• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

IGN article on adventure gaming

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

A.A - 19 January 2013 05:08 PM

Maybe this is the reason they don’t do more articles on adventure games.

If this is the reaction they get for ‘em…

Or maybe they’ll do better if held to higher standards. 

Adventure gamers really need to get over the inferiority complex when it comes to mainstream press. Far too many people think they’re picking on the genre when they give negative reviews (they don’t; they just don’t like those games), and far too many get giddy whenever the genre is even mentioned by one, even if they say absolutely nothing of value.

This article isn’t going to do any harm, obviously, but it’s still a total waste. If an article like this came across my desk from one of AG’s writers, it would have been sent right back with instructions to offer something—anything —of substance.

If we’re supposed to care that IGN wrote about the genre, they’d better have something to say.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Well, I suppose it is quite informative for most of their readership. I thought the article was okay. With The Walking Dead getting so many GOTY awards and mainstream visibility among their audience, they decided to go and expand on that story a little more.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The article doesn’t bother me, but it’s just if somebody was to describe a plane crash by saying the accident happened because the aircraft hit the ground. They’re referring only to the tip of the iceberg, which wouldn’t be such of a problem if you weren’t naming you article “Comeback” with all the fanfares. Also, they’re referring to Double Fine as a “major player in resurrecting the genre” - Double Fine (not Tim Schafer) still have to prove themselves.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Clearly, it wasn’t a very informative article for those of us who’s been paying attention all along. But it’s also obvious that IGN hasn’t been paying attention to our little niche, and I think it’s safe to say that neither has the majority of their readers, and so for most of them, this was probably a useful article. I sense a slight bit of an elitist attitude coming from some of you. Why can’t we just be happy that they finally give AG’s some airtime? Even if their info is somewhat erronous and 5 years out of date.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dag, I agree, but like I said - the only real problem I have with the article is because it’s named “Comeback”, instead of “One look at the adventure games”, or something.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

diego - 20 January 2013 11:27 AM

Also, they’re referring to Double Fine as a “major player in resurrecting the genre” - Double Fine (not Tim Schafer) still have to prove themselves.

Well, Double Fine has previously done Stacking, which to me is an adventure (I don’t know if there is a debate about this, but I could imagine someone has a problem with it) and a damn good one at that.

But when it comes to point & click, I guess they still need to prove themselves.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

diego - 20 January 2013 11:53 AM

Dag, I agree, but like I said - the only real problem I have with the article is because it’s named “Comeback”, instead of “One look at the adventure games”, or something.

And I agree with you. But has there really been anything happening within the world of adventure games over the past 5-6 years that have caused more attention than DFA’s kickstarter? Or any title that have come closer to mainstream than TWD? How long is it since we’ve seen actors of Ellen Page’s caliber lend their talents to the genre? I don’t think it’s all that wrong to say that there’s something brewing right now, that is bigger than anything we saw 5 years ago.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dag - 20 January 2013 11:46 AM

But it’s also obvious that IGN hasn’t been paying attention to our little niche

Actually, now that you mention it, it’s also how the article is inconsistent with their reviews as another problem. I’ve been reading IGN (at least until they changed to the confusing current design) and some of the highest rated games are - TBOUT, Ceville, Gemini Rue and Botanicula, yet the article makes no mention of AGS and independent, or German/European developers.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Yeah, true that. IGN should’ve hired one of Adventure Gamers admins to get some actual expertise on the field.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top