he might get all the funding it needs.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top