• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

STASIS

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Pyke - 08 April 2013 06:00 AM

There is an awesome french film called CARGO, and one called Dante 01 which is awesome.

Seen Cargo already, great film, checking the other.

Thanks!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

For those subscribed to the newsletter: we’ve gotten the first one today! Grin

Funny that Pyke seems to ask “Do I sound like Wikus van de Merwe from District 9?” because during that interview I pegged him as South African but with a “doesn’t sound like Wikus, though” afterthought… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Posted this on BSInfinite thread too, but Pyke your skills are amazing, this is
what i was trying to advocate in Moebius thread, Talent

I think you should start doing one image like this for every good IP.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Without criticising the artwork in any way at all I do have a query about the flags. Those on the right are limp, therefore no wind affecting them. The ones on the left are blowing straight out despite all bar one having a solid wall behind them. The one that has the open walkway behind it could have a strong breeze blowing it that way but, if so, then the flags on the right would be at least flapping towards the left (as we look at it).

That sort of jumped out at me right away which is a shame as the artwork is very impressive indeed.

Now cue a meteorologist telling me why the flags would behave as in the picture Wink

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Meh, they’re hanging against a wall, not just off a flagpole, so I reckon they get less wind… Tongue

Anyway, it’s awesome artwork, imo, and it reinforces my belief in Stasis… Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Seems fine. The wind direction provides this sort of scenario. Also wind path, wind tunneling, etc.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Whoa…this guy is talented.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

Whoa man, what an awesome incoming piece of adventure !  Cool

I spent some time reading your blog, thank you for sharing so much of your progresses!

As a sci-fi fan, I reaaaally like your designs, and as a 3d artist myself, I’m very astounded by your skills. (I especially got my eyes burnt with your “3 days cinematic” breakdown, great work !)

If I may ask an off-“adventure games”-topic question, did you have any experience on character animation (including rigging, skinning, etc.) before you entered these personal projects ? If not, how did you manage this painful (as a I’m concerned ha ha) but essential part ?

Anyway, I wish you the best for the next steps.  Content

EDIT :

Pyke - 08 April 2013 06:00 AM

There is an awesome french film called CARGO, and one called Dante 01 which is awesome.

Yes, these are very good sci-fi movies.  Cool

If I may, “Cargo” (and its awesome backgrounds) is a swiss movie.
And if I may a 2nd time Grin , in the same way I like to watch english-speaking movies in original version with subtitles, I would recommend to see “Dante 01” in its original french version with subtitles, as there are some really great actors, like Lambert Wilson or Dominique Pinon.  Wink

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i still remember when this thread started in the old forum many moons ago. So excited to see it come so far!!! Will definitely get it day 1!

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2007-11-28

PM

Hello, would like to throw my 2 cents in.
Stasis is an isometric game, I assume that was an artistic choice. It’s not my favourite perspective, but it’s working very well for you, especially considering the indoors claustrophobic setting.

I’d like to add, though, that you might want to consider other perspectives too for any future projects. Isometric tends to “flatten” things in my opinion, seeing 120° angles everywhere. And it works very well for “bird’s eye” views of outdoors scenarios, but it limits the possibilities a lot, like eye-level perspectives.

For example, if I were playing a video game with that impressive courtyard scene, I’d be curious to see what that towering statue looks like from below. Or that magnificent villa/palace, etc.

Anyway, congratulations!

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-06-05

PM

Chris, loved your newsletter. The excitement keeps mounting. Not much more to say other than don’t keep us hanging much longer :p

ZeframCochrane - 09 April 2013 11:16 AM

Hello, would like to throw my 2 cents in.
Stasis is an isometric game, I assume that was an artistic choice. It’s not my favourite perspective, but it’s working very well for you, especially considering the indoors claustrophobic setting.

I’d like to add, though, that you might want to consider other perspectives too for any future projects. Isometric tends to “flatten” things in my opinion, seeing 120° angles everywhere. And it works very well for “bird’s eye” views of outdoors scenarios, but it limits the possibilities a lot, like eye-level perspectives.

For example, if I were playing a video game with that impressive courtyard scene, I’d be curious to see what that towering statue looks like from below. Or that magnificent villa/palace, etc.

Anyway, congratulations!

The perspective is one of the main selling points of his work. I disagree; eye-level perspective is being done daily, enough already.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

isometric perspective is what makes this game so charming. it captures the atmosphere more than any other art style I can imagine. Moreover, how many recent isometric adventures (not rpg hybrids) can you think of?

Total Posts: 130

Joined 2010-12-09

PM

Thanks guys! sorry for not replying sooner-its been a crazy week. I actually had a 48 hour stretch at work, and came home to find I’d unpacked my new toiletries into my fridge. Sleep deprivation….serious stuff!

For the flags, I did notice it while I was putting the image together-but I really do these things just as a distraction. In a ‘final’ background, I would probably run each flag through its own sim, with 1 common wind emitter, so they would all be flowing and falling in the correct direction. Can I get away with an explanation about cross winds, and like…science?

With regards to animation and skinning, I do have experience in it, although never for a game. The trick with games comes in producing animation that’s subtle enough to not notice any looping. Im actually a horrible animator, so most of the animations come from downloaded motion capture data, which is cleaned up, tweaked, and then blended together with others.
The rigging its pretty simple. I use Character Studio, so the bone links are all set up, and the weights are hand painted onto the mesh. The model is low poly, and the final character is so small that you dont really notice the overlaps and any bad intersections on the mesh. I do have a high resolution Maracheck model for the cut scenes, thats rigged with a bit more care.. Wink

Apologies for getting Cargo wrong! I watched it on the same day as Dante 01, so got easily confused! I always watch foreign films in their original languages (with the exception of anime…I just find it hard to follow in Japanese), usually twice…once with Subtitles, and once without-just taking in the visuals without the distraction of reading!

I have considered using other perspectives, but I just love Isometric games. In STASIS, you will see some of the environments from a ‘first person’ point of view, from the cut scenes. I was considering, at one point, making a Myst style game-but in my current job I deal with ‘normal’ perspective in art all the time-so having things isometric helps in the mental separation of ‘work’ and ‘play’.
The isometric style, as has been said, is one of the big features of the game. I think its a very big, if not THE BIGGEST, reason for STASIS gaining popularity. Even traditional RPG players are getting excited about it-which I dont think would happen if it was first person, or even the more traditional 3rd person, side scroller’ type view of adventure games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top