• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CelesteGBGabrielrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

If we get a new 2D, 3rd person point & click game, why it always has to be stylized art?

Total Posts: 69

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I am a fan of dark mystery themes, crime themes and illustrated realism-style graphics. I think that there has been recently too many “artsy-partsy” games. Not that I strickly would hate them, it’s just that they have overtaken the genre. In my games, I prefer realism over art. Anyone annoyed by this besides me?

~ Flight Of The Amazon Queen ~ Best Adventure ever!

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

well, if it’s a true 2D game it’s hard to imagine a realistic style (as long as you are not talking about still pre-rendered images or still photo images or something in that matter). If everything in the game is 2d I don’t mind the artsy-partsy look of it (but define what you mean by this pls)
if you are talking about stylized 3d that looks like 2d - then i completely agree. I’m sick of this cell-shading with outlines effect that studios like Pendulo use. I’m not too exited by the new broken sword either (sorry George, you just look ugly).

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You want every 2D game to look like Gabriel Knight 2?

I don’t think I know what stylized art is.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I like the style of Black Mirror games and Secret Files-games. It’s hard to explain what I mean with “artsy-partsy” ... something like fantasy world… alien objects… just things that doesn’t make sense in the real world.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Stylized Art is where an artist takes an initiative to incorporate a specific style to an overall artistic direction. What he’s talking about is ‘Realistic’ visuals. Maybe not Photorealistic like the game you stated, Gabriel Knight 2, but not to the where everything looks like a graphic novel, cartoon, or some unusually stylized direction.

Gabriel Knight 1 is pretty realistic in its direction. Sure its painted, but it was nothing less than trying to capture the beauty of realism. Hence why Gabriel Knight 2 took the live action route.

Quest for Glory has always captured the realistic look, but it was pretty fantastical because of its setting.

Isn’t Still Life considered realistic? Bad choice probably since its a 2.5D game.

In the end, its about imitating life, not the emotional artistic outlook of it which drives such stylized visuals.

I think it would be cool to have the technological powerhouse of engines used for Uncharted and Heavy Rain to create a 2d perspective point and click adventure. It’d be so awesome.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Still Life was definitely realistic. I loved the graphics of that game.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Well, we just had Resonance, Secret Files 3, Miskatonic, Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel, Stroke of Fate and NCIS. That’s just in the last year. What games have you been playing? Smile

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2009-05-28

PM

My favorite styles are those of Black Mirror 2 and the Scorpio Ritual and Dracula Origin. Not sure how you describe those..

I also dislike the trend for what I would call comic book visuals.. and I cant stand the realism (actual photos method) of some games..

Secret files 2 I didn’t mind(though its a while since I played it) but 3 seems to have really gone for a more simplistic style. The lighting just seems wrong and it feels cheap.I also feel like I’m to close to the character - it lacks space and the feeling of large areas. Lost Horizon had the same issues, Horrible.

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

Oscar - 26 October 2012 04:16 AM

Well, we just had Resonance, Secret Files 3, Miskatonic, Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel, Stroke of Fate and NCIS. That’s just in the last year. What games have you been playing? Smile

Resonance is yet to be tested, but i’m certainly looking forward to it, because I really liked Blackwell games. Secret Files 3 was awesome. Miscatonic I didn’t like, because it felt so cheap and amateruish. Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel was brilliant, BUT ruined with one of the gaming history’s most horrible interface. (seriously, has using things together ever been more frustrating?) Stroke Of Fate was good. Played it through and really enjoyed it (only nitpicking is the fact that first sentence of the main character is not voice-acted in dialogues, but that was rather small issue)NCIS… was that really 2D 3rd person point & click..? If it was, I’ve missed something.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Maybe NCIS was 3D, I’m only going based on the screenshots. Anyway I doubt you’d want my input anymore since I thought most games on that list were terrible, besides Resonance. How the heck did you find Dead Mountaineer’s Hotel brilliant?

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

i’m with Oscar….i’m pretty difficult in being dissuaded to play a game i’ve already started….but that voice acting in DMH…..man oh man…..it’s not even amateurish…no it’s like getting people off the streets or unprepared voice actors and throwing them in a studio with a script in their hands and without any time to skim read it they did the VOs.i haven’t continued it yet..and i’ve only played like 5 minutes…i will play it sometime but now it’s at the bottom of my list.and for the record,imo A stroke of fate was better than DMH by lightyears,in general and as a book adaptation(since both of them were).i’m actually waiting on the sequel and i have no problem with Akella in general but DMH felt very rushed.at least the english localisation.it might actually be better in russian.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Not pertraining to DMH. I too dislike the use of ‘real photos’ or the like. One of the games which I changed my opinion about (I wanted to post in the opinion thread, but I didn’t find the need to discuss) was the Lost Crown. Playing it again, I found it very engaging, but the simplistic 3d models with photomanipulation for backgrounds, it just seemed like a cheap photoshop job.

Its either go for polish, or don’t go at all. Thats just my opinion, I bet everyone loved Lost Crown’s graphics, but it just isn’t all that great. Every artist I know finds the backgrounds amateurish just because of the way they were handled.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

That’s not surprising - if every game had photo backgrounds, they would be out of a job Laughing But I’m not very interested what artists think. The Lost Crown looks and feels great to me.

Also, I believe Michael Nyquist of the Carol Reed games does them all single-handedly. Photography allows him to make one game a year. That’s impressive, and very satisfying for the fans.

Total Posts: 213

Joined 2011-11-13

PM

If the atmosphere of the game suits with it, I like stylized art, like cartoony look in Runaway series. Even so much it may be the only reason I pick up a game (eg The Cross Formula).
I also prefer such filters over 3D, as I’m not usually happy with 3D adventures picture quality. Ankh series (all Deck13 titles actually), Telltale series… those look blocky. I’m yet to try LA Noire which may change my opinion.

That said - I also like more realistic looks, like Secret Files series, Syberia series, House of Tales games, even Mata Hari, which period look really impressed me. Those are mostly 2.5D games - 3D characters in prerendered backgrounds. As backgrounds are nice, I’m happy.

All in all - for me, in adventures the story, atmosphere etc are more important than graphics. All kind of graphics can hide a brilliant game. I’m also playing a lot of FPS, TPS and driving games, and those games have to offer nice 3D picture as that may be the only thing to impress with. Smile

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

lewuz - 27 October 2012 05:19 PM

All in all - for me, in adventures the story, atmosphere etc are more important than graphics. All kind of graphics can hide a brilliant game. I’m also playing a lot of FPS, TPS and driving games, and those games have to offer nice 3D picture as that may be the only thing to impress with. Smile

Well, you can’t have atmosphere without graphics. Graphics are EXTREMELY important for atmosphere. Graphics are meant to complement the game, not hide hideous gameplay or to overshadow the brilliance of it.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

what he said ^^.though sometimes seemingly bad graphics work quite well in setting a good atmosphere.i think it’s more important to think of how you can create that atmosphere.if you see stylised art works for people then why not?i myself like both stylised and not.but it has to go well with the story,they have to complement each other like Monolith said otherwise the result is underachieving.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top